PDA

View Full Version : Dammit, i think the motor is shot

93sundance
01-16-2008, 02:02 AM
Here is the story.

I found my brother a "cool" car. It is a 93 Daytona ES 3.0L 5 speed. The price was $400. The body is real good for its age. The paintjob is going to hell, but oh well. Anyway, he bought the car with a bad head gasket. I tore the motor apart with him. I did not see any spots where the gasket "BLEW OUT". However, there was alot of coolant in the oil. I inspected the block. I am wondering if the head is warped or cracked.

Here is the pickle. Most of the cylinders had rough spots in them. It was a real disappointment. He wants a running car ASAP, even if it has a pos motor. Here is my question. If most of the cylinders have some rough spots in them, will the motor fail quickly? That is what I am assuming will happen. I cant see the rings lasting for very long. We are about ready to buy a short block from the junk yard, and bolt the heads on that. Screw it

He just wants a working vehicle NOW! Even if we have to reassemble that POS motor for now. WHat do you all think? Total waste of time trying to make that engine work?

supercrackerbox
01-16-2008, 03:11 AM
Best I can say is give it a shot. I had a similar situation once. Actually make that twice, once with a Daytona and once with a 3.1 Cavalier. Both times I discovered that the block was actually cracked inside one of the cylinders. So at very least, I'd turn it over as much as possible and look at those bores really close. But you could throw it back together and if you're lucky, drive it until you pick up a good long block to swap in.

93sundance
01-16-2008, 03:19 AM
We are thinking about reassembling it for now. The crappy part is spending money on the gaskets, and head bolts for a motor that might only last for a matter of months :( It is a hard decision to make. We may just find a ride to the yard to find a decent short block.

RoadWarrior222
01-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Well there's those kits been popping up on eBay for the 3.0s for like ~$60ish with all the gaskets valve seals and headbolts etc... dunno if it would get to you quick enough.. but it's a lot cheaper than what most parts stores want even for a top end kit, or gaskets and bolts bought seperate.

Frank
01-16-2008, 07:49 AM
You maybe just be able to find another motor for under $300. It should only take 4hrs to swap it out with 2-3 people. Maybe someone has one on this board.

raccoon
01-16-2008, 07:50 AM
I agree get a used junkyard engine.

5sp. mini
01-16-2008, 07:56 AM
can you run a hone in the cyc. bores to help. then blow them out real good. see if that helpes. als

Turbodave
01-16-2008, 12:38 PM
I would just look for a good running used engine. Shouldn't be too hard to find a van with a bad trans and good engine, they pop up every day in paper. Buy one for $300, pull the engine, throw your junk one in the back, cut the converter off (they are getting good money approx $50 or more for an oem one). Scrap the van for a decent amount and you've got most of your money back, just out some time.

93sundance
01-16-2008, 12:55 PM
I would just look for a good running used engine. Shouldn't be too hard to find a van with a bad trans and good engine, they pop up every day in paper. Buy one for $300, pull the engine, throw your junk one in the back, cut the converter off (they are getting good money approx $50 or more for an oem one). Scrap the van for a decent amount and you've got most of your money back, just out some time.

Yea, It just sucks when you don't have a cherry picker to pull the motor, and don't even have a vehicle to pick one up.

We were hoping we could just replace the head gaskets, and mill the heads at the most. Of course the whole engine has to be shot. DOH!

We decided against trying to salvage that engine. No sense in spending the time and money to re-assemble. It would have excessive blow bye, and oil consumption. It probably wouldn't last more than a few months in that condition.

87glhs232
01-16-2008, 01:24 PM
I have learned that just throwing a motor together to get it running ultimately is a bigger headache than doing it right the first time. Yeah he wants the car NOW, maybe he should have started this a few months ago or get a car that isn't a basket case.

If I were you and considering a JY motor then I would be really picky about the motor I select. Pull plugs, pull VC's, pull heads, look for the freshest build. I have averaged only 6 months on JY motors.

Just my .02$

88_pacifica
01-16-2008, 01:31 PM
... or do what I just told him to do. Get another junker that RUNS for $300 as a DD and then trickle money into the Daytona as time and money permits. :nod:

j4278h
01-16-2008, 02:40 PM
or buy the 150 dollar engine thats sitting in my garage.

Turbodave
01-16-2008, 02:40 PM
... or do what I just told him to do. Get another junker that RUNS for $300 as a DD and then trickle money into the Daytona as time and money permits. :nod:

Yeah, for $300 he should be able to find a nice Buick or something :p

88_pacifica
01-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah, for $300 he should be able to find a nice Buick or something :p

Ha... exactly... Reliable, with the Ironduke motor! ;) :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
01-16-2008, 03:05 PM
It can run with rough bores, and unless there cracked, they won't leak coolant. If your in a hurry, get the heads pressure tested and planed, throw it together, put some gunk in the oil and you should be fine. I haven't heard of 3.0L's cracking the blocks before.

93sundance
01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
or buy the 150 dollar engine thats sitting in my garage.

Maybe. I told him to consider doing that. He is just worried about buying a motor that he cant hear run, unless he can tear it apart and inspect it himself. I can't really blame him. I still think that buying yours is his best bet. What is the mileage on that engine? Do you know for certain that it is in excellent shape??

That damn kid needs to get a computer so he can get online and join this board.

93sundance
01-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Ha... exactly... Reliable, with the Ironduke motor! ;) :thumb:

I drove a 91 skylark with the Iron Duke. It took about 2 years of abuse from me before she finally blew. :nod:

Not bad for $500

Dodge Aries K
05-26-2008, 03:37 AM
I loathe the Duke... *cringes* You know, if you listen closely, it sounds like that when it runs.

DukedukeDUKEdukedukedukeDUKEdukedukeDUKEdukedukedu ke... Ick.

Vigo
05-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Reliable, with the Ironduke motor!

2000 rpm, 3000, 4000, 5000, bang thousand, silence thousand, sadness thousand rpm lol.

2.2turboscotty
05-27-2008, 10:32 AM
It can run with rough bores, and unless there cracked, they won't leak coolant. If your in a hurry, get the heads pressure tested and planed, throw it together, put some gunk in the oil and you should be fine. I haven't heard of 3.0L's cracking the blocks before.

i haven't seen any 3.0 cracked blocks myself mostly just the heads warped. i am with Simon on this one, check heads, resurface and throw it back together and ride. i have seen motors that sit around with coolant in the bore and it causes some "spots" in the bore and sometimes pits, tryed it anyway and got lucky i quess.

bn880
05-27-2008, 11:41 AM
It was probably your gasket... just not easily visible.

Otherwise the head(s), get em tested. Tested is a funny term though, here in Ottawa Canada every G head from 2.2/2.5l would come back as "bad" after tests, yet I'm running one of them for 9 years and close to 400Hp most of the time...no leaks, outlasted pistons. (those little cracks confuse ppl)

93sundance
05-27-2008, 12:01 PM
My bro found a good used motor for $125. We dropped that in a few weeks ago.