PDA

View Full Version : Ok Need Some Help With Shifter Linkage

turbocoupe
02-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Ok Im In The Process Of Installing A 5spd In My Car I Have An 88 Chrysler Lebaron Turbo So I Got The Linkage Unit Plus The 5spd From A 89 Daytona Turbo And Want To Know Were Do You Drill The Holes To Run The Linkage Threw The Firewall To The Tranny And Also Were The Clutch Cable Hole Go As Well.

Thanks
Joey (turbocoupe):)

cordes
02-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Ok Im In The Process Of Installing A 5spd In My Car I Have An 88 Chrysler Lebaron Turbo So I Got The Linkage Unit Plus The 5spd From A 89 Daytona Turbo And Want To Know Were Do You Drill The Holes To Run The Linkage Threw The Firewall To The Tranny And Also Were The Clutch Cable Hole Go As Well.

Thanks
Joey (turbocoupe):)

The hole for the clutch cable goes through the firewall near the brake booster straight up from the clutch pedal in the car.

The hole for the clutch cables will go though the floor behind the consoul under the radio. Your best bet would be to find a car in the local JY, or a friends 5spd. car so that you can get a reall good look at it in person.

turbocoupe
02-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Hey thanks, last night i was looking threw a repair manual and saw the same thing you pointed out. BUT i will keep what you said in mind i prob will go to a junk yard and take a look

Subliminal
02-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Good advice above.

The clutch cable hole should already be there. At least it was in the two cars I've played around with this in.

The shifter cables, well, looking at a car that's already a 5 speed will definitely help. I drilled the holes in my 85 600ES right dead center, and now I have to figure out how to shield them from the exhaust. If I were to do it again, I think i'd shoot for off center.

d

turbocoupe
02-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Good advice above.

The clutch cable hole should already be there. At least it was in the two cars I've played around with this in.

The shifter cables, well, looking at a car that's already a 5 speed will definitely help. I drilled the holes in my 85 600ES right dead center, and now I have to figure out how to shield them from the exhaust. If I were to do it again, I think i'd shoot for off center.

d
But if im not mistaking their should already be a tab looking thing there so hopefully theirs is one so it would make it easier for me to do the swap the only thing im worryed about is the clutch padel unit.

Subliminal
02-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Well, on my car there was no special tab where the shifter cables went through. But i'm not even sure if they ever made a E body with a stick. Who knows?

Anyway, the clutch pedal unit is kind of a pain to get in and out. Basically, you really need to pull out the whole pedal cluster and replace it with one from a 5 speed. There's a pedal stop for the clutch that isn't there on an automatic. You have to get real down and dirty with the car to get that pedal cluster in and out. Crawl under the dash, find all the bolts, etc. It's a pretty decent size piece of metal.

But, it's all doable. I did it. Although, that car still isn't running, i don't think it's because of the 5 speed conversion. ;)

Post up any specific questions you might have as they come...

turbocoupe
02-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Well, on my car there was no special tab where the shifter cables went through. But i'm not even sure if they ever made a E body with a stick. Who knows?

Anyway, the clutch pedal unit is kind of a pain to get in and out. Basically, you really need to pull out the whole pedal cluster and replace it with one from a 5 speed. There's a pedal stop for the clutch that isn't there on an automatic. You have to get real down and dirty with the car to get that pedal cluster in and out. Crawl under the dash, find all the bolts, etc. It's a pretty decent size piece of metal.

But, it's all doable. I did it. Although, that car still isn't running, i don't think it's because of the 5 speed conversion. ;)

Post up any specific questions you might have as they come...

well my plan was to remove the whole dash because i have vibration coming from the dash and want to to WTF is doin that. so now i have a chance to get down and dirty. i know its a long process but for me i think its worth it. im just waiting for every thing to come only thing i have next is to get a tranny which is not hard and to get a computer from a shelby z 88-89. but thanks oh ya trust you'll hear from me lol

Boogieman142
02-22-2006, 11:27 PM
I used my auto bracket that has spent 13 yeard under my dash, all that i did was drill out the spot welds on the clutch stop and drilled 2 coresponding holes to those and bolted it on (the 3rd spot weld could not be bolted to the auto bracket because of where it bolts to the firewall) i also slotted the holes on it so i could adjust the pedal height, i made it the same as the brake pedal installed. If you have cruise make sure to wire in a clutch switch too or it will not work.

turbocoupe
02-23-2006, 12:30 AM
i took cruise out because it was in my way of things so i trashed it

Subliminal
02-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Yeah, cruise is ALWAYS in the way. Taking that out always seems to help with room under the hood. AC too...although that can be a bit more useful sometimes, but usually doesn't work anyway...

TurboGLH
02-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Good advice above.

d

The few times I've swaped a auto car to stick I did them pretty much to center, but I removed the heat shield from the exhaust hump first and routed the cables behind that as far as possible as thats the way they're done stock. If your looking for cable heat sheilds, the srt-4 uses them. Not sure if they're available seperate or not, but might be worth a trip to the dealer to check.

turbocoupe
02-24-2006, 01:51 AM
The few times I've swaped a auto car to stick I did them pretty much to center, but I removed the heat shield from the exhaust hump first and routed the cables behind that as far as possible as thats the way they're done stock. If your looking for cable heat sheilds, the srt-4 uses them. Not sure if they're available seperate or not, but might be worth a trip to the dealer to check.

Ok thanks when my 5 unit comes i'll check stuff out and see i'll figure something out cause one way or another i'll make it work LOL
;)

turbocoupe
02-24-2006, 08:54 PM
OK my clutch (Borg warner) just came in my tranny(A-555) will be here Monday (can't wait ....YAHH) and the cables and access will be here hopefully Thursday and again I say yahh!!! this is great. All i have to do now is what till its gets warmer cause its freaking freezing in CT but their only so many more day till winters over and then spring hits and that a YAHHH!!! again