PDA

View Full Version : The Exchange - Discussion & Opinions Needed!

Frank
01-11-2008, 11:08 PM
We have recently decided to add what we call prefixes to the Exchange area as it was helpful for members to determine the general content of the thread and also filter out threads which might not contain what they are interested in. After it's implementation, we had to work out some format and some display issues to perfect it. I would say that we are successful and we have many people who are pleased with the setup.

For those who are unsure about how to effectively use prefixes, let me explain. When you create a thread in the Parts For Sale, the Parts Wanted, and the Cars section, the user has to assign the best description of this ad. In the case of the Car section, the only options are For Sale, Wanted, and Trade. To continue this example, when you enter the Car section, you can immediately go to the bottom of the page and ask for all cars that are being sold by selecting For Sale from the Display option box. This will then update the screen to show only those that meet your requests! The same can be done to find all transmission related parts in the Parts For Sale section or even the Parts Wanted section. It is quite handy.

This leaves us with a dilemma for the Parts sections - organization. My personal opinion is that we would force members to only post parts that fall within that prefix. In other words, we would ask that if you select Transmission, that only transmission parts be placed in that ad. The same would especially go for General. If you have parts that meet other prefixes, then you would have to create a new thread to house those parts. This create some interesting debates about the hassle of creating separate threads for different groups of parts someone might be selling... especially when it comes to people selling off their garage or whatever. Some even felt that it would lead to decreased transactions within those areas and people would go elsewhere. Others disagreed because they felt it was increase the efficiency of buying or selling. It could also increase a person's chance of selling because it was easily found by using the prefix option.

At first this was going to be a poll. However a poll is limited. I would love to hear your opinions on the matter and would be willing to hear suggestions which a poll cannot do.

Thanks!
Frank

So I would love to

Frank
01-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Bump...

moparzrule
02-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Oh I just used General when I had a whole bunch of parts. Like you said I think it's a PITA and clutters up stuff if you create 5 threads when you could just list the parts FS in one thread and be fine.
Would it be possible to be able to choose more than 1 prefix for the same thread? Like maybe have a up to 3 prefix limit? Just a thought.

Turbodave
02-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Would it be possible to be able to choose more than 1 prefix for the same thread? Like maybe have a up to 3 prefix limit? Just a thought.

The software won't let it do that, I had suggested the same thing to Frank a while back. Great minds think alike :D

looneytuner
02-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Leave it as is.
Yes I still use my 1968 Sansui amp also. It also works well without the latest bells and whistles. ;)

DC Turismo
02-11-2008, 08:50 PM
The general prefix works well for when individuals are selling various parts within one thread. That actually makes me look into that thread seeing that there may be something interesting inside, compared to a thread that lists one part in the title but then the seller lists a few other things he is also selling.

Even if you could do it, having more than one prefix though would make a lot of for sale ads two lines long, causing the page to be longer and more spaced out.

Frank
02-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Well I did just make it so that if you click a prefix while in the thread view or search, it will take you to that forum and only show those prefix items. Should make it easy to view say Transmissions or whatever.