PDA

View Full Version : Oh noes, teh PCV fumes are getting chilly...

RoadWarrior222
01-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Don't laugh.....
Ford Tempo

hah, caught you already...

So the loaner beater the terrible Tempo turns up last night billowing clouds of steam.... graaarrrr... couple of warm days I was gonna spend on the minivan and this one rolls up dying again...

So I find it is seeming to come from the 1/4 line coming off the heatercore inlet hose. Leaky connection I figure...

This morning, I pull off the spring clip, wiggle it, and YOINK, gah rusty nipple syndrome, the fugger has come off with the hose...

So I just need a new heater core hose assembly, easy...

... apart from what teh F is that 1/4 inch line for anyway....

Hit up the the MOTOR domestics manual... no joy
Hit up autozone repair info... nada
Hit up the Ford FSM for the exact year and model... nuzzing... I'm picking through every parts diagram with a magnifying glass... NOTHING!!

Gah, go back, use my eyes... no it's not a manifold heater, too far from the TB to be a TB heater, doh, umm, the PCV hose goes right through the fitting, WTF a PCV heater??? an hour of google later... N to the O to the THING.

Whatever, phone a couple of parts guys...
"It's got this 1/4 line tapped into it...."
yeah, nothing.

Oh, oho, aha... something about a retrofit for a Monterey/Explorer sounds similar, stops icing... okay... TSBs dig out the frigging TSBs why not...

Retrofit Kit for oil leakage/spray when driven at -23C -10F or colder on the highway for extended periods... apparently the PCV ices up from condensation at -23C and then blocks forcing fumes through the airbox... which ices up everything else.... hmmm nice....

ring ring ring ford dealer parts dept, "What's this FZYP-$$$$-Alphasoup-alphasoup retrofit kit? and can I get the heater hose for it?"
FDMan: nope.
What's the kit worth
FDMan: $200 plus your firstborn.
No thanks...

So this wasted all day along with an hour or so wandering the Home Depot plumbing aisles figuring out if I could fit something together in 100% steel or 100% brass (Actually I could but it would be a $30 pile of bits that I'd only really use half of, I couldn't be arsed)

So screw it, 6ft of 3/4 ID hose for $5 and it's getting ripped out tomorrow, Tempo will have to put up with chilly PCV fumes. (Note to self, no trips up to Yellowknife until Mayish)

RW222

turbovanmanČ
01-08-2008, 12:14 AM
I would just run the pcv to the intake, I've never seen that heater here but then again, it never gets THAT cold here, :lol: :clap:

RoadWarrior222
01-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Well that was fun... Got the hose replaced, took most of the day yesterday due to being so damn tight back there. Arm is all bruised and scratched up. Bugger was plenty stuck too, thought I was gonna pull the heater core through the firewall. Cutting it off would have been easier of course, but I wouldn't have had good control of a knife back there and there was all sorts of other crap, PS lines, electrics, vacuum lines, other coolant hoses, that I could have stuck the knife into if it slipped. Was starting to wonder if it's easier to jack the motor off the mounts to get at it...

I would just run the pcv to the intake, I've never seen that heater here but then again, it never gets THAT cold here, :lol: :clap:

Well the PCV goes straight into the intake through the heat exchanger gizmo with two 2ft long 1/4 or 1/8 ID hoses down the back there to the heater hose takeoffs. So I just deplumbed the coolant lines, left it still going through the heat exchanger. Couldn't be bothered finding the right fitting to delete it completely. (Though I might do if I decide I need a small heat exchanger for other purposes)

I kinda wonder though... if steam freezes in 10 inches of PCV pipe at -23, how much good does it do having the coolant heat it when it has to run through 2ft of really thin tube, can't be very warm by the time it gets there. Woulda thunk it might be more effective to just thermal wrap the PCV hose to keep it warmer. (Hence I guess why you see a foam outer on some PCV hoses)

88_pacifica
01-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Ford

Problem solved...