PDA

View Full Version : Fuel: Dangit! Rusty fuel tank!

DaveSkrab
01-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Hey all,
I've been working on a crappy driveability problem for a while on my CSXT, and finally came to the conclusion that it's a restricted fuel supply. Mainly, the pickup for the fuel pump... plugged with rust flakes... YUP! the inside is completely rusty. So, here's the "need help" part

I am in need of a rust free fuel tank for my '88 P Body. Hopefully with in 100 miles of 20878 or 25401.

Thanks in advance,
Dave Skrab
'88 CSXT #807 Yay!
'95 NYG Neon 242,179mi - Damned water pump!
'06 Ninja 500R

turbovanmanČ
01-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Go to any major parts store and order a new one.

mark
01-07-2008, 10:44 PM
i bought mine from these guys. it came primered black already.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-90-89-DODGE-SHADOW-FUEL-GAS-TANK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118QQcateg oryZ33556QQihZ014QQitemZ8067512357QQrdZ1QQsspagena meZWD1V

87glhs232
01-07-2008, 10:55 PM
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php has one for $80 and one for $108. Parts America sells the same ones for $118 and $165.

DaveSkrab
01-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the link,
Napa $110 - my discounted price. I've been trying to keep this on a minimal budget, If I'm not able to find a cheap used tank in a couple days, I'll be buying a new one.

Dave Skrab

DaveSkrab
01-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Hey,
Thanks for the multiple links!

Dave Skrab

Clay
01-07-2008, 11:08 PM
I wouldnt even mess with a used tank when they are so cheap. Its just not worth it in the long run.

Directconnection
01-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I wouldnt even mess with a used tank when they are so cheap. Its just not worth it in the long run.

I tossed out a pretty rust free tank from my shadow this past fall. But, you know what? After removing/handling it and draining the gas and all i got some crap from the outside knocked inside. With that said, I wouldn't ever bother with a used tank unless they were not available.

I got mine from Rock Auto and also ordered the straps and it was under $120 shipped to my door and within 3 days.

Get the straps and plan on the nut/bolts breaking off. (don't use heat!) Cut the straps and after it's out, maybe you can use heat on the nuts to save the weld in studs.

DaveSkrab
01-11-2008, 01:07 AM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the "just buy a new one" talk. I ended up finding a fuel tank supplier / warehouse locally.. and Cheap.
Car made it apart and back together tonight and running fantastically!

Dave Skrab
'88 CSXT #807
'95 NYG Neon 242,179mi
'06 Ninja 500R

87glhs232
01-11-2008, 01:32 AM
:clap:

JDAWG
01-11-2008, 01:52 AM
poop! wish I had seen this earlier. I happen to have a 88 in my backyard and if you woulda came down and helped me take the tank out I would have given it to you. But glad it worked out for you.

edit- what supplier was it? I can get tanks from cummins radiator in bmore pretty cheap

Clay
01-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the "just buy a new one" talk. I ended up finding a fuel tank supplier / warehouse locally.. and Cheap.
Car made it apart and back together tonight and running fantastically!

Good deal! I helped a friend of a friend out with an 89 TBI omni for a few months. He didn't want to buy a new fuel tank for the car, even though it had been sitting for a long time with nasty gas it in. After I changed the 3rd fuel pump in 4 weeks I told him when it fails the next time, either buy a new tank or find someone else to work on it. I mean it was getting ridiculous when the inlet sock was so packed with crap the pump wouldn't work, and you could SEE all the rust and crud in the bottom of the tank no matter how much you tried to clean it out.

So good deal! You made the right choice here!

gti_7
01-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Do all aftermarket i.e third party gas tanks come with the factory baffles? So that when your taking corners or accelerating your gas gauge isn't flying the entire spectrum of the gauge from "E" to "F"? If so which brands?

thanks
bernie

Clay
01-11-2008, 11:16 AM
as long as the tank is suppose to have the baffle (ie in take fuel pump), then Im sure it does. They are a bit different though. My GLHT has a newer aftermarket tank in it that is from the previously mentioned 89 TBI car. It has a baffle in it, but its all metal unlike the factory baffle which is plastic. Seems to work OK to me. Multiple low 8 second 1/8th mile passes with no issues.

JDAWG
01-11-2008, 02:47 PM
or you can out that foam stuff in it

DaveSkrab
01-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks again everyone,
I ended up contacting a Radiator Supplier in Frederick, MD called SPI. they had the tank in stock and came to $100 with tax.
The contact info came from a co-worker who is friends with the lady I dealt with over there. So I may have gotten the hookup.
The tank had "SP Inc." and "Made in Canada" stamped into it. It was not painted but was coated with cosmoline (sp?). it also came with new locking rings for the sender and pump. Unfortunately I had to reuse the filler neck seal. Also with good penetrating oil and alot of back and forth patience the studs remained intact. So I chased the rest of the rust off of them and lubed the threads before installing the tank straps.
I cleaned up and painted the straps, and put a layer of undercoating on the bottom and lower sides of the tank. Also used some single sided foam tape on the top side, as the original tank padding was trashed.
All in all I'm pleased.

I'll snap a couple pics next time I have it on the lift.

86Shelby
01-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Good deal! I helped a friend of a friend out with an 89 TBI omni for a few months. He didn't want to buy a new fuel tank for the car, even though it had been sitting for a long time with nasty gas it in.

Another option is to remove it, drain it. Then wash it out with muratic acid. Slosh it around inside, let it sit in there for a few minutes, then drain and repeat. After a few time the inside will be rust free. Be sure to do a rinse with a powerwasher to help knock loose the last bits stuck inside. I did that on my GLHT but with new tanks being the price they are from other vendors I don't think I would do that again. No one in town listed one for under $200, so 30 minutes of my time was worth it.

JDAWG
01-13-2008, 03:18 PM
SPI, I have dealt with them before. They do rads, heater cores, evaporaters, stuff like that. There is also another company in Baltimore called Cummins Radiator, they do the same types of things. I have gotten alot of tanks from them, most are around $100 - $150

turbovanmanČ
01-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Yep, Spectra Products, there a bit thinner than stock but you can't beat the price, :nod:

DaveSkrab
01-14-2008, 04:18 PM
It DID feel kind of light when I was positioning it up in place. LOL