PDA

View Full Version : I have a cooling question!

3Bar_Mopar
02-20-2006, 09:55 PM
I don't have a heater control valve and my heater core is disconnected...yes it's cold....can I just run two hoses directly to the core from the engine??

What terrible horror will come from that?

87turbodance
02-20-2006, 10:04 PM
do it! One from the pump and one from the head

86Shelby
02-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Watch out for a leaky heater core. Unless the car was used as a racer there may be a problem with the core. Only way you'll find out is to try! Good luck!!

turbovanmanČ
02-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Yep, just hook it up. The valve is only used when you select full cold or max a/c-then the coolant bypass's the core so you get a fully cold heater core.

ludwig340
02-21-2006, 09:57 AM
You might want to back flush the heater core as it may have had some sludge sitting in it for X months/years. Otherwise, hook it up!

JohnnyLightning86
02-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Since you don't know the condition of the heater core, I suggest hooking up a water hose to one side, and a long drain hose to the other. This will also give you the chance to clean it out some before hooking it up to your coolant system. If there is any trash in it, flushing it with some water first will help prevent any trash from getting into the other parts of the system.

There is a coolant system flush kit you can buy at any Wal-Mart or parts store that only cost about $3 or so. The kit has a plastic T that allows you to connect it right into the return heater hose line that goes to the water pump. The T allows you to connect a water hose directly to it. Though you have to pinch off one side to force the water through the heater core.

Turbodave
02-21-2006, 11:14 AM
I've been running my daily driver without the bypass valve for years since I removed the A/C on it anyhow. No problems resulted. Non-air cars don't even come with that valve.

Good advice on flushing it first..

3Bar_Mopar
02-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys...I will flush first. I unhooked the core last summer because one of the hose barbs on the core were kinda bent, not letting the hose clamp seal right and causing a leak. It was hot out anyway, so I just bypassed the core instead of messing with it.