PDA

View Full Version : How to change valve stem seals?

3Bar_Mopar
02-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Without using a spring compressor? There has got to be a trick using a screwdriver or something.....I don't have a valve spring compressor and I want to know if there's another way!

ssheen
02-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Not like TurboDave a few threads below. :D

I have seen a few do it with a crow bar, large screw driver etc. Personally I prefer the spring compressor.

Boogieman142
02-20-2006, 11:04 PM
are the heads off the car, or on it, if they are off it you can try a socket and tap on them. the spring compressors are much better though. u can get one at sears for like 40 i think.

turbovanmanČ
02-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Don't even try it without the proper tools, you will be cursing, swearing and you will probably not finish the job, or at the very least, do more damage than good.

BadAssPerformance
02-21-2006, 12:06 AM
I bought my spring compressor for $10 at Sears, well worth the price.

3Bar_Mopar
02-21-2006, 01:04 AM
I might just have to break down and buy the damn compressor....:p

turbovanmanČ
02-21-2006, 02:54 AM
I might just have to break down and buy the damn compressor....:p

Either that or you break something else, :eyebrows:

Turbodave
02-21-2006, 11:06 AM
I think it was $17.99 for the spring compressor at Sears last week when I bought it. I've used misc tools to remove keepers and get a spring off, but trying to get them back on without a spring compressor would be a challenge.

See my thread on what not to do before you start, spent a good chunk of an afternoon trying to retrieve a dropped valve with a magnet :banghead:

Subliminal
02-21-2006, 11:26 AM
That's probably a tool you could 'loan' out at autozone for free, no?

turbovanmanČ
02-21-2006, 01:50 PM

They probably do but for $20, why bother, :nod:

Subliminal
02-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Simon,

You can tell you aren't married...or poor. LOL

If I spend another penny on my GTS (after my wife basically forbade me to buy it), I think she'd skin me alive.

That being said...good point...grin

ssheen
02-21-2006, 04:25 PM
I have a good friend that uses a big pry bar of some sort. He is the shop foreman at a local speed shop. I was very suprised to see him use that. He was quicker with that than I am with my spring compressor. Admitly, that is not saying too much. :D This was with the cam in the head. Obviously it can be done, but as the others say a spring compressor does make it easy.

turbovanmanČ
02-21-2006, 05:57 PM
Simon,

You can tell you aren't married...or poor. LOL

If I spend another penny on my GTS (after my wife basically forbade me to buy it), I think she'd skin me alive.

That being said...good point...grin

Hahahaha, :eyebrows:

Trust me, I am poor but sometimes, yeah, it just makes sense, lol!

Directconnection
02-21-2006, 06:42 PM
are the heads off the car, or on it, if they are off it you can try a socket and tap on them. the spring compressors are much better though. u can get one at sears for like 40 i think.

Bad idea! Using the socket trick works quick and easy for valves you do not care about using again. The reason it works, is because the valve head actually bottoms out and will get bent. Not enought to notice by eye, but enough that it will cause runout and should be avoided. Get the proper valve spring compressor tool. I got mine at Sears and had to modify it to make it clear the cam towers and is a beeothc to use, but it works. Someday, I'll *spring* for the proper ohc tool.

Subliminal
02-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Pun intended? :)

Directconnection
02-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Pun intended? :)

Ayuh!

cordes
02-22-2006, 12:16 AM

They did not have the lever style when I went in there. The lever style compressor is the only way to go IMHO.