PDA

View Full Version : To Thermal Coat Or Not?

Polygon
01-05-2008, 02:14 AM
I'll be getting a TU cast header and I want to know if everyone thinks that the thermal coating is worth it or not.

crazymadbastard
01-05-2008, 02:35 AM
It can only help, but I would do the scroll and swingvalve too.
I tryed diy techline black satin and after 6 months on my swingvalve it was already shot. The manifold looked rusty too after some time- 1.5 years. I prepped the best I could and sanblasted and cleaned again before spraying.
There is a company called jet-hot. That stuff looks good and lots of hot rods run that.
I also put a thermal blanket under my intake manifold, it is like a fiberglass mat with sticky backing and foil I got from summit.

Polygon
01-05-2008, 03:02 AM
Well, I just got the SV, so I guess I'll have to send it to Jet Hot. I was considering using them to do my DP but I had a ton of people tell me it was a waste. If I do the header I'll have Chris do it.

Also, what's the difference between the cast and SS header? I assume the SS is welded? Any flow differences?

Chris W
01-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Our new header is made of cast iron and flows 484 lbs per minute. Our previous version was welded stainless steel elbows and flowed around 400 lbs per minute.

Chris-TU

Turbodave
01-08-2008, 11:43 AM
The ported manifold on my Shadow was Jet-hot coated. I bought the manifold used and it the coating was nice then, still looks the same now even after 7 years of running it.

contraption22
01-08-2008, 01:43 PM
I say go with the coating, but as stated eariler, if you are gonna do it, get your turbine housing and swingvalve coated too.

turbovanmanČ
01-08-2008, 02:47 PM
I would do it, I used www.performancecoatings.com did an awesome job, :amen:

Polygon
01-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Our new header is made of cast iron and flows 484 lbs per minute. Our previous version was welded stainless steel elbows and flowed around 400 lbs per minute.

Chris-TU

Oh nice! So it flows better, sweet!

Well, so thermal coating and an EGT bung.

I must say Chris you've got some great deals!

Ondonti
01-15-2008, 04:12 AM
Get the Jet HOT 2000 coating or the equivalent from another coating company.
I think HPC might have a "bling" friendly high temp coating but im not sure if its really up to snuff. Some 3/S vendors use it but I am not convinced.

Considering where your turbo is, bling doesnt really matter though. Flat black or grey aint gonna hurt.

Polygon
01-16-2008, 03:37 AM
Get the Jet HOT 2000 coating or the equivalent from another coating company.
I think HPC might have a "bling" friendly high temp coating but im not sure if its really up to snuff. Some 3/S vendors use it but I am not convinced.

Considering where your turbo is, bling doesnt really matter though. Flat black or grey aint gonna hurt.

Nope, I don't care how it looks.

I'll have to talk to them since I would have to send out the SV anyhow.

badandy
01-24-2008, 12:37 PM

Chris-TU
Wow! that's a rather large difference.

The Pope
03-10-2008, 03:17 AM
the ceramic that looks like powder coat that is 2,300 degree material is different than the shiny near crome looking stuff. The pretty stuff looks the way it does because it has aluminum in it. The pretty stuff is a 1,400-1,600 degree material and can flake off and fly into the turbine. Jet Hot only coats the outside of the exhaust, which I don't like. The exhaust is still hit with the heat and mosture and can rot. The local guy here does them for $100 or less with the 2,000 + degree material inside and out. After running his stuff I noticed no discoloring or flaking or anything wrong with it. The only down side I've found is the TU 3" donuts stick to the stuff and jerk the exhaust around a bit at first.

ke6960
03-12-2008, 09:08 AM
i dont understand why you would want the inside done?? what moisture is in the exhaust manifold????

88_pacifica
03-12-2008, 09:28 AM
i dont understand why you would want the inside done?? what moisture is in the exhaust manifold????

to minimize "heat soak" I would imagine...

Clay
03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
still looks the same now even after 7 years of running it.

You have something thats ran for 7 years?!?!?!?! ;) Sorry dave, I couldnt resist!

Clay
03-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Jet Hot only coats the outside of the exhaust, which I don't like.

I dont know where you have received your info, but as a mulit-time Jet-Hot user, I can tell you they do indeed coat the inside of your header. Its part of their lifetime guarantee if you have a new header coated by them before installation.

turbovanmanČ
03-12-2008, 12:41 PM

You want the inside done as exhaust gases are very corrosive and act like a blow torch over time. If you work on cars all the time, you'll notice alot of pipe rot at the bends and from the inside out.

I just sent Performance Coatings my race bike pistons, oil pan and exhaust system. I'll post up pics of the exhaust done inside and out.