PDA

View Full Version : I- Shaft Question

forcedfedmopar
01-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Im putting my T-III back together after an I-shaft failure and I do have one concern. I put my I-shaft in and with everything buttoned up it has some play from in and out of the block. (if the block were in the car it would be from pass. to driver side). Theres not much but it does concern me just because of what happened last time.

Its not alot of play but noticable. I havent measured it yet because im not sure if there should be any or not.

So if anyone could tell me if this is normal or not it would be greatly appreciated.

-jeff

turbovanmanČ
01-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Normal, :nod:

forcedfedmopar
01-03-2008, 08:02 PM
.017 - i just measured.
And thanks for such a fast reply. ive been dragging my feet on putting this thing together cause i wasnt sure and i couldnt find any specs anywhere.

Lotashelbys
01-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Some of the aftermarket gasket sets come with a gasket for the I-shaft seal retainer. If that was used it will have the thinkness of that gaskets worth of more play. Using aenerobic sealer or RTV you will have less side to side play. I wouldnt want more than like 030 or so.
Just make sure your belt is tensioned correctly. I have a new favorite number,95lbs. Seems like 110 was a little too tight on two motors that I had new bearings in. Set it there and you will thank me later:D

THAT GOES FOR EVERYONE ELSE WITH A TIII AS WELL:amen:

turbovanmanČ
01-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Some of the aftermarket gasket sets come with a gasket for the I-shaft seal retainer. If that was used it will have the thinkness of that gaskets worth of more play. Using aenerobic sealer or RTV you will have less side to side play. I wouldnt want more than like 030 or so.
Just make sure your belt is tensioned correctly. I have a new favorite number,95lbs. Seems like 110 was a little too tight on two motors that I had new bearings in. Set it there and you will thank me later:D

THAT GOES FOR EVERYONE ELSE WITH A TIII AS WELL:amen:

Interesting, thanks, :clap:

forcedfedmopar
01-03-2008, 08:18 PM
:nod:95 it is.

Thanks boss.

LowSL2
01-04-2008, 06:01 AM
I agree. 95 lbs seems to be the "sweet spot" for the belt.