PDA

View Full Version : 95 Lumina 3100 Help

Mike_Shepard
01-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I've got a 95 lumina with the 3100 v6, I am having problems with the car running, It starts up fine and even drives kinda good after it cools down but once you drive it for about 20-30 minutes you better hope your not in a hurry to get anywhere. It sputters so bad that 35MPH is about the fastest I can get it
I've changed the plugs wires and coil packs and this did not help. The plugs didn't look to bad really but I changed them anyhow. I've not been able to check fuel pressure yet but the Fuel pump is noisy as hell.

Does this sound like sound like a O2 sensor problem?

turbovanmanČ
01-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Have you changed the fuel filter? I would guess the fuel pump is on its way out or the injectors are plugged up. You should grab a fuel pressure guage and verify fuel pressure when it starts to act up.

Mike_Shepard
01-03-2008, 08:01 PM
The filter on the car looks newish, The car was my father inlaws and I think he replaced both the fuel pump and filter. Could it be the Catalytic?

turbovanmanČ
01-03-2008, 08:14 PM
The filter on the car looks newish, The car was my father inlaws and I think he replaced both the fuel pump and filter. Could it be the Catalytic?

I would say no, due to the length of time it takes to act up and the fact it runs ok cold.

JDAWG
01-03-2008, 08:21 PM
cat converter

Mike_Shepard
01-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Well my father in law did replace the fuel pump, But my mother in law is not sure on the filter so im thinking I need to get the FP gauge on here and see what thats doing

5sp. mini
01-03-2008, 10:04 PM
hey mike ohm check the inj. i don,t remember but i think 12ohm if 1 drops out i think it takes the whole side. als

Mike_Shepard
01-03-2008, 11:17 PM
hey mike ohm check the inj. i don,t remember but i think 12ohm if 1 drops out i think it takes the whole side. als

Hmmm I'll do that tomorrow thanks :D:D

turbovanmanČ
01-03-2008, 11:41 PM

You are correct but 12 ohms doesn't ring a bell and the result of an injector dropping out is it stalls and won't restart until it cools down. The first few times, its hard to figure it out until you have a mental note.

DaveSkrab
01-06-2008, 04:32 AM
I tend to think Fuel pump / Fuel filter also. However I've run into Damaged , melted converters that only show driveability problems after getting hot. Having test equipment is so nice sometimes. I'd definately check and road test with fuel pressure gauge.
As the car is a '95 I would be very careful when changing the threaded side of the fuel filter as it's probably very rusty at this point. make sure to use some penetrating oil on it beforehand, and use a line wrench on the fitting.
Although a long shot, and typically an intermittent problem... I've seen Cam pos. sensors cause some problems on these.

Dave Skrab
'88 CSXT #807
'95 NYG Neon 242,179mi - Damned water pump
'06 Ninja 500R