PDA

View Full Version : 78 challenger need info before I buy.

W.P._Turbocars
01-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Found a mint 1 owner 78 Challenger today. Has been stored in an old lady's garage for the past 20 years. They got it started and it sounds great. Had been repainted years ago and had factory decals pout back on.

What I would like to know about is engine compatibility. I have heard that a 4g63 will bolt up... Maybe? Also I didn't know till I opened the hood that these cars were RWD! So, the possibility of running a V8 mopar in it? Has anyone ever put a V8 in one before? Would like to set the car up for the drift races we have here every year in the summer.

Also, what do these cars go for? I figure probably not much, but is 1600 too much for a mint 44K mile 1 owner?

fleckster
01-03-2008, 10:33 PM
:needpics1:

I've always wanted to find a nice '78-'83 Challenger or Sapporo to do a 2.2/2.5L or 2.0/2.4L swap with. I'm sure you could do the 4G63T into one a bit easier but you still have to change everything to fuel injection and I know more about trying to do a '87 Logic Module/Power Module set up. I would assume it is an automatic car since you stated it was owned by an older lady. If so, that is a made in Kokomo, IN by Chrysler A-904 3 speed torqueflite transmission they produced for Mitsu with their bolt pattern Case. Yes, this is what would make a RWD swap pretty easy as well and why almost every one of these you see anymore already turned into drag cars. Without pictures its a bit hard to say if the car is worth that price but it always comes down to how much are YOU willing to give for it. I would offer a bit lower in cash. You can always come up but never go back down on an offer.

R/T
01-03-2008, 10:47 PM
What he said.... :p

They are getting really rare....

W.P._Turbocars
01-04-2008, 12:02 AM
I'll try to get pics tomorrow after work.

BadAssPerformance
01-04-2008, 12:17 AM
interesting find...

Anonymous_User
01-04-2008, 09:52 AM
I don't think I've ever seen or heard of one until now, so I googled 1978 Challenger and frankly, well, they sure aren't a pretty car, now, are they?

88_pacifica
01-04-2008, 10:02 AM
They are definitely an "acquired taste"... Blech

http://i2.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/fc/be/52_1.JPG

raccoon
01-04-2008, 10:03 AM
I wonder if Chrysler regrets using the Challenger name on a rebadged mitsu now.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Mitsubishi_Sapporo.JPG/800px-Mitsubishi_Sapporo.JPG

is this it?

the rear window is kind of cool

JDAWG
01-04-2008, 10:35 AM
that would be a fun sleeper

88_pacifica
01-04-2008, 10:59 AM
...the rear window is kind of cool

Till you have to replace it. Curved AND older car= $$$

supercrackerbox
01-05-2008, 01:54 AM

They probably just assume that the world has forgotten about it. Heck, I wouldn't be suprised if half the company's employees don't even know it ever existed.

W.P._Turbocars
01-05-2008, 02:47 AM
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m282/wp_turbocars/DVC00522.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m282/wp_turbocars/DVC00525.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m282/wp_turbocars/DVC00524.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m282/wp_turbocars/DVC00523.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m282/wp_turbocars/DVC00526.jpg

supercrackerbox
01-05-2008, 03:14 AM
A PLAID interior, are you serious?!! I'd almost buy it just for that!

Seriously, I'm kinda weird like that.

JDAWG
01-05-2008, 03:17 AM
omg dude, that is an ugly fawken car.

fleckster
01-05-2008, 03:33 AM
I like it! It would be perfect for the turbo Mopar engine swap I'd love to do! I wouldn't change a thing body or interior wise other than wheels and tires unless it was required for the swap. Just some minor black bumper and grill touch-up and it would be all set. Imagine the mind blowing you could do with a 300+ hp 2.4L or similar under the hood with RWD.

supercrackerbox
01-05-2008, 03:39 AM
omg dude, that is an ugly fawken car.

I KNOW, it's great, isn't it?!! :eyebrows:

raccoon
01-05-2008, 03:57 AM
those seats are to die for! lol do the rear windows roll down?

2.216VTurbo
01-05-2008, 04:42 AM
RWD swap Fleck? It's already RWD right? Maybe I misunderstood your context... The 2.4 they had was the little brother to the 2.6 in the Starion/Conquest. So I am just speculating with no actual knowledge here but I would think the 2.6 would be a direct bolt up?? Plenty of haters for the g54bt out there but I put 130K worth of hard miles on my Starion with very little work to it:D

moparman76_69
01-05-2008, 08:21 AM

Probably about as much as they regret using the charger name on a 80s FWD car.

BadAssPerformance
01-05-2008, 09:54 AM
RWD swap Fleck? It's already RWD right? Maybe I misunderstood your context... The 2.4 they had was the little brother to the 2.6 in the Starion/Conquest. So I am just speculating with no actual knowledge here but I would think the 2.6 would be a direct bolt up?? Plenty of haters for the g54bt out there but I put 130K worth of hard miles on my Starion with very little work to it:D

I think Fleck just meant do a mopar 2.2L/2.5L/2.4L swap into it :thumb:

fleckster
01-05-2008, 10:01 AM

Alan, yes, it's already RWD. I said RWD swap by mistake. I was really thinking of the 2.4L swap. But I definitely was NOT thinking of swapping in the 2.4L Mitsu engine! I was thinking more along the lines of an SRT-4 engine swap or more likely for me, a 2.2/2.5L swap. Basically the drivetrain of Larry Buford's Sundance minus the 9" Ford rear axle. (2.5L Chrysler shortblock with the 2.4L head making it a hybrid, the Supra transmission, and then out the back.) I think they may have still been using the Mitsu twin-geared rear axle in the Challenger like they did in the other '70s Colts making them technically 8 speed vehicles. I doubt what ever rear axle that is in there will take that much power though so I'd probably have to eventually find a Mopar 8 3/4" rear to put in it after the original would break.

BadAssPerformance
01-05-2008, 10:09 AM
True about the weak axles... the GLX RX7 we have with a LS1 in it snapped the rear end the first good hit on the throttle! It now has a diff out of a turbo RX7 in it so it should be good for a while :thumb:

The Challenger would be a neat project tho, maybe paint it bright '08 Challenger show car orange? with some 18" wheels that look like the '08 Challenger's wheels? Would turn some heads in 2008 at least ;)

W.P._Turbocars
01-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Guy on the other site said that it has the same rear axle as a starion or you can run an 8-something ford rear and it's only 1/2 inch different track width. Whatever came out in the old mavericks? And it has a 2.6 in it already if I read the engine tag right.

The front seats are perfect too under their sheepskin seat covers. lol

fleckster
01-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Does it have an independent rear axle set up like the Starion/Conquest or is the carrier just the same? I would bet it might just be the carrier and it is not independent and is probably a four link rear suspension set up. The 8" Ford isn't that strong as it was used in the six cylinder and low output V8 cars but probably strong enough to handle the four cylinder turbo output. I'm just a diehard Mopar guy so I'd have to go with the Mopar rear axle to complete it.

88_pacifica
01-06-2008, 10:03 AM
... I'm just a diehard Mopar guy ....

Naahhh... not Fleck! :confused::lol::D ;) :eyebrows::thumb:

ShadowFromHell
01-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Beautiful car! Right up your alley! Grow the mullet back and rock it!

daytonaturbo87
01-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Cool to see an example of one of these cars still in good shape. A turbo 2.4 would be an awesome swap for it. If it's anything like the arrow of the late 70's the core support would need to be cut extensively to fit even a small block V8, but I have seen it done.:thumb:

Turbulence
01-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Since no one has mentioned it yet, the Challenger was the secret turbine car under development in the movie version of Harold Robbins The Betsy

http://www.horroria.com/i/nposters/01/30/13065-UA.jpg

http://www.impawards.com/1978/betsy_xlg.html

It is surprising how many big name actors were in that movie.

Martin
89 Horizon
90 Sundance

LiteWerk
02-28-2008, 02:50 AM
I had a very similar 79 Plymouth Sapporro from '83-'85. Had the 2.6L MItsu 4cyl., 5-speed, and 4 wheel disc brakes. Was a very fun and completely trouble free car. Only reason I sold, to my brother, was I had too many cars.

I'd gladly give 1600 for a mint, one-owner Challenger with 49K miles. Love that interior. Those were very comfortable, great handling cars when compared to cars of the time. Can't be sure how it compares to newer, late-model cars. I'd keep it 100%, completely stock, original as a survivor, as they are rare. Especially in that good of condition.

spoolinhard
03-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Its just...........too ugly.

TopDollar69
03-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Very nice condition on that one. Wasn't the mitsu version called the Sapparo, where the plymouth version was called an arrow?

supercrackerbox
03-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Sapparo was the Plymouth version of this Challenger, and the Arrow was the Plymouth version of the D-50 minitruck.

neongary
04-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Sapparo was the Plymouth version of this Challenger, and the Arrow was the Plymouth version of the D-50 minitruck.
The Arrow was a car. The Fire Arrow was the "performance" version with a 2.6L.

neongary
04-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Pic of an Arrow.

neongary
04-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Found a mint 1 owner 78 Challenger today. Has been stored in an old lady's garage for the past 20 years. They got it started and it sounds great. Had been repainted years ago and had factory decals pout back on.

What I would like to know about is engine compatibility. I have heard that a 4g63 will bolt up... Maybe? Also I didn't know till I opened the hood that these cars were RWD! So, the possibility of running a V8 mopar in it? Has anyone ever put a V8 in one before? Would like to set the car up for the drift races we have here every year in the summer.

Also, what do these cars go for? I figure probably not much, but is 1600 too much for a mint 44K mile 1 owner?

Cool find. If it were me, I keep 'er all original, especially with the low miles.

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
04-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Nice, Cool Little Old Car, Keep It Origanal,and Put A 5.7 Hemi ,in It Ok!
Not A Hemi,lol

jb07
04-15-2008, 11:29 PM
i love the interior

tsiconquest88
08-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I seen a post up above they are getting rare, lol getting isnt even close, They are exstinct there isnt eve na forum board of modded ones lol. I am a member of challengertalk and havent even found one person there with one, OK ONE lol and offered to sell and i havent gotten a response back to my response to him lol. So yea lets say no one there has one that goes on that site the past year lol.

WP turbocars, as for ur questions on the different engines and i have good info for the 4g63 swap too... Honestly 1600 isnt a bad price concidering u probably wont find another one lol. A sapparo is a dime a dozen (still hard to come by) compared to the challenger name lol and my personal idea when i find one is to use a g54b (engine in the challenger) but from a starion/conquest i have had many of the cars and right now have a spare block waiting for the challenger, you wouldnt want to use the chall g54b block for turboing even though its the same engine block design as the starquest BUT lacks the better pistons, forged steel rods, nitrided crank, oil squirters, higher flow oil pump, etc. One of these motors could do wonders for the challenger that it didnt do for the starquest since its much lighter than the SQ body. I have seen stock engines with stock turbos from the SQ tossed in a old corrolla etc bring them into the 13's and seen Way better times with more upgrades the SQ has and cuts 3 and more seconds off in comparison. there isnt too much u can do to a SQ for a significant reduction in weight unless u got carbon fiber parts like fenders, hood doors lol etc. the rear hatch weighs a good amount too. the body in general is a 3k pound hunk of indestructable beauty though lol I love the cars. As for the 4g63 your better off using a mighty max 89-92 i beleive of the wideblock 4g63 single overhead cam and u can then boltup a dsm turbo head to that block and for the challenger not sure on the motor mount setup but most likely the same as the starion conquest (which for the swap u need 2 driver side mounts instead of the driver and pass, I forget exact which 2 off the side u need though, i think its the mentioned but it may be 2 pass side mounts and off the SQ. However if the chall and SQ mounts are different u may be able to use the chall ones so who knows. BUT the tranny from the chall will bolt right up to the wideblock i mentioned since its a direct tranny boltup to the SQ, its a swap people do a lot but the downfault and reason many people do the more custom dsm 4g63 dsm (meaninmg talon,eclipse etc type) block is cus its got oil squirters and a different stroke and piston size, the above mentioned swap has a larger bore but a lower hp with a larger TQ number. People think the oil squirters are important for over 400 hp or so which is another reason why they go with the dsm 4g63. The above swap however is called a 4g63/4g64 kind of a hybrid since its as i said a wideblock 4g63 with the dsm dohc head ditcing the sohc head that was on the wideblock (dsm is a narrowblock 4g63 but has the dohc head) any other questions i could prob help man so feel free to ask away.

skitzo_inc
08-15-2008, 06:46 PM
I woudn't say extinct, I know personally where THREE of them are right now. My dad has my old 81 Sapparo, 70K original miles, mint interior and no rust or dings on the exterior. Someone blew up the motor in it, well, the headgasket and those tricky 2.6 had a hell of a time with the head on it. Warped it something fierce. Right now my dad is doing a fuel injected 360 swap into it. RWD with an upgraded axle...holy cow. Five speed hooks up perfect too from what he's told me. There is a Challenger less than fifty miles from where I sit, rusted pretty bad but it runs. Another one is sitting three blocks from there. Neat little cars, I wish I still had my saparro. Even with the 2.6 it would get up and go. Not fast by any means, but not slow either.

Just my two cents, get it. They are neat and hard to find.

tsiconquest88
08-15-2008, 07:17 PM
i wasnt saying extinct literally man but extinct compared to may cars and even compared to the sapparo i have seen many more sap's than challengers, also beleive me the challalengers u seen are few and far between and like i said do a search for forums boardsa about them and u wont find nuthing. Yes the heads suck for the most part, i think they used even a different head than the caravan 2.6 and the starquests. caravan used a non-jet valve head as well as the chall, however the 2.6 heads werent too bad, stars on the other hand were pretty bad with cracking even when running perfectly cool due to the jet valves cus they superheated the area of the seat where they screwed into the head cast. So the caravan non jet heads are a good upgrade. Of course there are companies making the starquest heads new without je tvalves and prove pretty well. So if ur looking for a good head get a marnal non jet head i can get u them new for 350-400 shipped. no cam or nuthing, just the head, 3 angle valve job, caps with bolts. U will be re-using ur stock cam and rails, lifters etc. Although i know of perf regrind cams and heavier duty springs and everything, even can do the mechanical rocker setup off the caravans and squeeze more power.

Devsdaytona
08-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Its just...........too ugly.

like an english bull dog, so ugly but soo cute