PDA

View Full Version : RT draws first blood...LONG!

BoostMonkey
02-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Well I got my 91 Spirit RT with 100K on thursday and have been cruising the fastfood parking lots looking for someone to race. Saturday night I roll up on this black saturn with 19" chrome wheels and this guy kind of looks like me like "WTH do you want?". I just start BS'ing with him then finally ask him if he would like to run his car. He said "No, I don't race this car, but I got an integra at home that I'll run you in. It's all motor but gots lots done to it." I just tell him I'll see him down here again some night then proceeded to roast the tires across the parking lot (there was a crowd and I felt I needed to get some attention drawn to the car as nobody even thinks I'm there to look for a race.)

So last night me and two buddies were hanging out in the mall parking lot talking with these girls, and that same dude rolls up in his Saturn. So I drive on over there to talk with him to see if anything is happening tonight. He then tells me to follow him over to this other group of cars. I proceed to ask if anybody there wants to race and they all start laughing and saying that this white integra "GSR" will smoke me. Ivan (the guy in the Saturn) is telling him to race me and at the same time telling me to shut his mouth up. I'm tired of sitting there ready to go and these kids just standing around talking bout it. So I says: "Well, I'm heading back over to my buddies over there, come talk to me when you grow some balls and want to race." He immediately says he'll do it to save face and we decide on a spot. So we roll on out there with him and me in front of the "pack" by about 60 yards. We get on the bridge to cross the river (a good 1/4 mile long bridge if I had to guess) and we just take off from a light at the beginning of the bridge. I leisurely shift through the gears and hit 4th probably doing about 35 mph. He's about two cars ahead of me and proceeds to step on it. I try to get 2nd but miss the shift, finally get it. BOOST! (WHEELSPIN!!), shortshift to third and I'm reeling him in like a fish. I pass him and top out 4th gear then tap my brakes and slow back down (he was about 6 carlengths back). Now for the real race....:nod:

We get out to the spot and he says he don't want to run them no more. Cause we "Already raced on the bridge". I told him F-that and it wasn't even a race. So he got Ivan to drive his car. This particular spot is less than an 1/8th mile long but a good road nonetheless. I want to drive the road so I take off down it looking for any hazards. He follows me and we decide to race back towards everyone else. It's about 10* F. outside and I knew traction was going to suck. We line 'em up and I start getting that rush! Hold the rpm's about 2700 and "Oh ---- he's already at two!, THREE!". I get a good launch with minimal wheelspin yet he still takes me out of the hole and get 1 1/2 lengths on me from the start. I hit boost in first and WHEELSPIN! I shift to second and WHEELSPIN! I saw my tack jump to 6k then I catch traction and it drops down to 4800 rpm's! By the time I stop spinning in 2nd I'm pulling on him at about the length of a car length every 2 seconds. Towards the end I was pulling on him like crazy. I only topped out third gear but at the end I had a good 2 1/2 cars on him.:thumb:

We head back to Taco Bell and I quickly "Soap" my serp. belt as it's squeaking quite loudly now! :amen: Everybody couldn't believe my car was bone stock and they all stood around it like they knew what they were looking at. Needless to say I think some people are going to start looking at the Spirit differently!

Michael
Future mods to come: 3" exhaust and boost raised to 13-14 psi! Plus a new serp. belt!

Kulgii
02-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Awesome kill, i like puttin those ricers in there place... :D

85glht
02-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Ecellent Kill!!! I love it when the big guy goes down:thumb:

BoostMonkey
02-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks guys, I was actually REALLY surprised that I didn't pull him harder than I did. The Acura car isn't "VERY" ricy. It's VERY clean, white, black leather interior, 5 speed, and nice black rims, he does however has those clear taillights that everyone "loves"! No body kit, no wing, overall a pretty dang good looking car. He was pretty damn ----y though!

Michael

bansheenut420
02-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Good kill man, good kill!:thumb: Better watch out, a fast four door family car is going to get a rep pretty quick LOL! Soon none of the ricers will want to race your car!:D :evil:

BoostMonkey
02-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I think the rep is well on it's way. Though there are a few ----Y wrx owners out there that think they are the ----. There's also an STi and an EVO that are running around town. As well as a couple mustang GT's and Cobra's that are gonna be a tough go. I'll do my damndest though!

Michael

turbovanmanČ
02-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Nice kill, :amen:

I think your first item should be some sticky tires, that right now is your biggest handicap.

Directconnection
02-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Michael
Future mods to come: 3" exhaust and boost raised to 13-14 psi! Plus a new serp. belt!

Make sure you do fuel mods. Most people that do those simple mods to a T-III need to add fuel as the T-III injectors are maxxed out above a certain rpm and stock boost level. +20's are what I have heard people use.

bansheenut420
02-21-2006, 02:15 AM
Make sure you do fuel mods. Most people that do those simple mods to a T-III need to add fuel as the T-III injectors are maxxed out above a certain rpm and stock boost level. +20's are what I have heard people use.
+1 I would go with the +20's and a AFPR. You will be set. The WRX may get you off the line, but you will smoke him on top! The evo and the sti may be a bit of a challange. I could hang side by side with a sti from a roll, but if they know how to launch, its over! My buddy had a 2000 Mustang GT w/ a programer, 4-10's, full exahust and drag radials. From a dig he would school me, but up top I catch and pass him without a problem! And that was when my car didn't even have exhaust! So unless altitude is really killing the GT up here, you will have no problem with em':evil: As far as the cobra goes, if its a 2003 or newer, that one might be tough...
Good luck to ya and enjoy the car :thumb:

turbocoupe
02-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Hey good kill and Turbovanman is right sticky tires man if you had those you would of killed him from the start and kept beating the sh*t out of him. +1 try not to cause to much attention cause now every one will know who you are and that a big KNOW KNOW. LOL Good kill keep up the good work

turbocoupe
02-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I think the rep is well on it's way. Though there are a few ----Y wrx owners out there that think they are the ----. There's also an STi and an EVO that are running around town. As well as a couple mustang GT's and Cobra's that are gonna be a tough go. I'll do my damndest though!

Michael

Be careful with those evo's their are sick fast i seen a stock one kill a mod sti twice off the line so make sure you do some research. To your car and the ones you race

fleckster
02-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Be careful with those evo's their are sick fast i seen a stock one kill a mod sti twice off the line so make sure you do some research. To your car and the ones you race

You just have to find the ones that have the bad clutch in them! ;) With their notoriously weak stock clutch, they can't launch hard and you can run with them on top end with that extra weight they carry. There's one ('04 Evo) for sale on a dealership's used lot here in town and I have already had a couple friends tell me they have test driven it and the clutch is slipping in relatively normal driving. The Mitsu AWD system is among the best but in stock form the clutch takes the real abuse. They have even changed the engine computer software to prevent high rpm clutch drops to really launch the think. It has a built in 4000rpm (or something like that) rev limiter when starting from a complete stop to try and help save the warrantee hits on clutches.

Kulgii
02-21-2006, 12:12 PM
When my dad had his WRX I launched it about 5k and with crappy worn out tires I could pull 1.9 0-60ft ... but it was a turd... :D

fleckster
02-21-2006, 12:43 PM
I can launch my completely stock '03 SRT-4 (only 215hp and no Quaife) and cut 2.1sec 60ft without touching the air pressure in the tires. No wonder WRXs don't give me much problem. If that's all the advantage they can get, then I have no problem reeling them back in!

Kulgii
02-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Well I also heard 1.7's on a good sticky tire for WRX's but most WRX driver can't launch at all and bog it real bad off the line... It really depends on the driver

turbovanmanČ
02-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Well I also heard 1.7's on a good sticky tire for WRX's but most WRX driver can't launch at all and bog it real bad off the line... It really depends on the driver

Yep, at the tracks last year, nearly every WRX I saw bogged off the line, it was quite funny. :lol:

Opticon
02-21-2006, 02:33 PM
That's one sad integra. Good kill.

Directconnection
02-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Yep, at the tracks last year, nearly every WRX I saw bogged off the line, it was quite funny. :lol:

You'll find that happens alot for drivers that make their fist trip to the track. I know I did. I practiced on the steet to find a good rpm to dump the clutch at on street tires (3,500-ish) and found out the hard way that anything under 4,200 would result in bog.

My oldschool rwd friend was known at our local track to be very knowledgeable about Mopars and setting them up to run right. He also restores old cars for a living and has a '66 Belvedere that runs 7.3/11.7 on a stock 440 minor mods..but that's another story.... so this guy with an old Polara that installed a 440 and (I think a 6pak as well) asked him what his car would run today since it was it's maiden voyage to the track. He told my friend what gears he had, what cam and what it was degreed at, what jetting, etc also was a 4-speed car. My friend wouldn't tell him because they guy wouldn't want to hear it, and pretty much told the guy that. But, the guy insisted and my friend (this sounds like one of those my friend this, my brother's sister's cousin's hairdresser stories) told him: "you really want to know? It's going to fall flat on it face at the line" The guy proceeded to tell him your nuts... after he was told it had the wrong cam with those gears and doesn't make enough torque to launch properly. He's like" the car roasts the tires all day on the street... tons of torque(ok...not verbatim). But my friend was right... the car hooked due to a sticky track and stalled right at the line.

BoostMonkey
02-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys. As for the mods, are you sure that the stock injectors won't handle 14 lbs? Maybe I'll just use my MBC and set it to stock levels as I've heard it helps with spool up as well as my exhaust. I know in 1st gear that my boost doesn't fully hit until 4K rpms, and that needs to change. Stickier tires are a must, however I'm still on the stock clutch at 100K (yes this car has been babied) and though it feels like it has lots of life left, I don't fully trust it. I'm deffinately looking forward to this summer!

Michael

bansheenut420
02-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Thanks guys. As for the mods, are you sure that the stock injectors won't handle 14 lbs? Maybe I'll just use my MBC and set it to stock levels as I've heard it helps with spool up as well as my exhaust. I know in 1st gear that my boost doesn't fully hit until 4K rpms, and that needs to change. Stickier tires are a must, however I'm still on the stock clutch at 100K (yes this car has been babied) and though it feels like it has lots of life left, I don't fully trust it. I'm deffinately looking forward to this summer!

Michael
I am running slightly higher than stock boost levels (with s70 turbo) and I have the stock injectors. I can't get it to hit 14 due to overboost, but I haven't had a problem with my car running lean. I do have a AFPR that is set at stock fuel pressure. You can probably get away with it but it puts the injectors above 80% duty cycle and that will eventually burn out the injectors. The MBC will help your spool up for sure. Hope that helps...

BoostMonkey
02-22-2006, 02:51 AM
I'll probably just set it to stock levels and get my exhaust done. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with the cars out there! And if I can't, well then it's only a 4 door sedan!

Michael

cordes
02-22-2006, 03:11 AM
I'll probably just set it to stock levels and get my exhaust done. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with the cars out there! And if I can't, well then it's only a 4 door sedan!

Michael

Prdence is the key. Better to lose a race or two, than to track down parts for an R/T.

Ondonti
02-22-2006, 05:05 AM
Coreys car is at high elevation, so he doesnt use as much fuel as a sea level car would on the same boost level. I would say all his mods make the car run maybe a bit faster then a stocker at sea level. Elevation sucks. :mad:

Dave
02-23-2006, 10:36 AM
R/T's are a bear to launch, aren't they? My dad had a 91 Spirit R/T with 2.5" mandrel exhaust, K&N filter with no air box, and stock boost could only pull off a 14.7 around 97mph... Ill get the slip later and show yeh when I get home.

I'd be careful with drag radials, doing dry burnouts will kill trannies and launching with them might kill your axles if you don't have solid engine mounts. Just a suggestion...

-Bryan

bansheenut420
02-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Elevation sucks. :mad:
Yes, yes it does :nod: At least it sucks worse for all my friends n/a cars! LOL

Directconnection
02-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Coreys car is at high elevation, so he doesnt use as much fuel as a sea level car would on the same boost level. I would say all his mods make the car run maybe a bit faster then a stocker at sea level. Elevation sucks. :mad:

Agreed...he needs to talk with either Pat Culkin or his brother, Dan. I believe that with the addition of a 3" exhaust and 14psi put their cars on the ragged edge of fuel with the stock injectors. I believe the stock injectors hit full duty cycle from the factory... meaning 100% on stock boost above a certain rpm which I forget. This is why they suggest going with the +20's and an AFPR. For the money spent, it will be worth it. Besides...it'll let you run a bit more boost... (=more hp) all for about $300.

If Pat sees this, he'll chime in as he's the helping kind that we promote here at Turbo-Mopar.com.

BoostMonkey
02-27-2006, 01:47 AM
Right on, thanks guys. It'll be awhile before I do anything, but I'll let you guys know when it happens.

Michael

turbocoupe
02-27-2006, 02:15 AM

Michael

If you want to run 14+ Safely bigger injectors are a must and also you may want to get a 225 fuel pump and you also again want to have your computer calibrated to run 14psi. cause stock computer go up to 11psi and if you go pass that you start to have boost cut off. Cause i been threw that i was running 14psi for about a week and noticed that after 11psi it would buck in a sort of way and i was like WTF is that. then i read some treads and articles stating that its boost cut off so IM back to 11psi which is still plenty for me but i will go back up to about 18-20psi cause i have the setup now.
:) so just make sure you do your research first. Just lets use know if you have any questions.

rosie
04-12-2009, 07:04 PM

Maybe once or twice regardless of the driver with the stock WRX 5speed, then it's getting towed home. No way with an auto.

Vigo
04-12-2009, 07:34 PM
one time i responded to a response to a 3 year old thread... :p