PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Power Module clicking issue

86Shelby
01-03-2008, 12:36 PM
The car is an '86 Shelby Charger, all stock from what I can tell. Car hasn't run in several years. A few months ago some gas was poured down the throttle body, and it ran for a few seconds. Fuel pump & hanger assembly was replaced, fuel tank cleaned and a few gallons of fuel were put in the tank over the last couple months.

Kaleb on the board and I tried to get it running this weekend. I straightened out the vacuum lines so it doesn't have huge vacuum leaks. Cranked over fine. Put some fuel down the throttle body and it fired and died. Tried cranking again, fuel pump wasn't priming. No voltage at the pump, check the circuit's connector near the fuse box, nothing there either. Thinking it may be an issue with the ASD, we ran a jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the positive coil terminal; no dice.

So, we tried hooking up my scantool to check for codes since the PL light is missing. While making a jumper to get 12V to the scanner's cig lighter plug the PM started making noise. When we would complete the circuit to power up the scanner the PM would click; disconnect the scanner and it would click again. Wierd.:confused:

After giving up on trying to get codes since our jumpers didn't work we tried the gas down the throttle body bit again. Now there's no spark, only .2V at the pos. coil terminal. That's where we gave up on it for the night. We were getting cold and I was mentally drained from being sick. Any ideas? I'd love to be able to work on it in my spare time when I can think 100%, but I live 1 1/2 hours away from the car. I'd like to get a few different thoughts on what to check so I can bring the right stuff to swap, check when I can get out there again.

Turbodave
01-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Ray, take a look at the LM connectors, they always have given me trouble on the L-bodys.

crazymadbastard
01-03-2008, 11:12 PM
I am having a similar issue with an 86 charger. I jump the external pump at the pump and then I get the car to start. I get a clicking at the power module when I jump it. I am going to go over all teh connections and clean and tighten them. I suspect it's the power module. The prior owner had like 3 extra logic modules. I will let you know what works. I feel like just throwing a toggle on there. heh. I downloaded some pinouts and a few how to's for diagnosing if you want them.

Oh and I am pretty sure the asd is internal to the power module on these, so if that goes time for a rebuilt or used unit.

I would reset the computer to see if you get spark.

spoolinhard
01-07-2008, 01:03 PM
thanks