PDA

View Full Version : Flaky FPR? How to tell?

RoadWarrior222
01-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone can give me general advice on troubleshooting an FPR, it's on the 3.0 '88 voyager, but imagine it's pretty similar to other mopar apps.

Don't have a fuel pressure gauge unfortunately.

Symptoms, van seems to be both running too rich at times and also knocking at others (possible carbon knock and going lean, improved with midgrade instead of 87 octane) get a gassy smell, have occasional bizarre vacuum system behaviour but can't find a leak. Getting some wierder than normal noises at startup, like there's a little bit of gas got in somewhere, but oil doesn't seem drastically thinned to the feel, and noises stop after a few seconds. Gas mileage is down 2-3mpg. Injector cleaner doesn't seem to have helped.

So been getting the idea that the FPR might be goosed or slightly leaky. All these symptoms have been somewhat vague, erratic and hard to put a finger on, but seem to be slowly mounting up.

Any thoughts?

RW222

cordes
01-02-2008, 09:55 PM
I would pull the codes to see if the O2 sensor is throwing one. When was the last time that the O2 was replaced?

turbovanmanČ
01-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Need a fuel pressure guage or your just guessing. I have an FAQ on how to test the system, ;)

RoadWarrior222
01-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Yeah cordes I was suspecting the O2 sensor at first, not getting any codes that hang around, seems I always get a "good run" whenever I have time to look at it, and I don't get anything, then it'll be acting a bit wierd in the morning when I've got to get somewhere, then be fine on the way home.

mmmkay, Simon says use the gauge, I guess I'll have to beg borrow or steal one from somewhere.

cordes
01-02-2008, 10:45 PM
I got a FP gauge from Autozone a while back for a decent price. It has more than paid for itself.

mock_glh
01-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Check to see if fuel comes out of the vacuum nipple. It shouldn't.