PDA

View Full Version : CSX-T in SoCal J/Y

zin
01-02-2008, 05:41 AM
Not that there is much left, there is one at the Pick Your Part on Katella ave in Stanton. All the easily taken Shelby stuff is gone, but the grill is there and in OK shape. It had a TII rad/intercooler assembly (complete with Shelby label on the intercooler). Even odder is that the engine in it appeared to be a Re-built roller cam TBI engine! It's one weird car, it also had the light in the visor, a factory CD player (radio/cassette), and a dealer added (factory?) alarm that had a valet setting. I got the rad/intercooler and the steering wheel, less the horn button :(. The two rear wheels were gone, as well as any Shelby items that could be pried off or taken with a screw driver (including the # plaque of course). I do have the Vin for the car if anyone can say which one it was (VIN 1b3bs44e9jn212501).

Mike

TurboBuggy
01-02-2008, 06:11 AM
If you end up grabbing the grill sometime I really need one ;)

rich tideswell
01-02-2008, 09:16 AM
got pics?

zin
01-02-2008, 09:15 PM
got pics?

I'll try to post some up once I'm home. They're from a phone, so the quality isn't super.

Mike

zin
01-02-2008, 09:17 PM
If you end up grabbing the grill sometime I really need one ;)

The grill wasn't perfect, it had a crack (small) and the center mounting tab was getting ready to break off... I'm not sure what they would change for the thing, if you don't get it on a 1/2 price day is seems they charge alot. PM me with your info and I'll see what they'll do.

Mike

cordes
01-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Get the grill regardless and stick it in your basement for 10 years. I am sure you will make a profit eventually.

rich tideswell
01-02-2008, 10:15 PM
The grill wasn't perfect, it had a crack (small) and the center mounting tab was getting ready to break off... I'm not sure what they would change for the thing, if you don't get it on a 1/2 price day is seems they charge alot. PM me with your info and I'll see what they'll do.

Mike

some epoxys and resins will fix that. it's better to have than not to have.

BadAssPerformance
01-03-2008, 12:49 AM
I'll get in line for the grill if it is fixable...

zin
01-03-2008, 03:11 AM
Here's some pictures...

raccoon
01-03-2008, 03:29 AM
poor thing, what kind of monster lets numbered cars into junkyards.

looks to have rear disks :)

BadAssPerformance
01-03-2008, 03:32 AM
Wow, not too bad of pics for a camera phone!

I'll definitely get in line for the grill. Does it have all 4 wheels? ok shape? Looks like the side and rear GFX are still there too.

Turbodave
01-03-2008, 09:44 AM
I would be interested in the two wheels, always nice to have spares.

85shelbycharger
01-03-2008, 09:46 AM
How much for the CD player? :eyebrows:
Also how are the window fuzzies?

rare_ram
01-03-2008, 10:24 AM
How much for the CD player? :eyebrows:

Looks like a cassette to me.

mcsvt
01-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Has the optional slave CD player below :) Which are getting harder to find...

rich tideswell
01-03-2008, 12:00 PM
why was this car junked?? looks pretty fixable to me

tryingbe
01-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Because these cars worth less than the cost of fixing it.

OnLooker
01-03-2008, 03:54 PM
are the shifter cables any good?

rare_ram
01-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Has the optional slave CD player below :) Which are getting harder to find...

Missed that, make sure to get the cables too.:D

zin
01-03-2008, 06:41 PM
I'll try to make another pass at it this weekend (if I don't get rained out). The wheels were in pretty good shape, they still had most of the blue stripe on the rim. I didn't look at the window scrapers, etc, but I'll try to look at them when I go back out.

If anyone wants parts off this car, LMK what you'd pay (not including shipping) and I'll see what I can get those parts for. You just have to remember, this is a SoCal Pick a Part, they think it's all freaking gold and they like to charge for every little thing attached to something. I bought some seats, they changed for the head rests and seat belt clasps separately! If it wasn't 1/2 price day, I might have told them to stick it! Anyway, just FYI everyone.

Mike

cordes
01-03-2008, 06:49 PM
I'll try to make another pass at it this weekend (if I don't get rained out). The wheels were in pretty good shape, they still had most of the blue stripe on the rim. I didn't look at the window scrapers, etc, but I'll try to look at them when I go back out.

Mike

You need to get out there ASAP and strip that thing clean. I can't believe you did not grab the wheels the first time.

Xtrempickup
01-03-2008, 07:54 PM
that slave cd player and the cable are worth good money

zin
01-03-2008, 09:08 PM
You need to get out there ASAP and strip that thing clean. I can't believe you did not grab the wheels the first time.

We were there primaraly to get an engine for my Brother's GLHS. So, it was secondary to that, other wise...

bradp
01-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Not that there is much left, there is one at the Pick Your Part on Katella ave in Stanton. All the easily taken Shelby stuff is gone, but the grill is there and in OK shape. It had a TII rad/intercooler assembly (complete with Shelby label on the intercooler). Even odder is that the engine in it appeared to be a Re-built roller cam TBI engine! It's one weird car, it also had the light in the visor, a factory CD player (radio/cassette), and a dealer added (factory?) alarm that had a valet setting. I got the rad/intercooler and the steering wheel, less the horn button :(. The two rear wheels were gone, as well as any Shelby items that could be pried off or taken with a screw driver (including the # plaque of course). I do have the Vin for the car if anyone can say which one it was (VIN 1b3bs44e9jn212501).

Mike

It's car # 281 originally sent to Thrifty of Long Beach.

rich tideswell
01-03-2008, 10:38 PM
anyone let the shelby registry know about this find?

TurboBuggy
01-03-2008, 10:55 PM

Mike

sent you a pm :)

CoolV300C
01-03-2008, 11:56 PM

Amen. It is money in the bank sitting there.

Anonymous_User
01-04-2008, 03:10 AM
If available, I'd be interested in:

Radio and CD player
Rims
Boost gauge
Window scrapers (someone already mentioned them, right?)

How many miles are showing on it?

rich tideswell
01-04-2008, 12:14 PM
found a steering wheel on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-Shelby-CSX-SteeringWheel-Lancer-Omni-Daytona-Dodge_W0QQitemZ270199785066QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3370 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

moparfwdsleeper
01-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I need a engine harness. PMing you my cell number.

envyyourethics
01-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Id be in for all the remaining GFX depending on the price.

Grill also.

Let me know.

Also is the Rad/intercooler setup there? Plumbing?

raccoon
01-04-2008, 06:53 PM
^^ sorry CSX-T's were just standard T1 Cars no intercooler :(

Csx254
01-04-2008, 07:17 PM
pm sent...yesterday actually...

zin
01-04-2008, 07:45 PM
If available, I'd be interested in:

Radio and CD player
Rims
Boost gauge
Window scrapers (someone already mentioned them, right?)

How many miles are showing on it?

I do have the boost gauge, I'll see about the other stuff. I'll try to get a shot of the odo.

Mike

zin
01-04-2008, 07:50 PM
found a steering wheel on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-Shelby-CSX-SteeringWheel-Lancer-Omni-Daytona-Dodge_W0QQitemZ270199785066QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3370 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Holy Bat Crap Batman! $250.00!!!?? And no horn button? I hate to say it, but my Brother got this one for $8.00! :partywoot: It wasn't in as good condition, but heck, he could have it leather wrapped for less than that!

zin
01-04-2008, 07:58 PM
^^ sorry CSX-T's were just standard T1 Cars no intercooler :(

This one's pretty bizarre gus! The rad/intercooler assembly is a geni Shelby unit, I'll try to snap a pict of the decal. I don't know if it was that way originally or if someone converted it, but this thing has a lot of weirdness going on. Factory alarm, CD, Visor light, converted to TBI. Just strange. I have read that a few were either built with the intercooler or converted, not trying to say I've found a one of none, but it is a strange brew.

rich tideswell
01-04-2008, 08:24 PM
This one's pretty bizarre gus! The rad/intercooler assembly is a geni Shelby unit, I'll try to snap a pict of the decal. I don't know if it was that way originally or if someone converted it, but this thing has a lot of weirdness going on. Factory alarm, CD, Visor light, converted to TBI. Just strange. I have read that a few were either built with the intercooler or converted, not trying to say I've found a one of none, but it is a strange brew.

Well of the 999 CSX-T's that were availble (shelby always kept the number 1 car) romuor has it that atleast 1 car came with a factory sunroof and was given to the daughter of a Thrifty executive, and possiby 4 were converted to Turbo II cars with one of them possibly ending up at a Shelby dealer in Conneticuit. Sssoooo is this car one of the four or did some smarty pants swap in the correct Turbo II goodies??? <--- rehtorical question there as I have no clue what cars got the swap....

rich tideswell
01-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Holy Bat Crap Batman! $250.00!!!?? And no horn button? I hate to say it, but my Brother got this one for $8.00! :partywoot: It wasn't in as good condition, but heck, he could have it leather wrapped for less than that!

I'm not the moron bididng this stuff up. I found it and thought I would share it. And I do share your feelings, it's a very expensive part, but for those that need it and have to have it, I suppose they're just going to bite the bullet and pull out thier check book.

zin
01-04-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm not the moron bidding this stuff up. I found it and thought I would share it. And I do share your feelings, it's a very expensive part, but for those that need it and have to have it, I suppose they're just going to bite the bullet and pull out their check book.

The $250 was their Buy it Now price, but it does set the tone as to what they expect to get, I could see $150 or so, $250 just seems a bit high. I am a cheap bastard though! :D

GLHSKEN
01-04-2008, 10:47 PM
20 years later, you want a pristine piece for the cars, expect to pay the price. That is WELL below what I paid for an '87 GLHS steering wheel a few years back...

Looks brand new..

Anonymous_User
01-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Isn't the CD player quite odd also? I've never seen a CD player in a CSX-T.

raccoon
01-05-2008, 09:47 AM
yea the cd was added for sure, the head unit looks to be from a neon. I know for a fact its not the 88 deck.

zin
01-05-2008, 07:14 PM
yea the cd was added for sure, the head unit looks to be from a neon. I know for a fact its not the 88 deck.

After looking at the Rad/intercooler assembly I pulled from it, I'm pretty sure it's a unit from a GLHS, the fan shroud doesn't really fit, same thing I ran into when I was upgrading the fan on my GLH with the one from an 89 CSX. Looks to be that one of the previous owners just did what I would have, upgraded it with factory parts.

Now for the bad news for any of you that had requested parts, I went by this morning before work, and pretty much anything worth getting has been stripped. And whoever did it was a HACK! Just busted the plastic to get whatever they wanted (CD Player, etc.). I'll post some picts when I can. I imagine these parts will show up on Ebay soon, so if you wanted any of this stuff, keep an eye out on Ebay for it.

I'm mildly irritated because I had to slosh through the mud out there only to find it picked clean, if it was someone here, I would have appreciated a heads-up so I wouldn't have wasted my time. BUT, the reason I started this thread in the first place was to get some opinions on whether this car was "special" or just a mod'd car, and, more importantly, to let folks know the car was there so they could get parts they might need. So I guess in the end, the goal was accomplished, the parts didn't go to the crusher! Hopefully whoever got them will be able to use them and not gouge folks if they sell them.

Mike

2.216VTurbo
01-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Not me, I try to be somewhat careful when removing the parts I want to not damage other useable parts that I am leaving behind. Smash and grab is faster but less rewarding for me. Next time Mike, if you have any intention of going back, dont post up the exact yard;)

BadAssPerformance
01-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Reminds me of the kid in Detroit who asked for a list of what to take off of an '87 CSX in a yard... I gave him a very specific list and everything I wanted off of it and told him to give me a package price... he never did and ended up selling most of it on e-bay :(

rich tideswell
01-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Reminds me of the kid in Detroit who asked for a list of what to take off of an '87 CSX in a yard... I gave him a very specific list and everything I wanted off of it and told him to give me a package price... he never did and ended up selling most of it on e-bay :(

wow...i never saw any shelby's of any kind in the eastside yards, and belive me, over the years I've been to them all.

raccoon
01-05-2008, 08:27 PM
people who smash parts need to be beaten. whats so hard about removing a few screws?

worst by far junkyard offense is smashing taillights to get at the bulbs, it just infuriates me. or asking to use my tools! ARRRRR!

BadAssPerformance
01-05-2008, 08:32 PM
wow...i never saw any shelby's of any kind in the eastside yards, and belive me, over the years I've been to them all.

If I knew what yard I would have had someone I knew in there after I knew I was getting screwed...

BadAssPerformance
01-05-2008, 08:32 PM
people who smash parts need to be beaten. whats so hard about removing a few screws?

worst by far junkyard offense is smashing taillights to get at the bulbs, it just infuriates me. or asking to use my tools! ARRRRR!

That is BS! also smashing intakes to get turbos off? WTF!

moparfwdsleeper
01-05-2008, 09:20 PM
After looking at the Rad/intercooler assembly I pulled from it, I'm pretty sure it's a unit from a GLHS, the fan shroud doesn't really fit, same thing I ran into when I was upgrading the fan on my GLH with the one from an 89 CSX. Looks to be that one of the previous owners just did what I would have, upgraded it with factory parts.

Now for the bad news for any of you that had requested parts, I went by this morning before work, and pretty much anything worth getting has been stripped. And whoever did it was a HACK! Just busted the plastic to get whatever they wanted (CD Player, etc.). I'll post some picts when I can. I imagine these parts will show up on Ebay soon, so if you wanted any of this stuff, keep an eye out on Ebay for it.

I'm mildly irritated because I had to slosh through the mud out there only to find it picked clean, if it was someone here, I would have appreciated a heads-up so I wouldn't have wasted my time. BUT, the reason I started this thread in the first place was to get some opinions on whether this car was "special" or just a mod'd car, and, more importantly, to let folks know the car was there so they could get parts they might need. So I guess in the end, the goal was accomplished, the parts didn't go to the crusher! Hopefully whoever got them will be able to use them and not gouge folks if they sell them.

Mike

any chance you got the bump guard molding on the sides did you?

zin
01-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Not me, I try to be somewhat careful when removing the parts I want to not damage other usable parts that I am leaving behind. Smash and grab is faster but less rewarding for me. Next time Mike, if you have any intention of going back, don't post up the exact yard;)

Well, that's just it, I really didn't plan on going back, I just wanted to be sure the parts didn't go to waste, that's why my only irritation was that I wasted some time. If I had planned on getting parts to sell, etc, I wouldn't have let the cat out of the bag. In the end this thread served it's original purpose, just sorry I wasn't able to help some folks out.

zin
01-05-2008, 11:27 PM
any chance you got the bump guard molding on the sides did you?

Not real sure which pieces you're referring to. Do you mean the lower ground FX?

moparfwdsleeper
01-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Not real sure which pieces you're referring to. Do you mean the lower ground FX?

Inside the red box... Blue pinstrip