PDA

View Full Version : Hydrolocked Saturn

cordes
01-01-2008, 10:44 PM
The background for this one is in this thread http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=252566#post252566

I have pulled the plugs, tried to pump the water out, and now it appears as though the valves are acting as a positive stop for the pistons. I spend a good portion of this last friday pulling a head off of a 97 saturn only to find that the #4 cyl was toast. There are 12 good valves in the head though, and I now have some extra cams and springs. For the price I could not go wrong.

Any advise on this beast? When it died there was not any violent knocking or anything it just died so I am hoping for the best.

I am really looking to sell this car, as this was the final straw for me. It has been a great car but I just replaced the water pump, fixed the exhaust, and now this. It is time to trade up to a car that is in good shape with the ability to interchange parts between my omni, shadow, and 600.

Thanks for any suggestions guys.

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Unless the timing chain skipped or broke, theres no reason the valves should be anywhere near the pistons. Hydraulicing the engine shouldn't affect this one bit. My guess is its got a broken piston or bent rod, stopping it from turning over, I just went thru this with a 4.0L Jeep. Remove the head then compare piston deck heights, it will be fairly obvious if one or more are bent.

slasky
01-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Unless the timing chain skipped or broke, theres no reason the valves should be anywhere near the pistons. Hydraulicing the engine shouldn't affect this one bit. My guess is its got a broken piston or bent rod, stopping it from turning over, I just went thru this with a 4.0L Jeep. Remove the head then compare piston deck heights, it will be fairly obvious if one or more are bent.

As usual, I think simon is right. My friend did the same to his 4.0 jeep as well. You are probably looking at bent rods.

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2008, 11:17 PM
As usual, I think simon is right. My friend did the same to his 4.0 jeep as well. You are probably looking at bent rods.

Man, I never get tired of hearing that, lol! :clap:

I forgot to add, after I tried to clear mine, it make a clunk and then locked, so I turned it backwards then cranked it over, it finally did it but boy, the clunking was loud. Looked underneath and hey, daylight in the pan, lol!

tryingbe
01-02-2008, 01:47 AM
I'd spend $400 for a replacement engine and dropped it in, if you were to keep it.

But if you're just going to sell it, just sell it as-is.

dodge80_89
01-02-2008, 08:37 AM
This is probably what you are going to find when you look into the engine...
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r50/specdracing/DSC01019.jpg

This was a random picture found on the internet. A coworker's girlfriend did something similar on her Grand Am V6, and she ended up having 2 bent rods. Sorry for your luck, hopefully you can get it fixed.

BIGBRUDDA
01-02-2008, 10:18 AM
How bout strappin some floatation on the car, and usin it for Whitewater!:D

Sorry Cordes.........cheap shot..................I'll slap myself:o:banghead:

cordes
01-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I was definitely hoping for a broken timing chain or tensioner. I don't know that I will be that lucky though. I will keep this thread updated as I go along.