PDA

View Full Version : New here....looking at options for my 71 Dart Swinger

Sledgehammer
12-31-2007, 10:48 PM
I just sold my Outlaw 10.5 /Super Street 1970 Camaro the other week but still have my 71 Dodge Dart.

I currently have a warmed over 360 in the car now. I am bouncing around the idea of doing a single or twin setup for this or even doing the same with a big block.

I am looking at possibly running the car heads up in Drag Radial.

http://www.sledgehammermotorsports.com/albums/2004NSCAQuakerCity/nscasalem2004_1.jpg

I don't know much about what I would need to make this happen so any suggestions and guidance is and very welcome.

fishcleaner
12-31-2007, 10:54 PM
you sold the camaro, thats a good start, Mopar or no car

Sledgehammer
12-31-2007, 10:59 PM
I still have this sitting on the engine stand.
http://www.sledgehammermotorsports.com/albums/More-Camaro-Photos/cecil_041506_516.sized.jpg

I will be the first to admit it....I will race whatever runs. I just wanna drive/race.:D

I am still looking at combinations and even pondered putting my Big Chief motor in the Dart. I just miss racing....and right now the motor that is in the Dart is a mild 10sec nitrous motor.

moparzrule
01-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Build a 408 stroker out of the 360, keep it small block for the weight advantage but still big cubes!
Should easily make you a 10 sec N/A car and 9 sec nitrous.
What cam are you running now in the 360? What heads? Intake/carb?

For turbo you'd need to change the cam and make some custom headers. Also, EFI is easier for tuning with a turbo but you can still do it with a carb if you want.
IMO, I would still go N/A just go for the bigger cubes of the stroker.
Oh forgot to ask what fuel does it run?

Anonymous_User
01-02-2008, 09:33 AM
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=d5e4222762ab2cafaf1c8112a48be0 16&

SebringLX
01-05-2008, 12:41 PM
360 can actually be stroked to a 426. I wanted to do that with my old truck before I decided to trade it in for a new one.

BadAssPerformance
01-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the forum, looks like you got a nice project there! :thumb:

For a TT SB setup:

EFI System: It would be best to start out with a FAST (or other) aftermarket EFI system so that it is easily tuneable. Just to get it to run tho, you could steal the wirning and electronics off of a V8 Dakota or Ram...

Fuel: In addition to the EFI management, you're going to need a lotta fuel... Aeromotive A-1000 (or SX, etc. equivalent) should be good to 800hp.

Intake: Can use the M1 intake (the new school one) with the injector bungs or even the late model Magnum intake for that matter, custom sheet metal intak ewould be the best bet tho.

Exhaust: Custom headers may be needed here, the mopar headers don't flip-flop backwards as easy as the 5.0L Ford ones...

Turbos: how much HP do you want to make?

Intercooler: It is easier with less lumbing to use individual intercoolers and "Y" the piping together before the throttle body, but it may package easier to get one large intercooler and "Y" the pipes together beforehand...

Engine internals: Probably need some custom slugs to drop the C/R down to 8.0:1 or 8.5:1 ... nice forged Weisco, JE, etc to put up with teh extra pressure too! Good rods are also a must for whatever HP level you are looking for. How much HP is a 360 block good for?

well, thats teh short list off the top of my head, keep us posted on which direction you plan to go!

Sledgehammer
04-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Welcome to the forum, looks like you got a nice project there! :thumb:

For a TT SB setup:

EFI System: It would be best to start out with a FAST (or other) aftermarket EFI system so that it is easily tuneable. Just to get it to run tho, you could steal the wirning and electronics off of a V8 Dakota or Ram...

Fuel: In addition to the EFI management, you're going to need a lotta fuel... Aeromotive A-1000 (or SX, etc. equivalent) should be good to 800hp.

Intake: Can use the M1 intake (the new school one) with the injector bungs or even the late model Magnum intake for that matter, custom sheet metal intak ewould be the best bet tho.

Exhaust: Custom headers may be needed here, the mopar headers don't flip-flop backwards as easy as the 5.0L Ford ones...

Turbos: how much HP do you want to make?

Intercooler: It is easier with less lumbing to use individual intercoolers and "Y" the piping together before the throttle body, but it may package easier to get one large intercooler and "Y" the pipes together beforehand...

Engine internals: Probably need some custom slugs to drop the C/R down to 8.0:1 or 8.5:1 ... nice forged Weisco, JE, etc to put up with teh extra pressure too! Good rods are also a must for whatever HP level you are looking for. How much HP is a 360 block good for?

well, thats teh short list off the top of my head, keep us posted on which direction you plan to go!

This project is going to be a max effort deal for heads up racing. I am looking at Outlaw Drag Radial right now and possibly one day updating chassis to a tube chassis and looking at my options then.

For Horsepower: somewhere between 1500 - 2000hp

So right now I am looking at setting up the foundation for this deal and doing a little racing or taking the season off and really get things going.

BadAssPerformance
04-01-2008, 01:02 AM
That cars gonna be a rocket! Sounds like you have a lot to accomplish so it might be easier to take the season off? unless you want to run the 1st half of the season while you collect parts?

WickedShelby88
04-01-2008, 01:53 AM
Sheesh and I thought the 440 this guys 68 Dart was running and getting 6's in the 1/8th was fast.. He was getting 140 mph plus trap speeds though.

Sledgehammer
07-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Well it looks like my 632 is going "Down Under" and time to seriously start thinking about this project.

Need to consider what turbo or turbos I should go with. Also looking at heads.

I might even consider doing a big block....God knows I got enough stuff laying around the shop.

butchsuppe
07-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Bown ALKY big block FTW. :eyebrows:

TT440
07-21-2008, 07:09 PM
A couple of companies on the turboforum.com were advertising b/w s480s for sale for 825.00 with the race cover although that was with a 1.32 exhaust, might have to get smaller exhausts due to the relatively small cubes. Thes should get you in the power range you are looking for.

Sledgehammer
08-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Well this season is a bust. It took longer than I expected to get stuff sold. I still need to get my tig welder setup and a few other things for it to get it up and running. I have been looking at Big Block options and even a small block P7 deal.

TT440 - the s480's with the 1.32 exhaust will support how many cubes?

Dusty_Duster
08-28-2008, 02:57 PM
360 can actually be stroked to a 426. I wanted to do that with my old truck before I decided to trade it in for a new one.

This is true, but at that point the stroke is EXTREMELY long. That wouldn't be good for turbocharging.