PDA

View Full Version : Need A Maserati Pic

Rampage16V
02-19-2006, 08:25 PM
I need of a maserati TC timing sprocket pic showing the orientation of the camshafts @ TDC#1.
I have cams with only one keyway and sprockets with 3 keyways

2.216VTurbo
02-20-2006, 12:14 AM
Dean,

I'm a bit confused, my cams have two keyways but the sprockets only have one?? Anyway the cams are identical and can be made into an exhaust cam by locating the woodruff key into the SCA (scarico/exhaust) slot or into an intake cam by locating the key into the ASP (aspirazone/intake) slot. I know there were differences between early and late production 16V motors so anything is possible. When assembled and timed the sprocket keyways (leave the bolts out so you can see the keyways;) ) should be facing inward twards eachother and just a tic below the centerline. The alignment holes in the sprockets are just about one tooth below the centerline of the sprockets. Also the end camshaft bearing caps have blind holes in them so you can 'pin' the cams like on a TIII. They are pinned from the top and into the cam rather than the side and into the gear like on the TIII.

So I guess my question for you would be WATCHA BUILDING DEAN???????

Rampage16V
02-20-2006, 09:17 AM
OK I have a factory manual and I knew all that stuff. This head has the bosses but no holes drilled to be pinned. The cams have one keyway each cams are marked intake and exhaust. The sprockets have 3 keyways each. And are marked I on one also the keyways are marked but they must be off a different motor cause they are not close at all.
The keyway aligned with the small hole near the timing belt edge is no where near the right spot for camshaft alignment to be right. As a matter a fact none of the keyways in the sprockets are anywhere close with the sprockets keyed up like the manual tells you. I ended up looking at an old Rampage pic (neon head) to see approximately where the lobes should be facing and got the engine to run (not very well) so I'd like a pic of someones maserati motor showing the lobe orientation while its at TDC #1

Rampage16V
02-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Oh yeah. This is Marc Youngs GLH

2.216VTurbo
02-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Ok I follow you now. Is there no provision on the cams to 'pin' them either? Are the sprockets .130-.150 'thinner' than SOHC sprockets? If not, they won't clear the valve cover. There was a head assebly that sold on Ebay a few month ago that was way, way preproduction, the valve cover didn't even say Maserati on it only DOHC Chrysler. Is that this set up? That one had flat top buckets (no shims) and all kinds of funky stuff with it from what I could tell from the pics.

I am willing to pull the valve cover for you and set the motor to TDC and snap a pic etc, but it will take a day or so. Plus, won't you actually need to centerline the cams or are you thinking one of the three spocket keyways will be dead on if you can figure out which one it is?

Maybe Rick D. has dealt with this set up before, did you try him ?rick@rdiperformance.com

16vGLHS
02-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Dean,

Sounds to me like what you have there are some pre-production cams and cam sprockets. That would make sense since Marc's head has the "thread on" style thermostat housing but the full (late) production valve cover hold-downs. (his is what I call a "hybrid head"....I have a few just like it here)

Not sure if you know this or not, but the production Masi camshafts have two keyways cut in them. This is done so that the cams are completely interchangable (Intake vs Exhaust). All you have to do is swap the location of the key on the camshaft to dictate whether you want it to be used as an intake or exhaust cam.

Now....the cams you have there sound like the early pre-production cams whereby each cam only has ONE keyway cut into it. So you'll need to figure out which is the intake cam and which is the exhaust cam. One (easy) way is to look at the cam very closely....and see if it says "Scarico" on one of them and "Aspirazone" on the other. Scarico or SCA = Exhaust and Aspirazone (or ASP) = Intake

I'll send you some detailed closeups of some production cams so you can see which is which. I should be able to send the pics tonight. Will snap the pics and send them on over to your email.

The sprockets you have are some of the early sprockets they were testing at Roush. They have three keyways cut in them...none are in the correct location.

You should consider tossing those pre-production sprockets and using some adjustable cam gears so you can centerline Marc's cams for him. Tell him to contact me for pricing on the adjustable cam sprockets for the Masi 16v head. He can fire off a check to me and I'll fire off the cams to you in Canada. Or if he just wants some stock sprockets I can set you/him up with a set of those as well, or you can machine down some stock turbo II sprockets, but you have to get them just right.
Rick D.
www.rdiperformance.com
87 Shelby Charger GLH-S
500+bhp

Rampage16V
02-21-2006, 01:34 AM
Thanks for your Help Rick. Alan I have pics.

2.216VTurbo
02-21-2006, 01:53 AM
Sweet, things are happening here, Masi Motor fans unite:grouphug:

Nice first post Rick, welcome to the party:thumb:

16vGLHS
02-23-2006, 12:24 AM
Thanks Alan! Now we just need to get your new (oversize) valves installed in your GLHS alongwith the new custom chrome moly buckets, etc.. then strap it down on a dyno and let 'er rip!

:eyebrows: