PDA

View Full Version : Best street turbo ever?

jckrieger
02-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Ok, so I finally got my Enforcer 3 turbo rebuilt and the CSX put together last night. The turbo has a 50 trim TO4E compressor wheel in the stock housing and a stage 3 .48 turbine side. I'm only looking for 300-350hp at best, so I figured I'd try the .48 turbine to see how it'd work. Well, I noticed the car starts building boost at 2000RPM at part throttle (about 5psi) and reaches max boost (10psi) by 3K rpm (grainger is turned all the way out). Has anyone else used a stage 3 .48 turbine housing before? This turbo is unbelievable!

Now, to build the 60 trim TO4E Stage 3 .63 turbo for the hybrid motor....

86Shelby
02-19-2006, 03:48 PM
That should spool like no other with the .48 housing on it! I suppose it would be very nice for the street. My hybrid spools about the same on the R/T with the .63 housing(20 psi), great for street driving!

jckrieger
02-19-2006, 04:13 PM
I never imagined a hybrid turbo could spool like this. I was told the turbo would be laggy with the stock intercooler, but heck, that's not the case at all. I can't wait to crank up the boost and see how this thing performs. Now, if only the weather would cooperate...

Dave
02-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Ok, so I finally got my Enforcer 3 turbo rebuilt and the CSX put together last night. The turbo has a 50 trim TO4E compressor wheel in the stock housing and a stage 3 .48 turbine side. I'm only looking for 300-350hp at best, so I figured I'd try the .48 turbine to see how it'd work. Well, I noticed the car starts building boost at 2000RPM at part throttle (about 5psi) and reaches max boost (10psi) by 3K rpm (grainger is turned all the way out). Has anyone else used a stage 3 .48 turbine housing before? This turbo is unbelievable!

Now, to build the 60 trim TO4E Stage 3 .63 turbo for the hybrid motor....

That's incredible. Spools as quickly as a freaking mitsu.

inmyshadow
02-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Man, I thought my quick spool optioned stock TII turbo was a handful with it building peak(20lbs) at 3000RPM.

later

BadAssPerformance
02-19-2006, 04:55 PM
I told ya that .48 stage 3 worked well :thumb:

The S is Silent
02-19-2006, 05:26 PM
That sounds bad----. What other mods are done? Any port work done on the head and exhaust manifold? 2.2 or 2.5?

Frank
02-19-2006, 05:45 PM
This is on a 60trim? You sure you dont have surging because it spools to fast? I would say you do have turbo surge?!

Frank

The S is Silent
02-19-2006, 05:46 PM
This is on a 60trim? You sure you dont have surging because it spools to fast? I would say you do have turbo surge?!

Frank

50 trim. The 60trim is going on his hybrid motor.

cordes
02-19-2006, 08:19 PM
That is pretty quick indeed. It will probably be too quick when you really start laying down the power though.

turbovanmanČ
02-19-2006, 10:02 PM
2.2 or a 2.5?

How does it pull to redline? I wonder when you turn the boost up, it will be like hitting a brick wall? if not, we all learned something new.

cordes
02-19-2006, 10:06 PM
2.2 or a 2.5?

How does it pull to redline? I wonder when you turn the boost up, it will be like hitting a brick wall? if not, we all learned something new.

No kidding, I would have thought that it would have surged like nobodies buisiness. I will wait until he has the boost at about 18-20 PSI before I start looking for a .48 housing though.

jckrieger
02-19-2006, 10:11 PM
This turbo is on a 2.2L T2 bottom end with an 84 G head that I cleaned up a little with a die grinder in the bowl areas. The intake manifold is a stock 2 piece intake and the exhaust manifold is a unit I ported slightly. Exhaust tubing is crush bent 2.5'' out the back with a hollow Flowmaster muffler.

As far as surge goes, I haven't heard anything yet, but it could be a problem... I'll put a boost gage at the intercooler inlet for testing. I remember looking at the boost gage setup at the turbo outlet on my CSXT when it was running 20psi... man would that needle flutter when I let off the throttle! When it comes to cranking things up, well, I can't get the car rolling without wheelspin it's so cold, so we'll see how things work at higher power levels when the pavement warms up a little. Right now the car looks 100% stock, so I can't wait to see what kind of numbers I can put down before going to a larger intercooler.

Ondonti
02-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Having a turbo that spools early must be fun. I wouldnt know anything about that.

jckrieger
02-19-2006, 11:08 PM
I took the car out again tonight over to a friend's house to make sure all the funky smells went away (had anti-seize on the turbine and grease on the downpipe). I can't get boost readings in 1st gear because the tires spin before I start building boost. In 2nd gear, rolling into the throttle I get 5psi by around 2100 and 10psi around 2800, which is the point where the tires start spinning. I can't imagine what this turbo would be like if I could spool it up in 1st and just lay into 2nd gear. 3rd and 4th gear response is excellent, and even 5th is reasonable (can still get boost at 2K). I never thought a 2.2L G headed car could feel like this.

FrankTheTank843
02-22-2006, 09:40 PM
a new kind of monster :thumb:

8valves
02-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Sounds like a great thing for a lower boost intended street brauler. I think you'll run into some issues at higher boost levels though because of backpressure in the manifold from the .48

Let us know how it works though, which may be a while till you can get the tires to hold, and a better intercooler to support it!

Aaron Miller

jckrieger
02-23-2006, 02:27 AM
If all goes well, I should be able to setup a dual stock intercooler or a GN intercooler in the car for some testing. I'd really like to go to the track with the stock intercooler in the car and make some runs at 14psi. With the stock head and turbo, the car ran 14.56 @95mph at 14psi, so I'd like to know how a ported G head and a larger turbo with no other changes affects performance. Even with excessive pressure drop in the intercooler, the larger turbo should help keep compressor efficiency in check with the larger pressure drop... as long as I don't run into surge anyway. As far as the turbine goes, we'll have to see how it works out. I wish there was some good information on turbine backpressure vs A/R, turbine wheel geometry and turbine speed.

John B
02-23-2006, 04:11 AM
Hmmm! I've always wondered why the stage one wheel wasn't more of a restriction than a 2.5" SV. I should have also wondered why it wasn't more restriction than a .48 AR housing! Conventional wisdom has it that you can't make decent power with the .48 but what if the wheel is the greater restriction?? Hmmm. Hmmm again...

Ondonti
02-23-2006, 04:31 AM
at some point the .48 is going to create diminishing returns, but for the purpose it was bought its probably great.

8valves
02-23-2006, 11:55 AM
at some point the .48 is going to create diminishing returns, but for the purpose it was bought its probably great.

That about sums it up perfectly. :thumb:

Aaron Miller

rbryant
02-23-2006, 06:23 PM
The guys at innovative turbo (the old brains of turbonetics) say that the .48 is good for ~350hp. I think 300 might be a more reasonable number but for an 8V street motor that isn't so bad. It is all about if you want to be responsive or move the power band up so that you don't destroy the tires.

Also remember that the stock exhaust turbine is hella restrictive. The stage II or III wheels will allow the .48 housing to pass a lot more horsepower.

I personally have a .48 w/ stage II wheel and 40 trim TO4E compressor side. The engineer in me says that this is plenty of turbo for an 8V 2.2. A lot of people have good real world luck by making everything bigger so maybe I am stupid to trust the formulas.

Maybe I will actually have the car running some day and try it.

-Rich

turbomopar87
02-23-2006, 08:22 PM
I have all the stock housings on my turbo, and before i bought the car the turbo was rebuilt, and supposudly upgraded by turbonuetics. I figure this means a bigger wheel, since the wheel does not look stock, but looks more like the s70. Once i finished my 2.2 bottom end and mild ported 782, and all other extra goodies, the turbo spools to 25PSi no problem...and thats all by3500rpms. It holds that boost in 3rd and 4th untill redline. Amaing pull, i love it. I haven't had the car above 5200 in 5th gear(yet), but i was at full boost and flying at 120mph+, on a loooong local stretch..i had to shut it down. Alot of the time my wheels will break free in third gear when boost reaches about 20#, but that was on real shitty tires. This is in a TII 87 shelby Z.

GLHSKEN
02-23-2006, 08:33 PM
.48 can make decent power. But none of us stop there... Exhaust side is where its at.. Sure you can trade bottom end for top end... That's with any car.

If you like it.. keep with it. a stock cooler will be the bottleneck... Maxes at 280-290 whp

turbovanmanČ
02-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Hmmmmmmm, I have a .48 housing kicking around. Maybe time to have it machined for my stage III wheel and see what happens, :eyebrows:

jckrieger
02-23-2006, 08:46 PM
.48 can make decent power. But none of us stop there... Exhaust side is where its at.. Sure you can trade bottom end for top end... That's with any car.

If you like it.. keep with it. a stock cooler will be the bottleneck... Maxes at 280-290 whp

That's exactly what I thought, the stage 3 .48 supports more hp than I plan on making (300-400), so it would make no sense to run the .63 for me. I think this setup may be superior to the stage 1 .63 turbine setup for a 300hp application, just look at the Turbonetics application guide on their website. It seems like Turbonetics wouldn't use the stage 1 .63 combo with any application!

jckrieger
02-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Hmmmmmmm, I have a .48 housing kicking around. Maybe time to have it machined for my stage III wheel and see what happens, :eyebrows:

I'd like to see where Turbonetics and Precision put the stage 1 .63 turbine in terms of HP capability. I'm begining to think that the .48 stage 3 setup might be the way to go if you can find a stage 3 turbine for a good price. Now my next test turbo will be a S70 compressor with a GN turbine wheel (similar to stage 1, but lighter and different blade pitch) and a .63 A/R turbine housing.

turbovanmanČ
02-23-2006, 09:45 PM
My current turbo has a stage III wheel so that is taken care off, :thumb:

Russ Jerome
02-24-2006, 03:05 AM
I'd like to see where Turbonetics and Precision put the stage 1 .63 turbine in terms of HP capability. I'm begining to think that the .48 stage 3 setup might be the way to go if you can find a stage 3 turbine for a good price. Now my next test turbo will be a S70 compressor with a GN turbine wheel (similar to stage 1, but lighter and different blade pitch) and a .63 A/R turbine housing.

All those nights of drinking and IMing are paying off :)
Ya never know till ya try it attitude is working great!
Keep it up bud, hats off to the efforts! Keep me up
to speed.

Ondonti
02-24-2006, 04:06 AM
Comming from the man whose turbo never spools till he hits the rev limiter. ;)

Keito
02-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Woulden't lots of air in, restriction of air out,(.48 housing)
cause ++ EGT temps?

I'm not that turbo literate, but I'm trying to learn.

jckrieger
02-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Woulden't lots of air in, restriction of air out,(.48 housing)
cause ++ EGT temps?

I'm not that turbo literate, but I'm trying to learn.

If that was the case, then everyone running 25psi on the stock turbo would be in a world of trouble. When I ran 22psi on my CSXT with the stock turbo, my EGT's were between 1200F and 1500F, depending on how I setup the calibration. I think the .48 housing may increase exhaust temps before the turbine somewhat, but I don't think it would affect the pistons or exhaust valves considerably. Basically, this isn't an issue because look at the people running 18psi on a Mitsu turbo with it's TINY exhaust housing.

Ondonti
02-24-2006, 12:52 PM
The problem is increased exhaust reversion. Thats where the deminishing returns come the higher you turn up the boost.

turbovanmanČ
02-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Comming from the man whose turbo never spools till he hits the rev limiter. ;)

Hahahaa, funny guy, :eyebrows:

I might be tempted to try it, I actually like the way my turbo works right now, I can pin it off the line and not have my tires go up in smoke but the mid and top end is friggin awesome. It should improve hugely in the next couple weeks, just ordering the IC pipes and I am done, its going in. :nod:

JuXsA
02-26-2006, 02:04 PM
any more info on how this turbo is going for you? I was looking at going with a super 60 but this sounds like it could actually be better.

jckrieger
02-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Now that I fixed the check engine light/LM problem, I'll be driving the car a little more today. Basically, you should be able to have this turbo built for a similar price to the S60, but this should have more capability in the long run (slap on a .63 housing if you want 400+HP). I should really call Precision (have to call them anyway to see when I'm getting my refund) and ask them what the limit of the stage 1 wheel really is. I know the Grand Nationals used a revised stage 1 wheel for their ~260 hp application, so I wouldnt' doubt that the stock wheel can be a limitation.

glhs875
02-26-2006, 05:45 PM
No kidding, I would have thought that it would have surged like nobodies buisiness. I will wait until he has the boost at about 18-20 PSI before I start looking for a .48 housing though.

That .48AR will work fine for lower boost levels and stock rpm levels, but when the wick is turned up, it will quickly become a major cork I believe. The higher the boost level is, and also with higher than stock rpm levels, the larger the AR is needed to maintain efficiency. At some point, probably around 18 to 20psi, and above 5500rpm, your going to start hitting a brick wall!!

jckrieger
02-26-2006, 06:42 PM
How many 300-350hp engines operate above 5500RPM with the 8V head anyway? I think even JT shifts below 6,000 and he's making some serious power. Remember, this is for a daily driven 2.2L, not a 400hp drag car :)

TylerEss
02-26-2006, 06:48 PM
I'm so jealous of you guys who can worry about more go-fast for your car. This turbo sounds great for the Max Log engine I'd like to build for my convertible... if I weren't trying to turn it back into a drivable car instead. Awesome turbo!

BadAssPerformance
02-26-2006, 07:05 PM
How many 300-350hp engines operate above 5500RPM with the 8V head anyway? I think even JT shifts below 6,000 and he's making some serious power. Remember, this is for a daily driven 2.2L, not a 400hp drag car :)

I shift my Z just before 7000rpm and it pulls all the way to it too. :thumb: I know it will go higher, I'm just scared to do it, lol.

I shift my bone stock 2.2L T2 shadow at just over 6000rpm running 19psi... it falls off right about at the rev limiter.

jckrieger
02-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Doh, so much for that assumption :) I'm not sure I'll take my CSX much over 6K either, at least not until I get some better lifters.

BadAssPerformance
02-26-2006, 07:31 PM
The stock lifters in my Z are doing fine at 7000 rpm :thumb:

jckrieger
02-26-2006, 11:41 PM
My lifters aren't pumping up well at all, so I definitely need something a bit better than old overheated stock units. I might just throw another used set in from a known quiet head and call it a night, or I could pull some lifters from one of my 2.4L heads and shim them...

I just took the car out for a drive and it's doing quite well. Since the car has a G head, it might not make quite as much power as 15psi would with the stock head, but damn is it quick. If I'm slowly accelerating in 2nd get up a hill and then lay into the throttle, the tires will break loose around 3500RPM and the engine will immediately redline. This isn't with just any old tires either. I tried doing a 0-60 run, but I failed miserably. I let out the clutch fairly quickly and the tires began spinning immediately, so I let off and shifted into second and they started spinning again up to 60mph. At least my Daytona at 16psi will hook up by 5Krpm in 2nd.... so the CSX must be making a bit more power on the top end with a smaller motor and lower compression with smaller exhaust :) Now, if our vendor would start offering aluminized 3'' pipe kits....

The car will see 18psi or more in the next couple weeks once I get the EGT gage hooked back up... the connector got painted with the car, so I need to clean off the connections and run the wire through the firewall. Maybe for once I'll have a low 13 second/high 12 second street car... that isn't totally gutted.

Ondonti
02-27-2006, 04:41 AM
Hahahaa, funny guy, :eyebrows:

I might be tempted to try it, I actually like the way my turbo works right now, I can pin it off the line and not have my tires go up in smoke but the mid and top end is friggin awesome. It should improve hugely in the next couple weeks, just ordering the IC pipes and I am done, its going in. :nod:

True, for a drag car a bigger turbo is nice for drivability.

I think it would be fun to have a 3rd car with a smaller turbo to just play around with though. Fun doesnt mean I can afford it thoguh. :(

turbovanmanČ
02-27-2006, 04:58 AM
True, for a drag car a bigger turbo is nice for drivability.

I think it would be fun to have a 3rd car with a smaller turbo to just play around with though. Fun doesnt mean I can afford it thoguh. :(

Yep, would be nice to play around with multiple turbo's, :thumb:

JuXsA
03-01-2006, 11:07 PM
updates?

jckrieger
03-02-2006, 12:00 AM
updates?

I'll have updates after tomorrow, I've had 2 exams and a lab this week, among other things. I should have some decent info about how the car acts up to 18-19psi, but I'm not going any higher until I get a larger intercooler or better gas.

JuXsA
03-02-2006, 09:23 AM
If you need a better IC I have several forsale ;) I am very excited to hear about this turbo. I was thinking about going with a super 60 because they spool so quickly but this maybe a better option. Spools as quickly and not as limited on the top end.

JuXsA
03-09-2006, 12:18 AM
so how about those updates?

jckrieger
03-09-2006, 01:00 AM
I have an update, but it involves my crappy calibration and tons of rain we've been getting. I don't have time during the week to do stuff because of class, but I should have a little more info friday. So far my peak EGT's are around 1400 (I tune to 1500).

My crappy calibration involves trying to lean out the no throttle fuel table to eliminate exhaust pops during decel, but it didn't seem to work the same way as it did in my 91 cal. It seems like with my current timing curves, this calibration doesn't like to be leaned out too much.

jckrieger
03-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Ok, I took the car out for a drive today after hacking off the modified flowmaster and installing a 3'' glasspack. The car is still set at around 16psi (need to stretch the spring in the grainger) but it's pulling strong. I think the car would do even better with an aftermarket cam and a good intercooler, but it still pulls to at least 6K. If you're looking for a turbo for a daily driven 2.2L Daytona with a 5sp, this might not be the turbo for you, but if you're looking for a little more lag and good top end, this turbo seems to be doing great. Since I have lower compression from the G head, I'll be cranking up the boost either later tonight or when I get back from spring break (in 10 days). The best part about this turbo is with just a turbine housing swap, it's good for 450hp!

JuXsA
03-15-2006, 07:09 PM
how well do you think this turbo would work if it were in a true T04E housing with a 2.5L 5spd with a stock head?

CletusJones
03-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Can someone explain what the different stages of compressor/turbine wheels do? How are they different?

Sorry, I'm still a bit new to turbos.

turbovanmanČ
03-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Can someone explain what the different stages of compressor/turbine wheels do? How are they different?

Sorry, I'm still a bit new to turbos.

When they list stage, its the size of the turbine wheel. Stage 1 is stock and quick spool. Stage 2, its larger and heavier, makes more power up top and has a little more lag over stock, good for 8V engines. Stage 3 is bigger and heavier, so more power up top and laggier down low, good for a drag engine, high flowing 8V head or 16v head for sure. On higher flowing engines, you want a larger wheel so you can make more power and the turbo doesn't choke the engine.

On the compressor side, they are listed in numbers, IE 46, 50 etc. That I don't know the exact way they measure it but our engines like the 50 trim on a T3/T4 hybrid turbo.

cordes
03-17-2006, 04:07 PM
When they list stage, its the size of the turbine wheel. Stage 1 is stock and quick spool. Stage 2, its larger and heavier, makes more power up top and has a little more lag over stock, good for 8V engines. Stage 3 is bigger and heavier, so more power up top and laggier down low, good for a drag engine, high flowing 8V head or 16v head for sure. On higher flowing engines, you want a larger wheel so you can make more power and the turbo doesn't choke the engine.

On the compressor side, they are listed in numbers, IE 46, 50 etc. That I don't know the exact way they measure it but our engines like the 50 trim on a T3/T4 hybrid turbo.

What simon said is dead on.

Also there are T3 and T4 family compressor wheels. It is important to know which one you are talking about because a T3 50 trim wheel will be a totally different animal than a T4 50 trim wheel.

The trim of the compressor wheel is derived by deviding the exducer (larger) DIA by the inducer (smaller) DIA. Generaly the larger the trim, the larger the wheel and the more it will flow, but that is not always the case.

jckrieger
03-19-2006, 11:57 AM
how well do you think this turbo would work if it were in a true T04E housing with a 2.5L 5spd with a stock head?

If you were to go with a 2.5L, you might as well go with the .63 turbine housing since you'll have a little extra torque to spare. Then there would be no doubt the turbo would support 400-450hp.

JuXsA
03-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I kinda figured that a .63 is going to be the way to go. Just trying to figure out which stage wheel to get. With a stage one I would imagine there would be little to now lag but could hurt on the topend but a stage 2... i have no idea how much lag there would be on that.

jckrieger
03-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Most of the guys making big power are using the stage 3, but a few people have made good power with the stage 2. I've also heard stories of laggy stage 3's (Simon).

JuXsA
03-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I don't need to make record breaking power... just good power for now. I can always upgrade later

turbovanmanČ
03-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Most of the guys making big power are using the stage 3, but a few people have made good power with the stage 2. I've also heard stories of laggy stage 3's (Simon).

Yep, for the street, stick with Stage 2. Installing a bigger IC definately helped reduce my lag, but if I bought another turbo for an 8V, it would be stage 2, hands down, :nod:

JuXsA
03-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Ok... then I think I am set then... TO4E stage 2 exhaust wheel.... So whats the difference between a super 50 wheel and a regular 50 wheel?

turbovanmanČ
03-24-2006, 05:11 PM
I believe the Super50 wheel is better, ask Mike aka Contraption22, he is testing the difference.

cordes
03-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Ok... then I think I am set then... TO4E stage 2 exhaust wheel.... So whats the difference between a super 50 wheel and a regular 50 wheel?

Go to Frank's website and look at his turbo calculator. It has both maps on it. The super 50 looks to have a better map for our cars with out a doubt.

JuXsA
03-24-2006, 07:16 PM
...hehe I have no idea how to read those maps:) I just figure that the bigger the crazy lines are the better:D

cordes
03-25-2006, 03:24 PM
...hehe I have no idea how to read those maps:) I just figure that the bigger the crazy lines are the better:D

The quick and dirty wat to read them is to multiply the numbers on the bottom by 10, and that is the approximate HP.

The unbers on the left are the absolute pressure in bar. 2 bar would be 14.7 PSI.

The islands that make up the map represent a % of efficiency at that point on the map.

Frank's calculator will take the characteristics for your motor, and make an overlay onto the map which will show how well suited it would be for your application.

Rattlesnake
03-27-2006, 12:53 AM
The guys at innovative turbo (the old brains of turbonetics) say that the .48 is good for ~350hp. I think 300 might be a more reasonable number but for an 8V street motor that isn't so bad. It is all about if you want to be responsive or move the power band up so that you don't destroy the tires.

Also remember that the stock exhaust turbine is hella restrictive. The stage II or III wheels will allow the .48 housing to pass a lot more horsepower.

I personally have a .48 w/ stage II wheel and 40 trim TO4E compressor side. The engineer in me says that this is plenty of turbo for an 8V 2.2. A lot of people have good real world luck by making everything bigger so maybe I am stupid to trust the formulas.

Maybe I will actually have the car running some day and try it.

-Rich

I had a T61 with a .48 housing and a stage 3 wheel. My first and only pull?406whp and 453wtorque.

rbryant
03-27-2006, 01:50 AM
The ray hall turbo calculator is also good because it gives you more control and plots the power points in different colors:

http://www.turbofast.com.au/turbomap.html

-Rich

JuXsA
03-27-2006, 03:01 AM
The ray hall turbo calculator is also good because it gives you more control and plots the power points in different colors:

http://www.turbofast.com.au/turbomap.html

-Rich

holy crap thats nuts....I don't even know what the hell im doing

contraption22
03-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Some experts I have spoken to say that the flow difference between S2 and S3 turbine wheels is marginal, but the difference in spool is dramatic.

JuXsA
03-27-2006, 03:13 PM
yeah... I need to get off my --- and buy the turbo. T04E S50 trim stg2 in a .63 housing

although the super 46 sounds nice too. Any one have any experiance with one of those?

contraption22
03-27-2006, 11:21 PM
If you can hold off a couple more weeks, I will be testing the Super50 versues the regular 50

cordes
03-28-2006, 05:35 PM
If you can hold off a couple more weeks, I will be testing the Super50 versues the regular 50

I know I am on the edge of my seat for that one. So many people in favor of one or the other from time to time. It will be nice to put the debate to rest with our cars once and for all.

JuXsA
03-29-2006, 11:35 AM
The head may eventually get port work to it. So I don't want to limit myself. Thats kind of why I have been considering a stage1 .63 A/R. Then I shouldn't have to worry to much about lag and it should still give me plenty of topend. Cindy had recommended a stage1 .63 with a super 46 trim for a street car with no real port work. But I am kind of wondering how that would work with a super 50 trim....

Then there is also getting a stage2 wheel with a super46 trim.... The stage2 would allow for more topend but since the S46 trim wheel would allow for a quicker spool.

TurboBuggy
06-20-2006, 12:19 PM
so how much boost have you got this turbo up to so far?

turbovanmanČ
06-20-2006, 12:40 PM

Any news Mike?

jckrieger
06-20-2006, 01:05 PM
I just recently installed a large spearco/treadstone intercooler in the CSX and will be cranking the boost up as I have time. So far I've run about 18psi and the car screams. As Simon pointed out, the upgraded intercooler decreases spool time even more.

turbovanmanČ
06-20-2006, 01:07 PM
As Simon pointed out, the upgraded intercooler decreases spool time even more.

I liked that part, :nod:

GLHS377
12-11-2006, 01:07 PM
any updates?

jckrieger
12-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Since my last post I've installed a hybrid a555/a520 OBX transmission and converted the turbo to a .63 housing since my new goal with the car is max power. I haven't had a chance to tune the car well as I've been busy with school and what not. So far my biggest challenge is trying to tune my 87 2.2L cal to work efficiently on 2.5L. Oh yeah, I think I still had the 2.2L during my last post as well. So, anyway... the 2.5L with the .63 housing is definitely more laggy than the 2.2L with the .48. Some of this could be due to poor tuning, but I'm not that far off. I went to the track and made 1 pass at about 17ish psi. 14.2 @ 101.8mph. During this run the car was pulling timing the entire time, so I think the car could make some good power. The reason the ET was so bad is that I had the 2 step rev limiter tuned for a good launch on the street, but it completely bogged the car at the sticky track.