PDA

View Full Version : 86 silver shelby charger restoration

spoolinhard
12-23-2007, 03:13 PM
I bought this car about two years ago off of Thud from the TD forum. I drove down to Tennessee to get it. I had been looking for a silver 86 with a sunroof for probably 6 years. The car was pretty well rust free. It had been sitting for 12 years. It was previously wrecked and the entire frame/engine basket was pushed over to one side just enough that sheet metal would not fit on the car. I bought the car without interior, front sheet metal or wheels. (brought it home on blocks)

Since I have gottten the car I have:
rewired the engine bay
new timing belt
new rack and pinion
replaced the trottle body, gas tank,fuel pump, all the sensors under the hood.
got the car running

I just recently took the car to a frame shop and had the front frame pulled.
I have gotten the front sheetmetal for it smoothed out, primed, jambed, on the car and gapped. I have redone the headliner. Mixed up some chrysler gray and blue to redye all the plastic pieces in the interior. Plus I have collected a REALLY nice set of seats and carpet for the car. Interior should look like new when Im done. I recently bought a stud gun to pull out the dammage on the drivers quarter. I started out practicing on the drivers door, because I was going to toss it anyway. It came good enough that I am going to use it. I have also gotten the quarter pulled out.
Sorry, I probably will not post current pics until I get the body work done on the quarter and door. Might be a week or two. It is starting to look good though. Here are a few pics of when I first got it.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/Spoolinhard/Oct13513.jpghttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/Spoolinhard/Oct13514.jpghttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/Spoolinhard/Oct13516.jpg

johnl
12-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Gonna be nice. Wish I had that color combo. Is that the Platte river in the back ground?

Xtrempickup
12-23-2007, 11:31 PM
is that a black charger or a GLHS in the background?

DC Turismo
12-24-2007, 02:55 AM
Nice job so far man. I think I was going to buy that interior from the car when he was thinking of parting it, IIRC, but I lost touch with him.

I too would like to find an 86 in that color combo down the road someday. Please keep us updated with your progress!

86Shelby
12-24-2007, 03:24 AM
As long as the weather holds out I'll be over next Sat.

supercrackerbox
12-24-2007, 07:10 AM
What are the odds of you loaning out that stud gun sometime in the spring?

Gonna be nice. Wish I had that color combo. Is that the Platte river in the back ground?

Just a field actually, but the Platte isn't terribly far from there.

#305 IIRC.

spoolinhard
12-24-2007, 10:35 AM
As long as the weather holds out I'll be over next Sat.

Hope to see you then.

that is GLHS 305, havent decided what I want to do with it yet. Long term storage right now.

Nope, no river at all, Im guessing that you are looking at highway 191 in the background:p

What are the odds of you loaning out that stud gun sometime in the spring?

Just a field actually, but the Platte isn't terribly far from there.

#305 IIRC.
Not a problem, I might just come up there and help you out too! I was thinking of you while I was using it. It works sooooo nice. it makes it possible to use panels that normally you couldnt use.

spoolinhard
12-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Nice job so far man. I think I was going to buy that interior from the car when he was thinking of parting it, IIRC, but I lost touch with him.

I too would like to find an 86 in that color combo down the road someday. Please keep us updated with your progress!

yeah, he was parting the car out. I heard that he was parting it, and let him know how rare it was. I talked back and forth with him over a two year period and eventually got the car. I had to resupply alot of parts to the car. The rack was out of the car and all the pieces that connected it to the steering column were gone, the shifter was completely disconnected and everything gone for it too. No problem though, i do have a few parts cars:p