PDA

View Full Version : upgrades/mods you can think to do to a 84 TurboZ

glhturbo1985
12-22-2007, 12:39 PM
I just got an 84 Turbo Z with 50k on it. It a 3 speed auto. I just went through a bunch of crap fixing rust and holes in the floor. Then the timing belt fell apart due to being 24 years old, so i replaced all the belts and the water pump while i was down there..

i've done a little researching and the only things I think i can do without too much work or rebuilding, since this is my daily driver, is finding the 10 psi logic module... I NEED HELP FINDING ONE FOR THE AUTOMATIC....I have one for a 5 speed.
From the manuals I've read... the module allows the car to boost at 10 psi for seven seconds or so and then backs down to the 7.5 psi for ten seconds, then back up to 10 psi. OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

I could do the DC intercooler, but that involves a fair amount of work.

any thought, ideas, comments, or corrections appreciated and welcome

cordes
12-22-2007, 12:47 PM
I think that the MP LM code for those might be on D-cal. I will go over there and check. It would be a lot easier to burn a new chip than to track down that LM.

ETA: There is not an 84 cal over there. I would just use a grainger since it is a mechanical WG, so I am not sure how the computer would control it anyway.

glhturbo1985
12-22-2007, 03:15 PM
can you break it down to kindergarten level 4 me. What did you mean by D-cal.

What did you mean by using a grainger???

when you say burn a chip..... do you mean the chip in the logic module or in the computer under the hood (alternator regulating device)

i know its a mechanical wastegate which is different between 84 & 85 Turbo I's. the later is switched to electric.

keep in mind that the logic module which is in mine currently, the stock 84 one, has NO vacuum line fed into it like the later electronic wastegate 2.2's. I know that mine is definately different than the 85 Turbo Z as I have grabbed one out of a junkyard and the logic module had the vacuum line.

slasky
12-22-2007, 03:39 PM
The 84 did not use the computer to control boost; it is strictly a mechanical vacuum control system. Putting in the MP logic module will not increase boost at all. They included a small vacuum bleed with the module that you would splice into the existing vacuum control that would increase the boost.

cordes
12-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Boost control. Mind you that a manual bleed will be the only way for you to do it.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_boost.html

D-cal and Chem are programs that many of us use to edit the table files in a calibration so that we can run larger injectors or more boost without having to fool the computer. It is more accurate, and safer to do. In the past year or so it has also become much eaiser for the average Joe to do this.

You can look at the D-cal group over on yahoo, or check out www.moparchem.com which is a great site.

glhturbo1985
12-22-2007, 10:52 PM
thank you!