PDA

View Full Version : TU Cast Header Install Pics

johnl
12-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Here's some pics.

Still have some clocking/coolant return issues of my own making.

Since these pics, the coolant return, which you can see is too tight a stretch, was extended. The extension, which you see in the first pic, for the coolant return comes with the header. When a second 90* AN/NIC fitting is added to it, the hose rises and the tight stretch goes away - works perfect. The oil return pipe is also supplied and it had to be welded to the flange.

Forgot to drill and tap for egt, so the header comes off tonight for that and then the engine should be in the GLHT by tomorrow night.:thumb:

Clay
12-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Sweet! Can't wait to get mine! So, by the looks of things do you think it will be fairly feasible to remove the turbo in the car????

mcsvt
12-21-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm jealous, I can't wait for that package to arrive!!

johnl
12-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Sweet! Can't wait to get mine! So, by the looks of things do you think it will be fairly feasible to remove the turbo in the car????

Yes, much easier. You might sweat some elbows onto the heater hose barbs though, as it looks like the compressor housing will be real close to them - at least in an L-body.

turbovanmanČ
12-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Looking good, :thumb:

Is that an Ebay turbo? :eek: :confused: ;)

Pandemoniac
12-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Looks nice, my buddy from my town still hasn't got his in the mail yet even though he ordered one of the 1st 4!

moparfwdsleeper
12-22-2007, 03:25 AM
=
Since these pics, the coolant return, which you can see is too tight a stretch, was extended. The extension, which you see in the first pic, for the coolant return comes with the header.

:)That is the coolant feed line, the return is on the head:thumb: Looks nice, ill be looking forward to seeing it all in a TD!

supercrackerbox
12-22-2007, 04:40 AM
Okay, how did you attatch that heat shield to the intake? And what did you use?

Please tell me it was expensive and a real pain so I'm not tempted to pull my engine again . . . :lol:

8valves
12-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Looks great!

johnl
12-22-2007, 01:54 PM
The heat shield is old; it's made from an old battery box/heat insulator; the material is two layers of dimpled, sort of corrugated stainless with what looks to be an asbestos center layer. I cut it with snips, made a new seam to seal the asbestos in; tucked it into place, light tapping with a plastic hammer, then tied it up with some stainless safety wire. Look close for another method of heat isolation.

The exhaust studs hit the outside of the short turns so I ground some iron off. Probably a better idea to grind the studs down a bit, instead.
when installing, it takes three hands to hold the manifold up so it is not yet flush to the gasket, while you get the stud nuts started. After they are all started, then you can spin them down to bring the manifold flange into contact with the gasket before tightening.

Chris W
12-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Looks nice, my buddy from my town still hasn't got his in the mail yet even though he ordered one of the 1st 4!

That's because Tony requested that we hold on to his header until he pays us for the thermal coating. It will be shipped to him once we are paid.:thumb:

Chris-TU

mcsvt
12-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Figured I'd take a picture of the place mine is going :D

It's waiting so nicely!! I'm actually in no hurry, mainly anticipation...

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z180/61beet/IMG_2428.jpg

8valves
12-23-2007, 01:09 AM
Damn nice looking intake! :)

They sure look nice polished once they're on there, eh?

envyyourethics
12-23-2007, 01:33 AM
Look close for another method of heat isolation.

Wouldn't happen to be the spacer between the upper and lower intake? Would it?:p

mcsvt
12-23-2007, 01:42 AM
Yeah definitely looks good back there!!

Another teaser because I can :)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z180/61beet/IMG_2426.jpg

johnl
12-23-2007, 05:24 AM
Wouldn't happen to be the spacer between the upper and lower intake? Would it?:p

Good eyes. 3/8" Phenolic.

GLHSKEN
12-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Figured I'd take a picture of the place mine is going :D

It's waiting so nicely!! I'm actually in no hurry, mainly anticipation...

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z180/61beet/IMG_2428.jpg

Hmmmmm....Very Nice Gary, and John!!!

John, where did you get the material to make the spacer?? I want to get some teally thin to insulate the fuel rail.

Gary, Which fuel rail??

Clay
12-23-2007, 09:28 AM
oh, thats the TU fuel rail that gary outbid me on! ;)

mcsvt
12-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Yeah I still owe Clay a beer for that, he wasn't drinkin at your party.

Bubba
12-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Nice pictures of your install. Thanks for pointing out the need to grind some of the exhaust studs for clearance. Still waiting to see mine in person!

johnl
12-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Hmmmmm....Very Nice Gary, and John!!!

John, where did you get the material to make the spacer?? I want to get some teally thin to insulate the fuel rail.

Gary, Which fuel rail??

The spacer material is a phenolic which has a brand name of Arboron, spelling could be wrong. Arboron does not have the very high heat ratings of other types of phenolics; I forget 300*ish or less; I took a torch to it and made it bubble. Some types of phenolic, G7 and G11 for maybe - I forget which, are actually ablative - they won't burn even if torched; they will char and erode but will not burn but they are only rated at 450-500*. Arboron is NOT that good. It is softer, less glass fiber in it - actually cellulose instead, more resin. Easier to work with. All phenolics are toxic - the chips and dust are a big no no and they just tear up tools.

You can get it on ebay. Remnants are what you want, otherwise it is very expensive.

More info here http://www.professionalplastics.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/85269/sesent/00/Arboron%C2%AE-Phenolic-Laminate

and here
http://composite-laminates.com/g7-sheets.htm#G-7%20Plates%20and%20Sheets

Dave
12-24-2007, 03:11 AM
There are no clearance issues with the compressor inlet and the brake booster? If not, I'm sure there would be in the minivans with their larger boosters.

Looks good.

badandy
12-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Why isn't somebody already making these?

8valves
12-24-2007, 01:28 PM
There are no clearance issues with the compressor inlet and the brake booster? If not, I'm sure there would be in the minivans with their larger boosters.

Looks good.

I'm fairly certain this new design doesn't move the compressor any farther to the drivers side than the previous header; which I ran two of on an L body with an E cover compressor with zero interference issues with a 4" inlet tube using a 90* coupler of the inlet.

I would imagine the vans, even with the big booster has far more room.

iTurbo
12-25-2007, 11:44 PM
Isn't that an A525 in the pics? What kind of shifter setup are you going to use?

supercrackerbox
12-26-2007, 03:33 AM
Good eye, looks like a 525 to me.

johnl
12-26-2007, 05:25 AM
Was gonna post some more pics but misplaced the dang camera; I'll get em up later.

Engine/trans is now in the car. Man I love that load leveler! Sweet how that thing snakes the package in.

This is in an Omni of course; there is just barely enough room for the heater hoses, in and out, to clear the compressor cover. I put a different turbo on it than you see in the pics. The turbo that is now in the car is a Turbonetics T3/T4 (through TU) with a larger cover. No issues with the brake booster or anything else. No more need for an elbow on the compressor outlet either - just shoots straight out over the trans.

Yes, it is a 525, a hybrid that, Cliff Ramsdell built for me a couple years ago so it has good gears; it also has a Shelby cam & pawl differential and the full girdle and the moly plate. No problems but then I have'nt had the car running enough to really test it either. Converted to 525 cables to make room for the header. I had heim joint 525 linkage on it but the linkage argues with the head pipe when the head pipe gets stepped over to the driver side by a TU header; that's so for both the weld el or the cast.

Bubba
03-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Any new updates, final installation pictures?

mcsvt
03-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Mine is sitting in my room looking pretty... Can't wait to put it on, need to buy some other things first though...

Bubba
03-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Mine is sitting in my room looking pretty... Can't wait to put it on, need to buy some other things first though...

Mine's sitting here as well. I started to pull my old head off today. All that's left is to disconnect the downpipe and oil/coolant return lines from the turbo, then I can un-bolt the head and pull her off.

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
03-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Shiny Stuff Is Nice, Does It Work! Ok Ok Just Joking.

Hey! Gary Getting The Beast From East Ready Huh
Me Too!

johnl
03-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Car is running; has other issues.

Lost the headlights to a bulkhead connector that fell out. I'm too big to be stickin my head under a dang L body dash:( and turning upside down:lol:

Lost continuity in the signal wire from the Zeitronix 3.5 map sensor.:mad: Now it needs to be reset, or re-fused (there is a tiny on-board fuse), doesn't work yet has good power and ground.:confused2:

I was swapping cals around, got one that controls detonation at the torque peak but in doing so, it seems to dump too much fuel; I hear explosions in the exhaust system that seem to be in or behind the cat; maybe unburned fuel being touched off by the cat?:confused: No time to figure it out right now.

Bubba
03-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Sorry to hear you're having problems. Yea, getting my head under the dash in my P-body is quite hard. I imagine an L body could be a bit tighter. Well, good luck to you! Let us know when you get things ironed out.

2.216VTurbo
03-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Car is running; has other issues.

Lost the headlights to a bulkhead connector that fell out. I'm too big to be stickin my head under a dang L body dash:( and turning upside down:lol:

Lost continuity in the signal wire from the Zeitronix 3.5 map sensor.:mad: Now it needs to be reset, or re-fused (there is a tiny on-board fuse), doesn't work yet has good power and ground.:confused2:

I was swapping cals around, got one that controls detonation at the torque peak but in doing so, it seems to dump too much fuel; I hear explosions in the exhaust system that seem to be in or behind the cat; maybe unburned fuel being touched off by the cat?:confused: No time to figure it out right now.

I hope that means because you are leaving for Vegas Friday morning...

johnl
03-26-2008, 08:49 PM
No; daughter is in town for Easter Vacation (it is NOT spring break)