PDA

View Full Version : Code 12 never goes away

iTurbo
12-21-2007, 11:40 AM
I get code 12 on my Spirit R/T. I know this is a minor code for the battery power being lost recently, but I haven't had the battery disconnected for months and no problems with the charging system. Why doesn't it ever go away??

raccoon
12-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Its not time based, its how many ignition cycles the car goes though. I'msure it will pass.

iTurbo
12-21-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm sure that's true but I've restarted the car hundreds of times since the battery was last out (many months ago). I deliver pizza in the car and probably restart the car at least a dozen times a day. My stereo never loses it's presets so maybe a ground issue with the SBEC?? Or a symptom of having an underdrive pulley installed?

Also, my OTC 4000E doesn't list the code; I only see it when I do the CEL code check routine.

gvare001
12-21-2007, 12:54 PM
I have an underdrive pulley also and the alternator seems to struggle a bit to keep the battery charged up.

spaceman
12-21-2007, 12:57 PM
same here ,the underdrive pulley make the alt. work harde.do you see any voltage drop on the gauge when you put any accessories on ?maybe its dropping to low and setting it off i think the lowest it can go is like 11.73 ,that the problem i had

iTurbo
12-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Yes, sometimes the headlights do dim when the car is idling. I'm not sure how low it is going. When the engine goes over about 1000 RPM, the charging voltage stays around 14.5v. I'll check the charging voltage at idle tonight with some accessories on. Thanks for the replies.

Turbodave
12-21-2007, 03:09 PM
I've had some cars that I've driven for nearly a year and the code 12 never clears, never had any battery problems on them, the code just sticks around. My Shadow is only car I can remember ever not having the code when I checked it, and that was after using it daily for like two years or something. Not sure why that code doesn't clear out like they say it should, but I would not woryy about it.