PDA

View Full Version : Free 420a head...what to do

1966 dart wagon
12-19-2007, 08:11 PM
there is a guy i go to school with who has a talon that is a parts car he says i can pull the dohc 420a head for free and have any thing i want. All i need to do is pull it which is kind of a pain. I was wondering what more else is envolved in the neon head swap besides dohc fwd perfomance cam gears to adapt the belt, a new timing belt, and the coolant mod, id also need a different turbo. now im thinking of not swapping it but just pull the head/intake/manifold to sell it what would i be looking at for getting for all of these? also i was going to pull the radiator just to have/ and or part out/scrap for the alumnium. what do you guys think? the headswap sounds a lil over my head, ive already did a hg that isnt the problem its just figuring out all the lil stuff. what you think

inmyshadow
12-19-2007, 08:57 PM
the main problem with using the A420 head vs a chrysler DOHC head? The exhaust is in the front for an A420. Since people tend to run the distributor, that doesn't work well.

I'd grab the lower half of the intake manifold for the runners. That will give you a good start on making a hybird intake manifold.

1966 dart wagon
12-20-2007, 12:15 PM
ya the exhaust location vs distrutor is also something else i though of later, i was thinking of just pulling it and selling it/parting out. Anyone need parts for a 97 talon :D

ShelGame
12-20-2007, 12:42 PM
How much you want for it? I have a good collection of 420 heads on my shelf for my 2.4 project, but I can always use more...

1966 dart wagon
12-20-2007, 02:44 PM
How much you want for it? I have a good collection of 420 heads on my shelf for my 2.4 project, but I can always use more...

i honestly dont know how much to ask and i would imagine shipping would about kill, i can get it with intake i would cut the pig tails off the electronics so at least they can be spliced in. and also i can get the manifold.

turbovanmanČ
12-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Is it the Neon head or the Talon 4G63 head?

The one advantage to using the backwards Neon head is the turbo is up front, makes access easier but then exhaust routing will be a PITA.

Theres plenty of info in 16 valve conversion thread, which is where I will move this.

ShelGame
12-20-2007, 03:02 PM
i honestly dont know how much to ask and i would imagine shipping would about kill, i can get it with intake i would cut the pig tails off the electronics so at least they can be spliced in. and also i can get the manifold.

Actually, it's not too bad. I just shipped a "standard" Neon head for $22 w/FedEx ground...

I wouldn't need the intake or other manifolds. T-Stat housing would be nice to get, though.

1966 dart wagon
12-20-2007, 03:18 PM
its the 420a head which is i guess the neon head, its a non turbo dsm motor from 97. wow shipping isnt that bad, i know its a pain when u break those t-housings, my friend had a eclipse with a broken one and i believe they were on backorder from mitsu for like 6 months and they were ordering ALOT of them. shoot me an offer on the head.

inmyshadow
12-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Good thing you aren't on neons.org. You would get flamed to death calling a neon head a 420a head.

There are two different heads. You have Chrysler's dohc head and the 420a dohc head. Two very different heads.

Rob, what thermostat housing are you using? On my 2.4, I'm using a 2gen 2.4 thermostat housing with a 2.0 intake manifold. I also use a hondata intake manifold gasket to isolate my manifold from being heat soaked. I also have a SRT4 metal thermostat filler neck too.

I found another complete 2.4 Caravan the other day. But I didn't pay much attention to the housing.

later

its the 420a head which is i guess the neon head, its a non turbo dsm motor from 97.

ShelGame
12-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Well, I'm going to use the 420a head. So I'm using the 420a t-stat. There's no intake heat soaking by the coolant, since they're on opposite side of the head...

inmyshadow
12-20-2007, 06:26 PM
what about heat soak from the head?

Well, I'm going to use the 420a head. So I'm using the 420a t-stat. There's no intake heat soaking by the coolant, since they're on opposite side of the head...

1966 dart wagon
12-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Good thing you aren't on neons.org. You would get flamed to death calling a neon head a 420a head.

There are two different heads. You have Chrysler's dohc head and the 420a dohc head. Two very different heads.

Rob, what thermostat housing are you using? On my 2.4, I'm using a 2gen 2.4 thermostat housing with a 2.0 intake manifold. I also use a hondata intake manifold gasket to isolate my manifold from being heat soaked. I also have a SRT4 metal thermostat filler neck too.

I found another complete 2.4 Caravan the other day. But I didn't pay much attention to the housing.

later

but i though the neon rt and the non turbo dsms had the same engine...the 420a, or am i wrong...oops the only reason i guess i said that was cause simon asked if it was the talon 4g63 head...which it is not

turbovanmanČ
12-20-2007, 09:29 PM
but i though the neon rt and the non turbo dsms had the same engine...the 420a, or am i wrong...oops the only reason i guess i said that was cause simon asked if it was the talon 4g63 head...which it is not

Well I believe the R/T has a Magnum SOHC 2.0L, ;)

1966 dart wagon
12-20-2007, 10:01 PM

well i guess my sources were wrong...haha. well anyways the head is off a 97 talon, non turbo, its a dohc motor.

inmyshadow
12-21-2007, 04:38 PM
This isn't totally correct either.

The 1st gen R/Ts are 2.0 DOHC. All 2nd gen Neon R/Ts and ACRs are magnum sohc 2.0s.

The motors and trannies are basically the same between a 1st gen neon vs NT Eclipses with key differences. The intake/exhaust setups on the cylinder head is the key difference in the motor. The tranny, its the bell housing, the difference being Chrysler cars are cable clutches vs Mitsubishi cars being hydraulic clutches.

Now there are slight differences between a DOHC 2.0 vs DOHC 2.4 heads. That is the cams and gears. The 2.4 cams are for low end power and the cam gears are turned so the 2.4 is pointing out.

srt4thatazz
01-09-2008, 08:47 PM
ya the exhaust location vs distrutor is also something else i though of later, i was thinking of just pulling it and selling it/parting out. Anyone need parts for a 97 talon :D

Sent you an email.