PDA

View Full Version : new guy here

Shark91
12-18-2007, 10:17 PM
hey guys, been to this site a few times and decided to register, anyways, i turned 16 in march and got my 87 2.2 Daytona and i love it, not so pretty on the outside considering it sat in a feild or about 4 years before i bought it, and what amazes me, i drained the old gas, and put fresh in, and it started right up! oh and i almost forgot, only gave $300 for her :thumb:

anyways, here are some pics of it, ill get updated pics later

pics from the place i bought it from

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture814.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture819.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture816.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture815.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture813.jpg

and pics i took when i got her to a friends house and cleaned a little

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture822.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture821.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture820.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture826.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture825.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture824.jpg

and my $400 set of rubers

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture823.jpg

87glhs232
12-18-2007, 10:23 PM
:welcome:

$300...very nice. In true Turbo Dodge fashion! Welcome to the site, your gonna love it here.

slasky
12-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Welcome. It looks like you came to the right place.

I only wish we could find rust free turbo mopars around here that sat in a field for 4 years.

BadAssPerformance
12-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Welcome!

Nice looking car, I like the color :thumb:

Shark91
12-18-2007, 10:30 PM
thanks guys, and its not exactly rust free, the only rust that ive seen on it, is at the top of the windshield, but other then that its fine, no dents, couple of little nicks but nothing some bondo andd sanding cant fix, but its a sweet car, its one of those thing were you look foward to going to school and work everyday, just to drive it, lol

mcsvt
12-18-2007, 11:05 PM
:welcome:

I've never seen a t-1 87 Daytona ( there is a lot I haven't seen :) ), is it a "pacifica"?... Good looking car for sure!

BLUEBALL
12-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Yeah,another TX TD! :wave1:

Around here rust isnt a big issue. Now paint fade and hardened weatherstripping,thats another story

Shark91
12-18-2007, 11:18 PM
very true, it has faded paint spots everywhere, but yes its a Pacifica, automatic tranny, and digital gauges its the luxury car of the daytonas i believe

cordes
12-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Very cool. Welcome aboard.

mcsvt
12-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Cool, nice combination of options. I like the gray color as well.

Shark91
12-18-2007, 11:25 PM
i like the point too, but itll soon be red, with these rims

https://st15.flashecom.com/modbargain/images/Products/Moven_Wheels/rg5black.jpg

Clay
12-18-2007, 11:38 PM
hey, welcome aboard! That car actually looks pretty decent! Looks better than most cars that old anyway!

Well, you picked a good spot to find info on the cars! Enjoy your stay.

Shark91
12-18-2007, 11:47 PM
update pics as promised, just snaped these a few minutes ago

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture835-1.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture836-1.jpg

Turbodave
12-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Welcome! That's a nice looking car. Silver is a pretty rare color on the Daytonas and that's the first silver Pacifica model I can remember seeing, it looks great!

Shark91
12-19-2007, 12:25 AM
thanks Turbodave, i really realy like working on this car, im basically tinkering with it everyday, but i plan to do alot more body work, the shaved door handles came out great, been thinking about the paint today, and i dont know if i wanna do a 2 tone paint job with silver for the top section and black for the bottom section, what do yall think?

2.216VTurbo
12-19-2007, 02:15 AM
At 16 I had a moped to get around with, then at 17 an orange VW squareback so it's pretty safe to say, you are starting with way cooler rig than I did:o Kind of makes me wonder why the guy parked it, did you get any more of the story?

supercrackerbox
12-19-2007, 02:31 AM
I'd say that looks pretty good for sitting in a field for four years, regardless of what part of the country. Interior looks really good too. And I'll agree with Dave, I don't think I've ever seen a silver Pacifica either. I once had a silver '87 Shelby Z, and I'm still kicking myself for parting it out. One think I might suggest if you're thinking of two-toing it- In '87 they also had a darker gunmetal grey option, which to date I've only seen on one Daytona ever. I don't have my books handy or I'd give you the paint code, but done right I think it'd go well with the Brilliant Silver that's on the car now.

turbovanmanČ
12-19-2007, 03:33 AM
i like the point too, but itll soon be red, with these rims

https://st15.flashecom.com/modbargain/images/Products/Moven_Wheels/rg5black.jpg

Welcome and those wheels are going to look awesome, :love: :thumb:

Shark91
12-19-2007, 03:48 AM
thanks again guys, i actually baught it from my uncle he had a red Shelby Z i think it was that he raced, and he was gonna make this car into turing type car, gutted interior, LS1! rollcage, top of the line everything, but unfortunatly he wrecked his red one goung about 110 and lost entrest in racing got a family and gave up on cars, me on the other hand got it to make it a daily driver that had some balls to it, not just to get me from point A to B quicker, but to show all these ricer/civic punks that mopars still the best, lol

oh and this isnt my first car, this is my second actually, my first was a 1992 Z28 that we got as a fixer-upper for me when i was 15, black exterior, with the special red interior, which was original, 250 shot of the spray, plain old radials, crate 350, open headers, the works, but my dad paid for everything and did all the work on that, im paying for everything and doing all the work on this one

anyways, im gonna pick up Photoshop tommarrow from the store so whip up some paint designs

Clay
12-19-2007, 09:09 AM
At 16 I had a moped to get around with, then at 17 an orange VW squareback so it's pretty safe to say, you are starting with way cooler rig than I did:o Kind of makes me wonder why the guy parked it, did you get any more of the story?

Ummmm Alan........ a squareback is a pretty cool ride ya know? :) (well, at least it is now, back then may have been different)

2.216VTurbo
12-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Ummmm Alan........ a squareback is a pretty cool ride ya know? :) (well, at least it is now, back then may have been different)

Uh yeah Clay, did I mention it was ORANGE and had a roof rack:yuck: ?

Not cool when you are 17 and don't surf although my stoner budies used to like to turn it into a giant smoke chamber. Remember that scene in Fast times a Ridgmount High when Spicolli gets outta his buddies van:D ...

Shark91
12-19-2007, 06:00 PM
i have a small problem

this morning i went out to start my car like i do every morning that its cold, well it started fine and everything, so i cut it off, and took the truck to go down to look at an 01 firebird that was forsale for 4800$ and i was gonna buy it from the guy, byt i decided to wait till tommarow so that i could have someone drive me down there to buy it that way i can drive it back, but anyway, back to the problem

i came home and decided to go get some taco bell, lol and the daytona didnt want to start, im pretty sure i have gas, and it fired up for a few seconds, but when i went to rev it up, it stalled, and i cant get it to fire up again, it just sites there trying to crank over, anyone know what the problem is?

BadAssPerformance
12-19-2007, 06:12 PM
My Dodges always used to act up like that when I would go look at an off-brand cars... I since have not gone to look at any off-brand cars... try it out ;)

Shark91
12-19-2007, 06:17 PM
lol, well ive really been wanting this WS6, and i dont know why it doesnt act up when i drive the truck, wich is a 91 silverado lol

rich tideswell
12-19-2007, 06:42 PM
hey guys, been to this site a few times and decided to register, anyways, i turned 16 in march and got my 87 2.2 Daytona and i love it, not so pretty on the outside considering it sat in a feild or about 4 years before i bought it, and what amazes me, i drained the old gas, and put fresh in, and it started right up! oh and i almost forgot, only gave $300 for her :thumb:

and my $400 set of rubers

Nice deal :thumb:

My first car was a 1988 Daytona that I bought in 1997 just before I turned 16. It had a 2.5L, louvers, missing A/C, and front collision damage. Paid $200, fixed it, wrecked it, fixed it some more, drove it for 5 years and sold it for $1300.

rich tideswell
12-19-2007, 06:49 PM
i have a small problem

the daytona didnt want to start, im pretty sure i have gas, and it fired up for a few seconds, but when i went to rev it up, it stalled, and i cant get it to fire up again, it just sites there trying to crank over, anyone know what the problem is?

I had a similar problem with my '88 Dayotna. Would die on intial start -up when it was cold out, but once warm was fine. Changed coolant temp sensor, TPS, AIC, etc.... even the throttle body. Still didn't fix it. so every cold morning I started it I had to keep my foot on the gas until it warmed up a little. never did fix the problem and sold it that way.

Probably wiring but I never fixured it out...

Also, the distributor Hall effect came apart on me too. Would crank but no spark condition

Shark91
12-19-2007, 06:58 PM
hmm, maybe ill just sell this one when its all done, and get a shelby or something, anybody want a daytona for $900 lol

2.2turboscotty
12-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Welcome aboard to TM, don't give up on that car just yet! it is probably something simple, have you checked for spark yet? you need to cover the basics first, spark and fuel before going any further. looks like you have a good car to work with so forget the others and work with what you got, it will as fast as you make it! don't sell it , MAKE IT FAST AND YOU'LL LOVE IT! we can help you but we need more info.

Shark91
12-19-2007, 11:21 PM
its a real handfull guys, its simple stuff but ive been looking into either cheating and putting it in the shop and get the basics, like breaks, susp. motor, and tranny work, done or..... just do the breaks and susp. myself, and just drop a SRT4 motor in it, or at least try, im sure itll work, its pretty bad, parts missing from the engine bay, just something that needs some money put into it, but with a job that pays $800 every 2 weeks, its kinda hard to do the things i want to it

TurboRon25
12-20-2007, 12:18 AM
One think I might suggest if you're thinking of two-toing it- In '87 they also had a darker gunmetal grey option, which to date I've only seen on one Daytona ever. I don't have my books handy or I'd give you the paint code, but done right I think it'd go well with the Brilliant Silver that's on the car now.

FS8 - Charcoal Pearl Coat :thumb:

Ron

BadAssPerformance
12-20-2007, 12:33 AM
http://www.sdac-chicago.org/members/ron-murnieks-87-daytonax.jpg

supercrackerbox
12-20-2007, 01:58 AM
Ok, make that two that I've seen in that color now. The first one was a Florida car on Ebay two years ago. I literally spent 4 hours looking at photos of that car.

But as for the starting problem, I'm not entirely sure. Best thing to start with I'd say is when you first turn the key to 'on' (not start), listen and see if you hear the fuel pump kick on.

Shark91
12-20-2007, 02:32 AM
yea, i do that anyways, and it does, i mean, i am geting fuel, i just dont know why it wont start, the only things i can think of are

(a) the spark plugs are done
(b) spark plug wires are messed up
(c) its cursed
(d) well...i dont have anything else

Shark91
12-20-2007, 03:09 AM
ok, well, i have made up my mind, i am damned determined to get this car started and running tommarrow lol, ive also been thinking of getting a dynomaxx 3in mufler, and running a have exahust, and have it stop right in front of the rear susp. i like my cars loud, so with this setup, it should be just right, not too loud, but not too quiet

2.2turboscotty
12-20-2007, 08:40 AM
Pull two plugs and spin the motor over and see if you have spark. if you do then look at fuel pressure, then go from there. forgot to mention, check for codes and see if you have any. if the car has been sitting i would'nt doubt the fuel pump could be bad even if you hear it, it may not be giving good pressure. sometimes electronics go bad when sitting for that long, so don't rule anything out yet, did you say "things are missing from the engine bay"? might want to see what's missing too. do those couple of tests and get back with results. like i said before, something simple i'm sure.

rich tideswell
12-20-2007, 10:18 AM
yea, i do that anyways, and it does, i mean, i am geting fuel, i just dont know why it wont start, the only things i can think of are

(a) the spark plugs are done
(b) spark plug wires are messed up
(c) its cursed
(d) well...i dont have anything else

It's defonatly "C"

Shark91
12-20-2007, 11:12 AM
the fuel ump isnt bad, cause its been replaced, but ill look at it some more later today

mcsvt
12-20-2007, 11:36 AM
If your getting a fuel prime with the key turned on, then most likely your missing spark. Make sure the rotor in the distributor is turning (when you crank the engine), then check a plug or two for spark like was mentioned. No spark, check the HEP. Then report back :)

Also as a warning, if you've been trying to start it a lot and you are getting fuel but no fire, you could be washing down the oil with fuel which is no good for bearings. I'd change the oil when you get it figured out to be safe.

cordes
12-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. This will clear the codes. Try to fire it back up, and if it does not start pull the codes. It will throw a code which indicates that the ECU has never seen the HEP if it is bad. That is the quickest way to test it. This is also the first thing I would do if I were you.

Turbodave
12-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. This will clear the codes. Try to fire it back up, and if it does not start pull the codes. It will throw a code which indicates that the ECU has never seen the HEP if it is bad. That is the quickest way to test it. This is also the first thing I would do if I were you.

Yep, code 11 is the one that Cordes is talking about.

2.216VTurbo
12-20-2007, 12:55 PM
the fuel ump isnt bad, cause its been replaced, but ill look at it some more later today

You may have replaced the pump but that car sat in a field for 3+ years right? Fuel tanks can get a layer of 'goo' settling to the bottom after a few years. The goo plugs up the filter over and over again. Did the tank come out and get cleaned out when you did the pump? I'd check fuel pressure as well as spark like mentioned.

Shark91
12-20-2007, 01:28 PM
were to i see these codes at?

Shark91
12-20-2007, 01:39 PM
ok, i just got back in from screwing with it, i disconected the - terminal, checked all four spark plungs, and i then realized i am totally screwd :(

when i pulled the spark plugs, all 4 were covered in oil, as if someone dropped it in a bucket of oil, and that deffinatly cannot be good!

stereo
12-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Turn the key to the on position three times then leave it there. The power loss or check engine light will flash and give you a number, like flash pause flash flash pause flash flash flash flash flash pause flash flash flash flash flash, that would be a code 12(batteries been disconnected) and 55(end code sequence). then just look in an FSM if you have one or go to minimopar.knizefamily.net and look up the codes it gives you. The 2 above are the only ones you should get if the computer sees nothing wrong.

stereo
12-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Yeah, that sucks. I would guess you blew the head gasket, but that's a big blow only on a start up.

Shark91
12-20-2007, 05:48 PM
yea, well the other night i started it, and i heard a loud pop, could that have been the gasket?

and how can i get the oil out of there?

JonsGottaDusta
12-20-2007, 11:26 PM
wow, this is intense....

stereo
12-21-2007, 02:36 AM
There's only one way to get the oil out and that's taking the head off. Luckily you'll have to in order to do a new headgasket, valve seals, rings, or whatever happened to it. So a loud pop you say. I've never blown a headgasket, so I don't know what kinda noise it would make, but that's the only thing that I can think of that would cause major oil in all four cylinders. I'd wait and get some info from some of the more expirienced guys on here and see what they say. The good thing is if that's the problem then it can be a cheap fix. Just get a mopar headgasket and a set of head bolts, with shipping it'd come out to under $60.

Shark91
12-21-2007, 03:16 AM
thanks, yea, and after it popped it ran fine for a few, then i was on the highway going to the GFs house and i went to pass this truck and you know i gave it alittle more gas and as it revved passing the truck, it started to jerk, like it was dyeing, or i used the word "choking" i thought it was a vacum leak but i can find one anywear at all

supercrackerbox
12-21-2007, 03:23 AM
All in all, I usually spend around $100 to r&r a cylinder head by the time you get into all the gaskets, fluids, bolts, plugs, and whatever else pops up along the way.

Turbodave
12-21-2007, 12:51 PM
I've never physically heard a head gasket blow, so that would be a first. Also the oil on all 4 plugs is not consistant with a blown headgasket. The gasket would have to blow between an oil passage and the combustion chamber on each of the 4 cylinders for this to happen. And while not impossible, that is an extremely unlikely scenario.

I would be more concerned about possible issues with the turbo or PCV system allowing oil into the intake, those problems would result in oil on all four plugs like you are experiencing.

As far as cleaning all the oil out, crank the engine a few times with the plugs out and it will blow out most of the excess oil, then put in new plugs and let it run for a while, it should burn the oil off. Then it's a matter of determining what is causing the oil.

Since you said there were things missing under the hood some pictures may help us diagnose what's right and wrong with it. I recommend starting a new thread in the "help" section with that for the best exposure.

Shark91
12-21-2007, 02:04 PM
thanks guys, i ran out after reading your post Dave, and there is oil in the littile section of the air filter box that the PCV hose runs into, what could be causeing this?

cordes
12-21-2007, 02:46 PM
thanks guys, i ran out after reading your post Dave, and there is oil in the littile section of the air filter box that the PCV hose runs into, what could be causeing this?

blowby. Perhaps the rings are really worn, or as previously mentioned the PCV system is not up to par. I would do a compression test and check over the PCV.

Shark91
12-21-2007, 04:15 PM
ok, well i have no clue how to do a compression test, lol so idk what your talking about

and tommarrow im gonna order a new head, cause mine is warped, and new muffler, gonna get some spark plugs, and im gonna setup a cold air intake, so ill ill have pics up as soon as i get the parts

GLHSKEN
12-21-2007, 04:22 PM
ok, well i have no clue how to do a compression test, lol so idk what your talking about

and tommarrow im gonna order a new head, cause mine is warped, and new muffler, gonna get some spark plugs, and im gonna setup a cold air intake, so ill ill have pics up as soon as i get the parts

The car does not need any mods to the intake until past 275 whp...

Turbodave
12-21-2007, 04:26 PM

A little oil in there is pretty normal and nothing to be alarmed about. The concern is if the PCV valve wasn't hooked in properly it could be allowing a lot of blowby and causing oil in the cylinders as a result.

I didn't realize you already pulled the head off the car? If so it's too late for a compression test.

A compression test is done by screwing a compression gauge (available at most parts stores) into the spark plug hole. With the other plugs removed and the throttle held open the engine is cranked over for a couple revolutions. The gauge reads the pressure in the cylinder and the pressure achieved on all 4 cylinders is compared. Typically a healthy 2.2turbo will have compression numbers around 110-150psi per cylinder. What is most important is that the numbers are consistant between all 4 cylinders. one low cylinder could indicate a failed headgasket, piston, rings etc.. Anyhow a compression check is a very useful troubleshooting tool.

I recommend taking the time to understand how the car works and to really get down into the diagnosis of failures before throwing parts at the car, you'll find it saves you money and results in a more reliable car in the long run because you can confirm that problems are fixed. Plus you get to learn a few things along the way. Feel free to post any questions you've got here and we'll be happy to help you out.

Shark91
12-21-2007, 04:51 PM
ok, one question i have, is if i do get an muffler, what sounds the best to yall, i dont car about droning or anything, i jsut like my cars to have a loud muscle car sound, so really what im asking, is what muffler provides i nice muscular sound but is under or around 70-80 bux

Turbodave
12-21-2007, 04:57 PM
My personal favorites for Mufflers are the Dynomax Ultraflow welded oval ones, or the Magnaflow equivalents. Both are straight thruough mufflers that flow nicely and should fall within your budget. The turbo really cuts a lot of the noise back, so even with a low restriction muffler the car will still be pretty quiet.

Shark91
12-21-2007, 06:47 PM
well as i was cleaning everything, i noticed the t-stat housing was cracked, i thought "no big deal, ill just get one for FWDPerformance" well, i found out that not only was it cracked, the lower bolt that holds in on was broke of inside the hole, crap...

anyone know an easy way of getting a sheared bold out?

turbokid
12-21-2007, 07:29 PM
use an easy out... get the good ones cause the cheap ones break out in the block. My gtc had the same problem...

Shark91
12-21-2007, 07:46 PM
so im guessing i can get this at an autoparts store?

cordes
12-21-2007, 09:16 PM
so im guessing i can get this at an autoparts store?

Or hardware store, sears etc. I think that their name is the most misleading term for any tool though. Most of the time I have to drill them out and then tap the hole.

stereo
12-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Well if the pvc was leaking there would also be lots of oil in the air box. Did you check the turbo. Make sure there's no oil in the intercooler and check the shaft play. And as far as the blown headgasket. Yes it is extremly rare to have one blow like that. But if there were big enough cracks between the cylinders it could be possible. Did you notice anything like that at all on the head or the gasket. Also was it smoking at all at any given time.

Shark91
12-22-2007, 01:09 AM
no smoke at all, and its too late to check all of that tonight, but i will first thing in the morn, im sure theres a leak in the PCV system, the turbo is brand spankin new, so is the intercooler, so im sure its the PCV system

TopDollar69
12-22-2007, 12:23 PM
An 87 Turbo 1 car does not have an intercooler.

Shark91
12-22-2007, 01:16 PM
well if its something i put on it does! lol got it from a friend, but im going to take it off, dont really need it

TopDollar69
12-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Let us know all the things you have done or changed since you got the car, that will help with figuring out what your problem is.

Shark91
12-23-2007, 12:34 AM
nevermind guys, i got it figured out, it was the PCV, it had a small leak, so woohoo! but i already orderd $250 worth of stuff for it, so i guess ill be tearing it all apart again when i get those, lol

thanks a million for all the help guys, im deffinatly hooked on turbo dodges, and hooked on this site!

BadAssPerformance
12-23-2007, 04:16 AM
Glad you got it figured out Shark91! :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
12-23-2007, 05:12 AM
well if its something i put on it does! lol got it from a friend, but im going to take it off, dont really need it

Why don't you need an IC? :confused:

Shark91
12-23-2007, 02:30 PM
lol, just felt like putting it on, one of those "im bored" things, but i went ahead and pulled it out

ShadowFromHell
12-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Did you install it before the turbo? Installing a intercooler on a T1 log car isnt a easy job...

TopDollar69
12-23-2007, 10:51 PM
I was thinking the same thing, infact it's almost impossible.

Shark91
12-23-2007, 11:56 PM
before, yes is that what was messing it up?

TurboII
12-24-2007, 01:08 AM
That is one bad looking daytona. Ive always had a soft heart for daytonas been meaning to get one for some time but t-top. Daytonas are chick magnets so awesome score. same thing happened to me when you said you heard a pop thats what happens when the gasket goes bad on all four cylinders. When i pulled off my head i say puddles in all four cylinders and the gasket went in between the fire ring, i found it gets brittle. if you haven't put the head back on take a very good look at the head and make sure you have know cracks and what not. I noticed hair line cracks on the cylinder head valve surface....if i said that right.

Joey

supercrackerbox
12-24-2007, 06:43 AM
before, yes is that what was messing it up?

Well it's absolutely pointless for starters . . .

An intercooler's purpose is to cool the air that has been heated by the compression and radiant heat of a turbocharger, meaning it has to be between the turbocharger and the intake to serve its purpose. On a log intake system like yours, you have approximately 2.5" between the turbo and the intake, meaning the only way to intercool it would be to either track down one of the old Direct Connection kits, modify the intake, or do a TII (intercooled) conversion.

www.thedodgegarage.com

Shark91
12-29-2007, 11:59 PM
well guys, ive been away for a few days cause i didnt have internet, but the daytona is at its worst

to make a long story short i am now missing half my engine and a rod, lost it going down I-35, definatly not cool :(

oh does anyone know if a SRT-4 motor will fit in my daytona

roachjuice
12-30-2007, 06:37 AM
well guys, ive been away for a few days cause i didnt have internet, but the daytona is at its worst

to make a long story short i am now missing half my engine and a rod, lost it going down I-35, definatly not cool :(

yea it will but if you need an engine i might have one after the 1st of the year that i would let go cheap.:thumb: btw i'm in tulsa,ok.:) while your at it t2 swap it.

supercrackerbox
12-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Yeah, an SRT4 engine will fit, but it's not exactly a bolt in deal. Lots of fabrication will be needed.

Shark91
12-30-2007, 02:07 PM
crap, what can a get that will just bolt in, or were can i get a new original engine, cause, this one isnt worth trying to save

roachjuice
12-30-2007, 05:35 PM
crap, what can a get that will just bolt in, or were can i get a new original engine, cause, this one isnt worth trying to save

i will have an extra 8 valve motor after the 1st of the year. :thumb:

Shark91
12-30-2007, 05:49 PM
and it will be a direct fit? and how much are you asking?

Shark91
12-30-2007, 10:38 PM
well decided to pull some parts from my uncles parts car, and started to put it all back togather, i would use the valve cover from his too, but its warped, so ill just wait till i get my stuff from FWDperformance, placed my order on the 23rd and it still hasnt shipped, but im sure ill get it soon

but here are some pics

warped valve cover, and new muffler

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/100_2279.jpg

so far so good

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/100_2277.jpg

Shark91
01-01-2008, 12:59 PM
guys, i got a quick question, i heard about this thing called a grainger valve, or something like that, my friend told me he had one on his car and it made it alot faster

so my question is, were can i get one, and what does it do for the car?

Directconnection
01-01-2008, 01:53 PM
guys, i got a quick question, i heard about this thing called a grainger valve, or something like that, my friend told me he had one on his car and it made it alot faster

so my question is, were can i get one, and what does it do for the car?

It allows you to over-ride the factory's computer boost control and run any amount of boost you wish. But, I advise you to research on this before just going at it. The 2-bar stock MAP reads up to around 14.7psi boost before cutting out. If you manipulate the MAP sensor so it can't read over that 14.7psi cutout (making it blind to what's actually happening) the computer won't cut out and the engine will keep going as the computer is thinking you are running just below that 14.7 psi cutout. So...say you set the G-valve to 16 or 18 psi, you will only be getting enough fuel from the computer to run at 14.7 psi. It will go lean in most cases and melt pistons. Also, if not intercooled at 14.7psi *may* be an issue especially on 87 octane.

Read www.thedodgegarage.com

Gary Donovan has it all covered on his site for you.

Warped valve cover...I never heard of that. I am sure they all have a warp of some form, even new as they are cast like that and not machined, i wouldn't worry about a warped valve cover.

I didn't read this thread past page 1 so I am not sure what is wrong with your engine, as well.

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2008, 04:11 PM

That sucks, :(

We have a section on 16 valve swaps, all the info is covered in there.

The chances of finding a NEW old engine is close to zero, I would either get a reman, or buy a old engine and rebuild it yourself, or find a good used one, which is getting harder and harder to find.

Shark91
01-01-2008, 07:43 PM
thanks for the info guys, im gonna hold off on the g-valve, and the motor, well im gonna rebild this one with parts from my uncles parts car, and if that doesnt work, ill just look at doing a 16v swap

few more questions

what is a reman motor
were can i find one
and how much do they cost?

rich tideswell
01-01-2008, 08:04 PM
what is a reman motor?

a remanufacture engine is an engine that has been overhauled to like new performance. these have lots of new parts such as pistons and rings and bearings and have had all machine work done to them such as over boreing and honing and crank journal alignment.

were can i find one?

most auto part stores such as auto zone can order them for you, or a local rebuilder (look through your yellow pages)

how much do they cost?

about $1200-$1500 puls a core charge for your old engine....which you'll prolly have to eat as yours is now only good for a paper weight.

*On a personal note, this is an excelent opertunity for you to learn. I encourage you to rebuild an engine for yourself to gian the knowledge and experince as opposed to going out and paying for an engine already done for you. Plus you can save some cash in doing the labor yourself

Shark91
01-01-2008, 08:36 PM
awsome, thanks guys, m about half way done with this rebuild, just wish i would have taken pictures along the way, now i just need to get my stuff from FWDperformance, how long do they take to9 prcess my order, i placed my order on the 23rd of this past month and it still says the my order is "awaiting shippment"

turbovanmanČ
01-02-2008, 01:00 AM
awsome, thanks guys, m about half way done with this rebuild, just wish i would have taken pictures along the way, now i just need to get my stuff from FWDperformance, how long do they take to9 prcess my order, i placed my order on the 23rd of this past month and it still says the my order is "awaiting shippment"

Well dont' forget, Christmas and New Years slows everything down. ;)

For rebuilding, it is a good lesson but for some, its just not for them. Its a good time to do a little blueprinting, balancing, install forged pistons etc and do things most remans don't do. Good luck and as always, ask questions, no matter how stupid you might think they are, it could save you an engine, ;)

Shark91
01-04-2008, 11:05 PM
super good news guys, my parts for the rest of the engine re-build will be here tommarrow! i cant wait to get htis thing done and running again

BadAssPerformance
01-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Good news :thumb:

Shark91
01-05-2008, 12:15 AM
yup, ill have pics up on Monday, ill be out of town for a rock-crawling competition this weekend

Shark91
01-19-2008, 10:30 PM
sorry i havent been on guys, been kinda busy with a few things, but here are a few pics, let me know what you think

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/100_2332.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/100_2343.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/100_2346.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/100_2347.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/100_2348.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/100_2349.jpg

Shark91
01-21-2008, 01:56 AM
guys, i need alittle help here, i have $400 to spend on the car, and i dont know what to buy, any sudgestions?

turbovanmanČ
01-21-2008, 02:52 AM
The list is endless.

What are you aiming for? what have you done to the car?

I would suggest a T1 conversion, poly mounts, poly suspension bushings, exhaust work, guages, brakes, tires, ball joints, etc, :eyebrows:

Shark91
01-21-2008, 03:25 AM
lol, right now im going for a sleeper but come march itll be a full blown drag car, gutted interior, slicks, rollcage, the works, and all i have done is whats pictured in the pics above

rich tideswell
01-21-2008, 12:30 PM
guys, i need alittle help here, i have $400 to spend on the car, and i dont know what to buy, any sudgestions?

Polyurathane motor mounts. You can buy them now or you can buy them later...either way...you WILL be buying them....

2.2turboscotty
01-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Polyurathane motor mounts. You can buy them now or you can buy them later...either way...you WILL be buying them....

put your money here just like Rich said, the stockers are weak

Shark91
01-21-2008, 02:03 PM
ok cool, thanks guys, so any comments on the pics above, does it look to ricey or streetracer-ish

TopDollar69
01-21-2008, 04:06 PM
I think it looks good. I also think a 2.5 inch exhaust system is a great first step.

supercrackerbox
01-22-2008, 01:35 AM
But if you're really planning on pushing the car, might as well go 3".

cordes
01-22-2008, 09:53 PM
+1 for a good 3" exhaust. I would also splurge and spend a couple bucks at the hardware store for some decent looking bolts to hold that new T-stat housing on. ;)

Shark91
02-01-2008, 01:46 PM
well, got some more done, motor and tranny work is done, and got the new motor mounts put on, let me know what you think

Weight reduction! lol

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture993.jpg

motor and tranny work done

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j101/CRUSHER_01/Picture994.jpg

cordes
02-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Looks pretty decent. If that filter is one of the cheapo parts store jobs watch out that you don't suck it into the TB.

supercrackerbox
02-02-2008, 01:59 AM
If you end up completely removing the interior, I'll buy that rear hatch panel from you.

Shark91
02-02-2008, 03:44 AM
i do plan on tearing everything out except the dash, and then im putting a rollcage it it along with a fuel cell, just to make things light