PDA

View Full Version : Ported Cylinder Heads !!

tvanlant
12-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Hey Everyone,
After over a year of providing heads to the TM community, I have finally become reasonably "caught up" on cylinder heads. :)

I was in need of a good website to show pictures, prices, and info, and thanks to Frank, I now have a good, turbo-mopar hosted site. You can check it out here:

http://tyler.turbo-mopar.com

Let me know if there is anything I had left out or that you have questions about.

Also, I am trying to offer as many options as possible for these cylinder heads. If you have any suggestions, feel free to ask and I will see what I can do for providing that particular part or service.

Before, I was only doing the big valve heads for special occasions. Due to a surprising amount of interest, I have added the big valve head as an option. Because it is pretty new, prices may come down over the next few months as I source more/better parts for this option. I will also be doing some more extensive flow bench testing with these valves.

I have a few heads spoken for right now, but I still have several good 782 and G head castings available for those who don't have a casting to provide.

Check out the new site and let me know what you think!!
Don't hesitate to PM me or post with whatever questions you have.

Thanks for looking,
Tyler

turbovanmanČ
12-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Any TIII options?

1FastCSX289
12-18-2007, 03:33 PM
The site looks great. Those are some really nice advertised flow increases and VERY reasonable prices. I wish you were doing heads when I was looking for one.

tvanlant
12-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks

No TIII options yet. I'm not sure how much demand there would be for them.
I had offered the 2.0 DOHC head a while back, but there were very few people interested, even though there were very nice flow gains and the price was very modest.

Turbodave
12-18-2007, 03:44 PM
PM Sent! Also, will mention your services to buddy building a 2.4 for his neon..

devlish
12-18-2007, 04:04 PM
wow. very nice. when i put that g-head on my omni.. i'll have to ship it off to you first!! nice website and good pricing. thanks for the hard work!!

90Dodgevnt
12-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Ya, Tyler's work is VERY reasonable and looks even better in person.:thumb:

mcsvt
12-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Yup Tyler was great to deal with in getting my swirl head done. :thumb:

I'd consider trading for a big valve head though :eyebrows: Bigger is better right :)

Nice site Tyler, much better then having me email you with tons of questions.

crazymadbastard
12-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Your work looks meticulous! I am also glad you share pictures and your prices are extremely low. :thumb:

What is your turnaround time for a swirlhead?

BadAssPerformance
12-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Nice looking work :thumb:

tvanlant
12-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all the good comments, guys.

I have an "unclaimed" head in the for sale section right now.

If you're interested, take a look!
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=250788#post250788

Thanks

johnl
12-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Tyler ported and assembled a head for me. He was most helpful with the various decisions and accomodating with regard to my preferences.

I am VERY happy with his work; I will use him again, and I recommend him to anyone.

moparzrule
12-29-2007, 08:16 AM
I recommend tyler's work atleast once a week because people ask me all the time if I port heads too. He's the best deal around. This is one time where you don't get what you pay for, and thats a good thing! You get a great flowing head for a bargain!
On a side note, tyler do you port intake manifolds? I get requests all the time for intakes too, I do my own but I hate every second of it LOL. So I need someone to refer to that does intakes.

tvanlant
12-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks John, you were great to deal with :thumb:

Thanks for sending them my way, Matt. I get several people who say you sent them... so they must be listening to you!

I feel the same way about doing intakes as you do.... that is why I usually try to pawn them off on YOU, lol! :p

moparzrule
12-29-2007, 03:54 PM
LMAO, thanks a lot good buddy :p :D

slasky
12-29-2007, 04:06 PM
What would be the total price for porting a G head and adding big valves? What else would you recommend?

moparzrule
12-29-2007, 04:10 PM
All the prices are listed on the link to the site that he gave. All you need to do is add up all that you want done to it!

here-
http://tyler.turbo-mopar.com/price.html

slasky
12-29-2007, 04:14 PM
I am not sure if some of the items are for one or for the whole head. I am also not sure what would need to be replaced when going to a big valve head.

moparzrule
12-29-2007, 04:31 PM
He gives totals.
$80-head
$230-port work
$215-valve job
$76 x 2-valves
springs- ? your choice (061's recommended- $78)
$20-hardened locks (recommended)
$80 valve seats
$56 -surface cut (recommended)

Thats $911 + shipping there. Not bad for a head that flows 50% better than stock.
Thats the mandatory stuff, (besides the locks and surfacing, but HIGHLY recommended) but you could also add the moly retainers or the PT lifters if you want. And also deduct $20 if you are using your own cam/lifter/followers.

tvanlant
12-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Dang Matt... I should hire you as my business man!

Slasky, thanks for pointing out stuff you don't understand. I will try to update it with "per unit" or "per set" to make it more reader-friendly.

Prices for both 782 and G heads will be the same.

Matt has it pretty much covered, but it really depends on your intent for the head. Most people who are going to spend that much on a head usually like to add in some bronze guides, just for safety, so you may want to look into that. I punch the material around the guides on all the heads, which should help hold the guide, but you can't ever be too safe.

If you have any other questions or are unsure about anything, don't hesitate to ask or point it out to me!

moparzrule
12-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Dang Matt... I should hire you as my business man!

How much you payin? :p

slasky
12-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks. That does sound like a good deal. It looks like I will have to start saving up. I already have a custom intake from Russ Jerome, my TU cast header has already been ordered, and I am already running my super 70 turbo. So the last piece of the puzzle to put me well into the 11s is a good flowing head. What would be better for my set up, a swirl or G head? I am running a 2.5 in an L body with a 555 and the above new parts.

moparzrule
12-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Although I am a G head buff, I would go with a swirl with a 2.5. I used to have a 2.2 G head and had great success. But this 2.5 G head has been nothing but a PITA. I started doing my own cal's and can't find anything within the cal that keeps high boost high RPM EGT's in check. I'm hitting 1700 by 6000 RPM with 22 PSI right now, plenty of fuel and maxxed out advance on the timing. I just got an adjustable cam gear, it's the only thing left to try! Otherwise, I might go back to a swirl head myself....atleast I know how to get one from! LOL

tvanlant
12-29-2007, 07:07 PM
The G head vs swirl head will go on forever. It is a matter of preference. I like the swirl head, and I think most do. There are a lot of people going fast with both heads.

moparzrule
12-29-2007, 07:32 PM
I was only saying it seems like with a 2.5 L and a G head the EGT's are very hard and/or impossible to get under control. Also, the compression is so low (mine is about 6.9:1), being this cold out it doesn't run on all 4 cylinders and/or very rough for like 30 seconds to a minute. I'm just glad it isn't my DD.

omni_840
01-05-2008, 01:03 AM
I was checking out your website and I agree with everyone's comments

My question is do you reccommend a certain setup for specific gains (i.e. 300 whp, etc) I realize the more power the more flow needed, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

clarkwhoracing
01-05-2008, 08:27 AM
He gives totals.
$80-head
$230-port work
$215-valve job
$76 x 2-valves
springs- ? your choice (061's recommended- $78)
$20-hardened locks (recommended)
$80 valve seats
$56 -surface cut (recommended)

Thats $911 + shipping there. Not bad for a head that flows 50% better than stock.
Thats the mandatory stuff, (besides the locks and surfacing, but HIGHLY recommended) but you could also add the moly retainers or the PT lifters if you want. And also deduct $20 if you are using your own cam/lifter/followers.

I bought the one he had that was done for someone that went with the bigger valve option.

All I can say the deal I got was untouchable by the other vendors out there and more was done to it than they do. I can also guarantee I will be getting it definitely in a timelier manner than from the other vendors.

Hope to get it in a few days and I will fill all in on what I think.

Thanks again Tyler for a great deal and hope this helps me get into the 13's with everything else I am doing.

:rockon:

tvanlant
01-06-2008, 07:31 PM
I was checking out your website and I agree with everyone's comments

My question is do you reccommend a certain setup for specific gains (i.e. 300 whp, etc) I realize the more power the more flow needed, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I usually recommend what head to use based upon the combination of parts in the build. A +1mm head would be a bit overkill if you were going to be using a stock turbo, stock intercooler, and stock exhaust. A big valve head would obvisouly be extreme overkill. If you are interested, send me a list of what you have done to your engine, and what you are trying to achieve as far as horsepower and 1/4 mile, and we can go over which head would be best for your application.

tvanlant
01-06-2008, 07:32 PM
I bought the one he had that was done for someone that went with the bigger valve option.

All I can say the deal I got was untouchable by the other vendors out there and more was done to it than they do. I can also guarantee I will be getting it definitely in a timelier manner than from the other vendors.

Hope to get it in a few days and I will fill all in on what I think.

Thanks again Tyler for a great deal and hope this helps me get into the 13's with everything else I am doing.

:rockon:

Thanks Mike. 13s will be easy :thumb: I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

clarkwhoracing
01-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Tyler - where is the answer to my pm - I know you got it.

Contact me back tonight.

tvanlant
01-08-2008, 07:57 PM
PM sent before you posted this.

omni_840
01-08-2008, 09:25 PM
I usually recommend what head to use based upon the combination of parts in the build. A +1mm head would be a bit overkill if you were going to be using a stock turbo, stock intercooler, and stock exhaust. A big valve head would obvisouly be extreme overkill. If you are interested, send me a list of what you have done to your engine, and what you are trying to achieve as far as horsepower and 1/4 mile, and we can go over which head would be best for your application.

Thank you for your reply:thumb:

What is the price difference if you supply the head?

Thanks again

tvanlant
01-08-2008, 09:31 PM
My price for a head is $60. For $80, you get the head, rockers, lifters, and a roller camshaft.
However, if you want to use one of my heads, the wait will be quite a bit longer than if you were to supply me with a head, since I don't have many heads on hand and have to continuously go get more.
I may have to end up charging more for castings in the future since hardly anyone is sending me their heads. I don't mind charging what I do for the castings, but I just don't have time to be going to get heads, cleaning them, and checking them all the time. :(

The Pope
01-09-2008, 04:07 AM
Thought you were doing it on the side lol? Finding good big valves is tough, seats were easy. Really using a big valve head is a ton of trouble too, making the manifolds flow what a big valve head flows is a joke. Your stock valve head would be really a big improvement on even a stock car, even an improvement on a TBI in a big way. One thing to add is maybe selling a new casting $200. Most all heads I come accross used are cracked and the bolts holes are hammered. Porting is great, it doesn't ware out and doesn't break, about the best mod you can do. But the heads do go bad. Food for thought, a new casting thats ported will be around a long time doing the job. My big valve head has been milled, heli coiled on the exhaust and intake bolt holes and now needs coils in the valve cover bolt holes. You can't polish a turd but you can port one lol.

I've ported heads a long time, so I know what to look at when I look at some ones work. Where the heads are cut and that the ports are all cut the same. The port shape and how clean it is done. The little details all add up pretty fast. I have also looked at heads from people that have been talked up on the net for years, that look a lot worse lol. One of these days people are going to figure out what to look for, then you'll need to put people on a 2 year waiting list as much as you charge. There is always room for a guy doing nice head work on TDs, hope you stick around!

contraption22
01-10-2008, 07:20 PM
I don't think you can get new castings anymore, except for the Chinese castings, which are at best questionable in quality.