PDA

View Full Version : wastegate actuators

turbomopar87
12-21-2005, 08:58 PM
is there any difference in stock TI vsTII wastegate actuators? Would the TII off my shelby Z withstand more boost then the one on my TI laser or the TI Turbo Z?

If not its up for grabs...TII Shelby Z wastegate actuator in good condition, think it might have been replaced before i got the car when the turbo was rebuilt.

Tony Hanna
12-21-2005, 11:17 PM
Gary says the TI garrett cans will hold up to 25 psi, so even if it could be made to fit, I'd guess the large (89+) TII can wouldn't be much of an upgrade and the earlier small can would be a step backward since they'll only hold around 14 psi.
HTH,
Tony

cordes
12-21-2005, 11:58 PM
I agree that going to a small can from a large on is not going to do anything for you.

However if you are hard up you can shim the small can to hold atleast 22PSI.

Tony Hanna
12-22-2005, 12:41 AM
Shimming the can works like a champ.:thumb:
I used that method to see over 20 psi out of a TI mitsu some time ago and out of a TII Garrett more recently. The main thing to take into consideration when shimming the can is that your minimum boost will increase too.
So, if you're using a switchable boost control, and have the w/g can shimmed quite a bit to achieve your high boost target, your low boost setting may be higher than desired.
I ran into this trying to run 30 psi on my high setting while staying under 14 on the low setting to keep my alky injection system off during normal driving.
The small can wouldn't pull it off. By the time I got the can shimmed enough to get near my target high boost, it would creep really bad on low boost.
Just some food for thought.
Tony

cordes
12-22-2005, 12:53 AM
Shimming the can works like a champ.:thumb:
I used that method to see over 20 psi out of a TI mitsu some time ago and out of a TII Garrett more recently. The main thing to take into consideration when shimming the can is that your minimum boost will increase too.
So, if you're using a switchable boost control, and have the w/g can shimmed quite a bit to achieve your high boost target, your low boost setting may be higher than desired.
I ran into this trying to run 30 psi on my high setting while staying under 14 on the low setting to keep my alky injection system off during normal driving.
The small can wouldn't pull it off. By the time I got the can shimmed enough to get near my target high boost, it would creep really bad on low boost.
Just some food for thought.
Tony

Over 20PSI out of a mitsu dang that must be some hot boost. That is the most I have heard of out of one.

Tony Hanna
12-22-2005, 01:32 AM
Yeah, it was my first TD experience. I managed 23psi through a 1g DSM cooler with a modified (drilled tip) cold start injector for additional fuel and a zener to bypass cutout.
I think it was a combination of the time of year (cold damp weather) and the fact that the DSM coolers flow so well that let it go that high. I ended up going to a stock cooler after that to make for a cleaner install and could only manage 18 psi.
Tony

turbomopar87
12-22-2005, 02:50 AM
thanks guys. I guess if anyone whants that TII can they can have it. I think it was put on new when the turbo wes rebuilt, so thats only 6K miles on it. $25 shipped to US

the only reasone i wondered was b/c my 86 laser is just sitting there, and i need to rids of it. I am planning on getting the most power for free, then taking it for a few joyrides till it blows, lol. the more boost i make the better:thumb:

if anyone wants the car they can have it cheap. has no interior installed... auto TI laser XT

turbomopar87
12-22-2005, 02:52 AM
also...how much should i shim up too? I dont care if the car blows...but i want more then an hour outta it.

Tony Hanna
12-22-2005, 03:19 AM
Without an intercooler, I wouldn't shoot for much more than 12-14.
The problem with pushing the boost too high without an intercooler and the fuel to support it is it's not even going to give you an hour. It'll be torched in a second. Aside from that, the computer is going to shut you down around 14 psi anyway. There are ways around that, but the quick blow up you'd get without an intercooler and extra fuel would make it pointless.
Why not just sell the car or if it's too bad, sell parts and use the money to do it right with the other one?
Tony

turbomopar87
12-22-2005, 01:17 PM
i basically bought this car b/c i wanted the nice black interior for my shelby. other then that its a complete rustbucket. The motor runs strong, but i have a complete TI motor in my shed already. I have been trying to sell this car as is since october and every one thats been interested is 500+ miles away. It sits with no interior, but i have one for it.
Since my dad wants in out of his yard when spring rolls around, me and my buddy are going to strip it down and sell any parts that i take off, then have a little fun with it. the tranny is bad already, its just not an everyday driver, its a junk car with a good motor.

If anyone does want it or anyparts pm me

Tony Hanna
12-22-2005, 11:33 PM
I hear ya man, but you can never have too many spare engines.:D
I picked up my sundance with an almost prefect body (good paint even!) for $200 with a spun rod bearing. If I'd had a spare engine then, it'd be up and running by now...
Tony

turbomopar87
12-23-2005, 09:14 PM
yea, i am going to try not to kill the motor...i hope something else falls apart before it blows. There are a couple of really short but steep inclined hills around here that we might try to get air over:D