PDA

View Full Version : 01 Jeep Wrangler: Intermittent no cranking problem: HELP

Clay
12-16-2007, 11:07 PM
My dad's 01 Jeep Wrangler has starting have an intermittent no cranking problem today. He drove it to the store, came back out, no crank. Everything seems to work, lights, radio, etc, it just would not crank or even try to. He played with stuff, giggled the stick, hit the clutch a few times, etc, he finally turned the wheel lock to lock and it fired up no problem.

Today I met him in town, and when I left he had the exact same problem. He called me and I went to check it out. Nothing worked this time. Hit everything, giggled everything, I checked/swapped around a bunch of relays under the hood to see if that was an issue. I checked all the fuses, and I checked the codes (there were none). When you turn the key, I can here a click under the dash for some kind of relay, but the dang started would not engage at all. Tried to push start the thing down a small incline, nothing. Its like something isnt even trying to engage the starter/ignition/etc.

Any thoughts? I need to get a hammer and go bang on the starter to make sure its not stuck, but other than that Im out of ideas.

thanks,
clay

shadow88
12-17-2007, 12:28 AM
Tough without the car doing it every time. I'd start with cleaning and tightening battery terminals.

BadAssPerformance
12-17-2007, 02:25 AM
You said it is a stick, but the 'no crank' and 'click under the dash' and 'no codes' is exactly what it did on our '97 Cherokee (4.0L/Auto) when the gear selector switch (read: fancy neutral safety switch) on the Aisin trans went bad.

If your stick is a Aisin, it might be the same thing? Or similar? Hopefully cheaper, the one for the auto was exspensive! There is some adjustment on the auto trans gear selector linkage, no idea on the stick.

mario03SRT
12-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Ignition Tumbler/Switch in the column?

Clay
12-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Ive had people on the jeep board I go to suggest cleaning the battery terminals and checking grounds, and I will. Though I dont think thats a problem because we had a good booster box on the battery at the time with the same results.

as for the neutral switch, I guess its possible, but this is an NV3500 jeep (which is NICE comparted to the AX15). but Ill see if it has something.

and yes, the ignition switch has also crossed my mine. ;)

shadow88
12-17-2007, 09:25 PM
This only occured to me today...The 01 tj's have a clutch depressed switch, right? Could it be floor mats bundled up under the pedal?

Other thought, were you going fast enough for the bump start?

Clay
12-17-2007, 11:48 PM
yup, they have a clutch switch. It can be defeated by inserting a fuse into the fuel panel behind the glove box.

Today my pops went to the jeep on his way to work. It fired right off.

So at this point Im guessing either battery issue, or that clutch switch is on the way out. Ive got the jeep now and plan to drive it a bit to see if I can get it to happen again. Then Ill test out which one it might be.

thanks guys!

turbovanmanČ
12-17-2007, 11:50 PM
My vote is the starter is on its way out. I had a customer call me-97 Grand Cherokee, 4.0L, I went over and yep, no crank. Had her hold the key, got my trusty hammer, tap tap, vroom, :nod:

Clay
12-17-2007, 11:56 PM
thats possible too. Thats what I was going to do today, but it fired up for my dad, so I cant test it until it happens again. Just have to wait I guess

turbovanmanČ
12-18-2007, 12:58 AM
Whats the mileage?

Vigo
12-18-2007, 02:04 AM
You said it is a stick, but the 'no crank' and 'click under the dash' and 'no codes' is exactly what it did on our '97 Cherokee (4.0L/Auto) when the gear selector switch (read: fancy neutral safety switch) on the Aisin trans went bad.

If your stick is a Aisin, it might be the same thing? Or similar? Hopefully cheaper, the one for the auto was exspensive! There is some adjustment on the auto trans gear selector linkage, no idea on the stick.

those can be taken apart and cleaned, usually fixes it..

that AW4 is a badass piece of work.. probly the best auto you could get in a 'domestic' for a long time there.

i had a 94 cherokee that made it to 358k on original trans and still going fine when i sold it.

now i have an 88 with 220k and its fine also.. and since there is such a low demand for them, it is cheap to get a used one if and when one does finally fail.

if you can bypass the clutch switch with a fuse, find out which fuse it is, wait til its not starting, and put the fuse in. if it starts then, there's a good cheap easy diagnostic.

BadAssPerformance
12-18-2007, 02:13 AM
I tried,but mine cracked the case when loosening the screws and had severly worn contacts inside too :(

Clay
12-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Whats the mileage?

Just drove it to work today. 84K (thats miles ;) )

Clay
12-18-2007, 09:23 AM
yeah, those darn AW4s........ Ive got one sitting my garage right now that I bought as a spare when I didnt know any better. There is no call for the things cause the never seem to break, so Ive never been able to get rid of it. ;)

As for the XJs, I love em. My first jeep was an 89. Hated the Renix FI, but loved the jeep. Ive thought about getting another XJ, mid 90s if I ever got serious, but I would have a hard time giving up the Wrangler for something with a fixed top.

those can be taken apart and cleaned, usually fixes it..

that AW4 is a badass piece of work.. probly the best auto you could get in a 'domestic' for a long time there.

i had a 94 cherokee that made it to 358k on original trans and still going fine when i sold it.

now i have an 88 with 220k and its fine also.. and since there is such a low demand for them, it is cheap to get a used one if and when one does finally fail.

if you can bypass the clutch switch with a fuse, find out which fuse it is, wait til its not starting, and put the fuse in. if it starts then, there's a good cheap easy diagnostic.

rbryant
12-18-2007, 01:37 PM
I also had to take my NSS switch out and clean it and put in new dielectric grease on my '96 Cherokee with the AW4. It has been perfect ever since!

There is a writeup on this somewhere on the web... You just disconnect it, take the nut off and pry the switch offf from the back side. It is pretty straight forward.

-Rich

Clay
12-18-2007, 03:16 PM
well, I think simon gets the cookie.

Went out for lunch today, got in the jeep, no startie. Put a fuse in the cluch switch bypass spot, no startie. Got out, smacked the started with a large wrench, got back in and it fired right off.

Only seems to happen after the jeep has been driven a bit. If you let it sit long enough it will fire up. Almost like something in the starter gets warm, grows a bit, and the stater gets tight. Let it sit, it cools off, all is well. OR smack it and it will loosen up.

Hopefully a new starter will cure the problem.

turbovanmanČ
12-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Ohhh, chocolate chip?

ShelbyTurbo
12-27-2007, 08:34 PM
My current method for bypassing my Neon's Neutral Safety Switch.

Unplug switch

cut off connector.

Crimp wires together. :thumb:

If you're stupid enough to try to start the car in gear with the clutch out, you deserve to plow through the back of your garage.

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2008, 04:59 PM
My current method for bypassing my Neon's Neutral Safety Switch.

Unplug switch

cut off connector.

Crimp wires together. :thumb:

If you're stupid enough to try to start the car in gear with the clutch out, you deserve to plow through the back of your garage.

+2, I hate neutral saftey switches, invented for idiots.