PDA

View Full Version : TIII timing sprockets

iTurbo
02-18-2006, 09:08 AM
I've heard one of the many reasons that TIII timing belts fail is because of the design of the original crank and/or cam sprockets. Did Mopar make updated sprockets to alleviate this problem? If so, how do you know if your car has them?

Xtrempickup
02-18-2006, 10:00 AM
im pretty sure its not the sprockets and crank problem. The way to alleviate the problem is the titanium retainers to take the pressure off the belt and proper tensioning. These cars were only available 3 yrs, chrysler i dont think even cared that it would eat a timing belt in less than 10 oil changes. some ppl have them last 70K miles. Cindy makes the adjustable cam gears, but i think they are the same in design basically. its the crank that tears the belt up if your cams are seizing in the head or the belt isnt tensioned correctly and then even then, these were not the average motor, they didnt do the research on how long stuff would last i doubt and if they did, figured the cars would never be popular or have a following. They never corrected the head cracking problem either

turbovanmanČ
02-19-2006, 12:46 AM
I heard the spring pressure is over 400 lbs at full opening?????????? :eek:

On that note, I am going to drop my head off at a head shop and have him check the pressures, then try to find some conicals to lower the seat pressure. I will post results when I do it. Has to be cheaper than buying the Titanium retainers.

86Shelby
02-19-2006, 10:46 PM
I heard the spring pressure is over 400 lbs at full opening?????????? :eek:

I don't doubt it one bit. Afterall, the valvetrain was equipped to handle 9k RPM out of the box.

turbovanmanČ
02-19-2006, 11:25 PM
I don't doubt it one bit. Afterall, the valvetrain was equipped to handle 9k RPM out of the box.

I won't and don't need that kind of RPM so I can tone it down a bit. I probably won't rev it over 6500 rpm.

Xtrempickup
02-20-2006, 09:53 PM
it can handle 9K out of the box??? the tach doesnt go over 8K and the rev limited is 6700 isnt it

turbovanmanČ
02-20-2006, 11:24 PM
it can handle 9K out of the box??? the tach doesnt go over 8K and the rev limited is 6700 isnt it

That doesn't mean anything. The Taurus SHO's with the Yammie 3.0L were tested to over 9000 rpm with absolutely no durability issues. They had to keep it down as the accessories kept letting go-IE alternator, a/c compressor etc.