PDA

View Full Version : 04 Ram 4x4 not engaging

Turbo3Iroc
12-14-2007, 02:56 PM
So we just got our first real hit of snow here in New England. Fine, I'll take the truck, pull out of the drive and I notice the 4x4 light isn't on. I don't have any issues getting into work in what seems like 2wd. I verified the the driveshaft is turning but when I step on it the back tires just kicked out a bit fishtailing. I was told to look for a vac solenoid on the axle but crawling under there today I didnt see anything of the sort.

I don't drive this truck often. It's mainly used as a tow vehicle and sits for several weeks at a time. 34K on the clock and the warranty ran out in Feb. :rolleyes: Oh, it's a 1500 model with the IFS and manual shifter.

Anyone ran into this before?

Turbo3Iroc
12-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Anyone?

ScottD
12-16-2007, 08:57 PM
I just pulled the transfer case out of my 90 Dakota Sport. There is a crapload of vacuum lines down there. I remember the prior owner telling me he lost 4wd once while he owned it (he put 191k on the truck) and it was a vacuum line. Hopefully it is something simplle like that.

Turbo3Iroc
12-16-2007, 09:04 PM
I did some investigating today and it seems it is engaging now but I'm not getting the light. So it looks like either the sensor that tells the light to turn on or the light burned out.

The roads are all snow covered again so I took it around the block to check it out. And while Thiursday it didn't seem as though I was getting 4wd, today it seemed as though it is working. I even jacked up the rear end and the fronts pulled the jack a bit. Just no light so it looks like it is pretty simple. Thanks Scott!

ScottD
12-16-2007, 09:48 PM
I don't know if you have a factory service manual but I got one online for free for my 06 Dakota at www.dodgeforum.com. It was under one of the stickys, maybe there is one there for the Ram.

Turbo3Iroc
12-16-2007, 10:30 PM
I found it, Thanks!

cobra2411
12-16-2007, 10:34 PM
You can also post here. http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Turbo3Iroc
12-16-2007, 10:47 PM
I've never heard of these other forums before today.

I used to post on the Dakota mailing list back when I still had mine but I never got into the Ram that much to look up forums dedicated to it.

shadow88
12-17-2007, 12:26 AM
I agree with the vacuum harness having leaks, cracks or a poor connection on the transfer case. Other possibilities are different sized tires front and rear due to the different rolling diameters. Linkage mis-adjustment is possible.

Indicator switch is like our manual trans reverse switch, 2 prong, ball and seat switches. Jump the 2 with the ignition on to test the bulb and wiring.

Turbo3Iroc
12-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Like I said before it is engaging, just no light. Tires are factory stock Goodyears. I'll check into the switch and bulb, etc.