PDA

View Full Version : your worst 'racing' experince?

shelbyplaya
02-17-2006, 10:21 PM
mine was showing some one what it was like racing in my car. i cant rember what i was lined up agenst, but by the end of the race (where the finish line is) i'm doing about 190-200kmh. as my luck would have it a cop came over the hill as i started to slow down. so i just punched it again. i got away, went back to the coffee shop we all meet at and the cop come by looking for the black mustang that was racing....

to close for comfert! i'm not bragging and i'm not proud of this.

i just wanna hear about others and there trubbles.

Dave
02-17-2006, 10:34 PM
What were you racing??

turbovanmanČ
02-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Doing a burnout at the track last race of the year-05 and the tranny let go, :(

Bardo
02-18-2006, 12:23 AM
i hit the brakes at 115 and rearended the person at 90mph

SpoolinGLH
02-18-2006, 03:59 AM
Coming back from the return lane at the track and went off of the pavement alittle bit and POP goes a brand new M&H slick.:censored:

turboaddict
02-18-2006, 04:31 AM
racing a wrx up to about 115 and blamo on come the oh ---- lites from the other direction, punched it hung a richie down a side road and "luckily" the cop went after the wrx....

Kulgii
02-18-2006, 10:35 AM
I was racing down a empty 4 lane road in my girlfriend's sonoma, It was up against a new 4.7 Regular cab Ram with mods. He got me off the line (I had a open differential) but blew past him at 85 when we passed a cop... He turned one way and I went straight... the lady cop :eyebrows: was cool about it but made me promise not to street race again and as I was talking to the cop, all my friends watching the race passed the cop and I.... My friends still mess with me about that, they said I flopped "it" out the window on her.... ;)

GLHSKEN
02-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Melting a piston on a brand new block at SDAC 15...

GLHS592
02-18-2006, 10:38 AM
I've not had any terrible racing experiences. I guess the worst for me is when I let Andy Bestor take my Shelby Charger down the 1/8th mile track and he beat my best pass by nearly 2 tenths on his first try.

Melting a piston on a brand new block at SDAC 15...

You could go eenie meenie minee moe couldn't you when it comes to bad racing experiences? :p

GLHSKEN
02-18-2006, 10:50 AM
I've not had any terrible racing experiences. I guess the worst for me is when I let Andy Bestor take my Shelby Charger down the 1/8th mile track and he beat my best pass by nearly 2 tenths on his first try.

You could go eenie meenie minee moe couldn't you when it comes to bad racing experiences? :p

LOL!!! I really don't have any luck with my car do I... But everyone else's I work on seems to fly with no issues...

BadAssPerformance
02-18-2006, 11:19 AM
damn, I need to explain mine in person to get the full effect out... I'm 1/4 Italian so I need my hands to help explain it.

Well, I was on my way to work at 6am on the tollway, this time of year, cold, but no snow or anything wet, just a light dry haze of salt on the tollway.

I'm rolling at 65mph in a 55 zone in '87 CSX #252 and a blue 2nd gen Probe GT gets next to me, and takes off, so he gets about a 5 car head start before I realize we were racing (still 1/2 asleep) so I downshift into 4th and hit it and immediately start pulling on him.

Just ahead is a big white 4x4 Ram in the middle of the 3 lanes, and he goes to pass on the right, I take the left, only 2 cars behind him. As I pass the Ram, I see that I'm just passing 80mph. There's a guy in my lane ahead, I go for the middle lane at the same time I look to see if anyone is there and see that I caught up even with him going around the Ram and that he's also going for the middle lane.

Before we touch in the middle of the middle lane, I jerk the wheel to put the car back in the left lane, and it gets a little sideways and pointing at the inside wall. A sthe car starts going towards the left shoulder (paved and wide like another lane but still having a big concrete wall on the other side) I jerk the wheel back to the right and it gets sideways more, and remember there is a car ahead of me in that lane so I'm also braking a little to slow down, so the rear end starts coming around. I steer into it, but no help. I clutch in as it gets perpendicular to traffic , and the next thing I saw was the fron of the big white Ram!

Thinking that I would straighten the wheel out and try to stop backwards I turned the wheel, but going backwards I was backwards, and ended up turning the wheel more, and continued to spin to the right. as the car came around and I got to look at the inside wall again, I started unrolling the steering wheel and ended up centered in the middle lane going straight at 55mph.

I pulled to the right lane to think about what the hell just happened. All 4 tires are flat spotted pretty good, lots of vibration, but still going straight. The Ram truck passes me like he's getting the hell away from a lunatic black shadow, and an old guy in a taurus passed me slowly staring over like what the hells with this guy, or he just never saw a guy in a white shirt and tie drive a shadow? lol

I drove the speed limit the rest of the way to work, probably 20 miles left to go out of the 42.5 mile commute (mostly tollway, maybe 12-13 miles of residential with 14 traffic lights, best time ever was 39 minutes flat and posted a while after this incident) took forever, I was still shaking when I got to work.

morals of the story... an '87 CSX is very balanced, respect this. A FWD with good tires on the front and bald tires on the rear will get sideways. Light salt residue looks dry but is slippery. If you do get out of shape in a FWD, hit the gas to pull it straight, not the brakes, although i didnt have much choice as I was gaining on the car ahead of me in the left lane.........

Today #252 is sitting in a barn awaiting a lot of TLC. I don't think I'll ever sell that car.

http://www.badassperformance.com/mrides/csx/csx252.jpg

Dave
02-18-2006, 12:04 PM
JT that reminds me of a time when I was in my 2.5 TII Spirit. I took a turn way too fast going up a hill and the back end starting losing traction and started to hop, for some reason Gran Turismo 4 just popped into my head and I just turn to the oncoming lane and punched it, finally the back half stopped sliding, I hooked up and then got it back in my lane.

Another time I left a friend's house in the same car and I did a massive non-e-brake burnout. I went to lift from the burnout and it kept going. SHAAT! So I just shut it off and turn the key to on and hit the brakes.
Later found out my rigged cruise control mounting job (I had it just hanging by the battery tray) , well it's nuts must've came loose and pulled on the cable causing it to stay at WOT. Took that right off!

BadAssPerformance
02-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Dave, you just reminded me of another almost bad racing experience.

I had my '86 EFI Lancer 5-speed and my buddy had his EFI / auto Lebaron GTS, and we were doing laps around the 4th floor of a parking garage full of cars... my gas pedal stuck so I put it in 5th to bog the motor, stood on the brakes and shut it off. If the throttle sticks, its always good to hit the brakes with the vacuum assist just before shutting it off.

cordes
02-18-2006, 12:55 PM
I was with my friend in his GN and we left a second to last gen supra at the light like he did not even have a motor in the car.

All of the sudden, we heard a helacious noise coming from behind us. Before we knew what hit us the guy was up to our right side, had to stand on the brake to slow down, nodded, hammered the breaks, and shot around our left side to the turn around.

He must have given us at least 5-6 car lenghts before he got on it. The car was a total sleeper too. It had a primer hood and front fender with some kid behind the wheel.

We decided to call it a night after that, to aviod futher imbarrasment.

3Bar_Mopar
02-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Losing to a stock Saturn SL2 in my completely gutted, 18 PSI '88 Daytona with open downpipe.

It must have been a spectacle to see. My car had no overboost eliminator on it and the wastegate can was unplugged and shimmed.

From the light I eased the gas and slipped the clutch easy...too easy, he's pulling away!
I get on it some more...wham! Boost hits! Wheelspin like crazy! I peddle it.
I short shift to second and nail it...then wait a half second....wham! Boost hits! wheelspin again, I peddle it and hit the rev limiter worried too much about traction..
I shift third and lay into it again....wham! Brick wall! Overboost!
Meanwhile he's doddling away!
I peel my face from the windshield, then let out a little and try to hover the boost gauge needle at 14 PSI....
I'm gaining on him like I'm a cheetah and there's a steak tied to his butt.
Almost next to him and d'oh, he's on the brakes...it's all over....I lost.

Dave
02-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Losing to a stock Saturn SL2 in my completely gutted, 18 PSI '88 Daytona with open downpipe.

It must have been a spectacle to see. My car had no overboost eliminator on it and the wastegate can was unplugged and shimmed.

From the light I eased the gas and slipped the clutch easy...too easy, he's pulling away!
I get on it some more...wham! Boost hits! Wheelspin like crazy! I peddle it.
I short shift to second and nail it...then wait a half second....wham! Boost hits! wheelspin again, I peddle it and hit the rev limiter worried too much about traction..
I shift third and lay into it again....wham! Brick wall! Overboost!
Meanwhile he's doddling away!
I peel my face from the windshield, then let out a little and try to hover the boost gauge needle at 14 PSI....
I'm gaining on him like I'm a cheetah and there's a steak tied to his butt.
Almost next to him and d'oh, he's on the brakes...it's all over....I lost.

Got traction?:drum:

shadow88
02-18-2006, 05:12 PM
^^^ love the drummer guy!!!

One of the worst was at cayuga friday night test and tune.
Quick spin of the tires and continue right past the start line, master cylinder failure. Expensive tow home and repair. I refer to that night as my $600 race.

Blowing the coolant tube from the turbo the the head at St. Thomas and fixing it with a garden hose, driving 280 kms home after a couple more rounds.

racing along empty, clear road against new (at the time) toyota celica and backing off as traffic come up to us. I let off, he kept at it, he spun and crashed his new car. Haven't done alot of street racing since. -jaim

TrrboJeep
02-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Best Joe Rogan impersonation... This should never be attempted by anyone, anytime, anywhere! :amen:

Back in the mid 90's my brother who lives in Dayton Oh. decided to come up for a visit one weekend to Toledo OH. (where I lived at the time). He had a Yamaha FZR1000 at the time. He decided "stupidly" to hit 75 north and do no less than 100mph the entire way! Well as luck would have it as he was going through Lima, a state boy was sitting in the median and clocked him. He pulls out and flips on the lights. My brother rolls it on and preceeds to run 160 mph up the freeway. After 5 or 10 miles the state police are nowhere to be found, so he backs it back down to 100. He thinks maybe he is out of the woods, but notices traffic starting to bunch up, on up the road in front of him. It is at that point he realizes why. 2 state troopers are driving side by side at about 50mph intentionally waiting on him. As he approaches he checks his mirrors to discover 2 more approaching from the rear at a high rate of speed. Knowing that they would soon be close enough to get his plate number and it would be curtains for him, he does what no mortal man would ever think to do with a sport bike... go off road! He hits the binders hard and drives down through the median, and back up the other side and hits the southbound lane, balls to the wall. One of the state boys pulls the same manuver and gives chase. He ran wide open to the first exit and went west, zig zaging down country roads. He was ammazed at how well the trooper tryied to hang in there, but in the end was no match for his sport bike. He got to my house 1 1/2 hours later than if he had rode the speed limit the whole way, and when he pulled into my driveway his bike was ticking like every tappet needed adjusted. It was rung out harder than ever! lol

To this day he observes the speed limit when he comes up to visit.... can you say LUCKY! :nod:

BadAssPerformance
02-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Damn, he did get lucky... A former roomie of mine from Toledo and had a switch on the tail light of his Gixxer for such night time occasions :thumb:

jckrieger
02-28-2006, 03:00 PM
I think the worst racing experience I've ever been through was when I was 16 and we were doing high speed runs on a back country road. My friends wanted a piece of my Daytona, so I did a quick pass down the road and hit 130mph and let off, slowed down, and turned off into somebody's driveway. Now keep in mind this road ends at a T with a bean field and a house on the opposite side of the intersection. Well, my friend thought he could hit 130mph in his Fiero without any problem (Fiero owners think 130hp is *sporty*). As I'm sitting near the end of the road kinda marking where he should start braking, I see him fly by at around 115mph... still WOT. The next thing we saw (I had a friend in the car with me) was the fiero tailights jump up, and then vanish after the intersection. We knew exactly what happened, so we ran about 1/8 mile to the bean field and saw skid marks that started AT the stop sign, then a large gouge in the grassy ditch, then we saw a pattern of flat soybeans and tall soybeans, with Fiero parts scattered everywhere. We followed the trail of parts and eventually found both passengers already out of the car scared shitless... but totally uninjured. The 4 of us rolled the car back onto all 4 wheels and after some work, we got it on a trailer and hauled it away to be parted out... 3 weeks after my friend originally purchased it.

Oh, and if you're going to go 130mph+, make sure you have things sorted out with your friends and family, because you don't know if you're going to end up in a field, tree, telephone poll, or a house when you lose control. My roomate was killed over the summer while driving a friend's 87 GN (he owned one himself) while he was passing somebody on I-55 at "over 100mph". A rear tire came apart (the car had drag radials on it) and he lost control.

And the moral of the story is:
a) God has plans for us all - I personally don't care for this one
b) Sometimes we get lucky, sometimes we don't
c) We should keep racing to the track

TrrboJeep
02-28-2006, 04:22 PM
I used to drive a shuttle van for Holiday Inn years ago. I worked second shift, and my last run of the night was usually around 11:30pm. I would head out to the airport and pick up the filght crew from one of the airlines, and bring them back to the hotel for the night.
Well... one evening I'm on my last run, I've got everyone in the van, and I'm driving back to the hotel. It had been a long day, I was tired, and only half paying attention... big mistake let me tell you! You see my devilish brother, unbeknownst to me, had been hiding in his 66 Pontiac Catalina over in one of the parking lots by the airport laying in wait for me. He had a 389 in that car with a side exit exhaust out the passenger side with only a rotted out cherry bomb muffler on there. There was little to know traffic on the access road to the airport, and he got a run up on me, from a long ways back. I never saw him coming, and he must have been doing a buck 20 when he passed me at WOT, that cherry bomb screaming at full song, and I'm here to tell ya I damn near drove that van into the weeds. I think we all $hit ourselves that night in that shuttle van, me and the entire airline crew.
It was one of those moments that for an instant your scared out of your mind, and in the next instant, it is all you can do to contain your laughter. Once I realized who it was, and what had just happened, I had all I could do to contain myself. The comments coming from the occupants in the back seats diden't help matters either. We still laugh about that to this day! :lol:

altered7151
02-28-2006, 07:25 PM
My "worst" experience was when I was about 18-19 and still in Ca. I never did much street racing since I lost a couple friends to it, but I had just got my prized possesion and was feeling a little bold, my 57 chevy pickup with a warmed over 327 sbc in it. Nothing special, more of a cruiser, but no slouch either. Especially when you're 18 and you think whatever you own at the time is fast. So I had just picked up this girl I had been wanting to take out for a while, so of course I spent all day detailing the truck. Not too far from her house I pull up to a stop light and there's a sporty little car sitting there at the light, I had no idea what it was at the time, I just remember seeing a digital style dash in it. So I take off from the light and give it a little gas before the next light turns red and have to slow, I see the little red car catch up to me pretty quick and pull up to me next to the light. He gave the universal "I wanna race" rev, so figuring I'd impress my date, I revved back then started to brake torque it in anticipation of the light. Sure enough I got a pretty decent launch on him and started to pull away from him. Just about the time I thought I was a hero and was gonna get laid for sure, that thing shot by me like I had the parking brake on. I pulled up to him at the next light, and gave him the thumbs up, he rolled down the windown and complimented me on my truck, maybe he felt bad about my date being in the car and thought he'd help out a little bit. Of course I had to ask "What is that thing anyways", and you probably guessed it by now, he yelled back "89 Shelby Daytona!" That was my introduction to TD's, education through humiliation.

WLKivett
03-01-2006, 02:34 PM
The worst Racing thread goes to =

CSX vs 03 Mach one

B82Colwell
03-01-2006, 03:33 PM
My worst was my stepbrother and I had almost the same idetical cars (mine was a 90 regal, and his was a 92 grand prix, same motor and trans) we're out goofing around racing our cars just playing around passing each other when I pull out around him, and get next to him, and we stay dead even. Up ahead around a corner comes a car in the opposite direction, So I get on my brakes to let my stepbro by, look over, there he is with me, braking at about the same speed..... he finally looks over and sees me still next to him door to door and lets off the brakes so I can slide in behind him, and I barely miss the other car. It doesn't sound like much, but at the time was quite scary. I don't really have any other bad personal stories.... last memorial day my stepdad put his racecar through the fence and almost into the bleachers at the track. They had to stop the races because he took out 2 light poles and it was then a danger to the crowd. The last race of 2000 the guy that pit next to us was hit and flipped his car right in front of us, but he was ok.

86Shelby
04-05-2006, 12:32 AM
The worst experience I've had was watching some street racing last summer. This guy thought it would be cool to be riding his sport bike by the crowd doing wheelies, endos and things like that in between races. He was just starting a higher speed wheelie when the car that was 100 yards or so infront of him decided to panic stop at the green light to see what was going on. He put it down and was braking heavily. The front wheel started to wobble and he clipped the curb. For an instant everyone thought the bike doing summersaults through the air was cool(amazing videos tv show-style cool) until they realized that the rider was 10-15ft in the air above the bike! The chain link fence that he slid along for a solid 50 ft was the only thing that kept him from a thick grove of trees and further injuries. I hear he's doing ok considering his injuries; several broken bones, terrible concussion and nasty road rash. His short term memory is pretty much gone though.

Wink
04-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Ok, might as well post my "worst racing experience".

I guess it was about 2 or 3 years ago, when I first got into the turbo mopar scene. I had resurected an 89 Sundance RS. I also had my Lebaron and another Sundance. But both of those were 3.0L with 5 speeds. I was driving the "Duster" and had the kids with me. We had just finished dinner and was on my way home. Well, I was stopped at a redlight, and to my surprise another car blipped the gas to get my attention. When the driver did so, I heard the ever loving sound of a BOV go off when said person let off. That definately got my attention, so I peer over at the driver, only to notice that it was my wife in my Sundance RS. So, jokingly, I responded with my own blip of the throttle. As soon as I did that, my son, sitting in the back seat says, "are you going to beat that guy, dad?" I politly said that guy was his mother, and I'm going to give it all I got, so buckle up well. He let out a giggle and said, "you better not lose, or you won't hear the end of it."

The mean time, the crossing street's light was turning yellow. I hear the RS's rpms start to rise. At this point I'm wondering how and where my wife knew how to brake torque. Anyway, I get my rpms up to a safe 2300rpms and ready myself for a hearty launch. The light goes green and we bust through the intersection. I get instant traction, as I hear the poor RS completely burning up the front tires. I slap the duster's box into 2nd and get a nice long squawk from the tires. I still don't see the RS at my door. But, as I reach for 3rd gear, I spy the wife passing me like I'm standing still, out of my periferial. Needless to say, I just gave up when that happened. My son, bless his heart, kept chanting, "Daddy got beat by Mommy!!!", over and over again. Man, tell you what. That has got to be the most demeaning feeling in the world.

I got home and the wife was waiting outside with a grin that says, "I love you, but.........."

I still haven't lived that episode of my life down.

I guess the only good thing about this is that I got beat by my own creation.

Wink

turbovanmanČ
04-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Friday night, April 7th at the track, :banghead: :censored:

jckrieger
04-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Now you have to tell the story!

turbovanmanČ
04-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Now you have to tell the story!

Its in the strip section, :thumb: