PDA

View Full Version : My Turbo 3.0l Pics

cobra2411
12-08-2007, 02:58 PM
http://www.middletoninv.com/TurboShadow/

Here's a link to pictures of my 93 Shadow ES 3.0 Turbo...

I paid $200 for it so I could take the 543 and swap into my 94 Lebaron GTC Convertible.

I'm going to wait a bit and turn this car into a mostly drag car and have some fun... Thanks Firebaron... Like I didn't have enough to do already... :p

Right now the car has a tiny Mitsu turbo on it and while it felt great at low speeds I know it's WAY too small. It hits hard at like 1500 and with bald tires on gravel it was torquing all over the place...

Anyway I'm thinking of either a single 20g or twin T3's. Fab is free plus materials and I'm trying to build this as cheap as possible so...

I also want to setup a Megasquirt on it....

1FastCSX289
12-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Fits in there suprisingly well. No IC, huh? Do anything internal to the engine as far as lowering compression? Keep it up!

Ondonti
12-08-2007, 05:21 PM
where exactly is the exhaust coming from to power the turbo. Almost looks like it comes the the plenum (obviously it doesnt) in those pics :P

overlordsshadow
12-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Looks Redneck to me, just the way I like it. As long as you have fun and its quick.

cobra2411
12-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Engine mods... ?? Probably none... I bought it with the turbo already on it. At first I only wanted the 543 so I really didn't care too much that it had a turbo. I was just happy it ran so I could get it up on the trailer... :)

It's hard to see the exhaust, but it's a modified crossover pipe that basically looks like an upside down y. Front and back are connected together and it Y's out under the TB and goes back to the turbo.

I'm not sure it needs an IC. Boost is limited to 5lbs from what I was told. PO took the boost gauge so I can't verify right now... Looking at the turbo map, at higher rpm's it looks really inefficient so it may end up throwing alot of heat into the motor trying to make boost...

While I would still call it redneck, it's pretty well thought out. I didn't build it, but it's not too far off from what I was thinking.

I'm not sure I'm going to put an IC on it. I don't know how much street time the car is going to see, so I may just run an ADI system. Probably cost the same as an IC. Maybe a small used IC and ADI...

I haven't really driven it, and nether did the PO so I'm not sure how fast it is. The little that I did drive it, it seemed pretty quick, but I think it was because the small turbo spooled so quick.

David

Ondonti
12-08-2007, 06:35 PM
I dont know if it will be very functional above 5000 rpms.

What did the person do for fuel?

Its a chrysler flanged mitsu turbo right? That might change your plans but it seems you want to build your own manifolds anyways.

cobra2411
12-08-2007, 07:05 PM
What did the PO do for fuel? I'm guessing put it in the tank... :p Doesn't look like he did anything for fuel. Good thing he didn't drive it much. Maybe that's why he didn't drive it much...

Fuel's going to be the biggest issue I think. That's why I'm thinking of going to the MegaSquirt. Big pump, 3bar map and tune it all in the ECU, no FMU or anything fancy like that.

Yes, it's the chrysler flanged mitsu turbo and I agree that it may not be functional above 5k. If I keep it a single turbo I can change the flange to whatever I need.

I'm kinda leaning toward twins. Use the stock manifolds and sit the turbos over the trans. One in front, one in back slightly staggered. I've got to spend some time with a tape measure...

My original plan was to turbo the convertible. I was going to use a T4 and mount it where the stock airbox was. My goal was 250-275hp because I didn't want to break out of the 14's (no roll bar).

I may still go with a single, and mount it in the same spot, but I want 350-400hp now because A.) it's a coupe and B.) I don't care if I have to put a roll bar in the car.

My main concern is the budget. I think it would be easier to find a pair of used but usable T3 turbos over a 20g or big T4...

Still in the planning stages.

Ondonti
12-09-2007, 04:11 AM
you dont need a roll bar till 11.49. 13.50 requires a helmet.

BTW if that car doesnt have an FMU or something to add fuel I would suggest not driving it.

cobra2411
12-09-2007, 08:57 AM
last I checked a convertible needed a roll bar at 13.99, but that was years ago, it may have changed. I knew for a hard top that it was 11.5 or 12 seconds for a bar.

If I go with dual t3's or a 20g etc..., a megasquirt and all the other support items I would hope I would get to at least that level. Add some weight reduction, sticky tires and practice... who knows...

I figure 300hp should get me into the 12's, and 400hp should get me into the 11's once everything is sorted out. Would it be too much to spray a twin turbo'd 3.0l into the 10's? :evil:

How much does a shadow weigh?

Also with no fuel enrichment I agree that I shouldn't drive it. I've asked Santa for an LM-1 setup with the RPM adapter... Maybe when I get that I'll run it and see where the A/F ratio is at... :eek:

cordes
12-09-2007, 01:56 PM
A bare bones 4 cyl. turbo shadow hard top weighs in at a little over 2700lbs.

Ondonti
12-09-2007, 03:27 PM
last I checked a convertible needed a roll bar at 13.99, but that was years ago, it may have changed. I knew for a hard top that it was 11.5 or 12 seconds for a bar.

If I go with dual t3's or a 20g etc..., a megasquirt and all the other support items I would hope I would get to at least that level. Add some weight reduction, sticky tires and practice... who knows...

I figure 300hp should get me into the 12's, and 400hp should get me into the 11's once everything is sorted out. Would it be too much to spray a twin turbo'd 3.0l into the 10's? :evil:

How much does a shadow weigh?

Also with no fuel enrichment I agree that I shouldn't drive it. I've asked Santa for an LM-1 setup with the RPM adapter... Maybe when I get that I'll run it and see where the A/F ratio is at... :eek:

Didnt realize it was a vert.

I think the rule is probably 13.49 now though with all of NHRA's changes to help let faster production cars run.

I would probably find a hardtop P body...Then you can go 11.49 for free.

It might be safer to run more boost then add spray to 400hp worth of boost on a stock engine. Depends on your turbocharger i guess!!!!

My guess as to why the car hasnt blown up is that the turbo is functioning in the RPM range (1500-3500) That is probably the safest to run with not enough fuel. Also, the 3.0's fuel curve is a bit conservative (rich) in those rpms.

Honestly it cant be much faster then stock just because you dont have fuel to burn but it might "feel fast" because of adding a little bit of torque at the low end. stock 3.0's already feel faster then they really are because of the low end. Then you race them at the track and realize you need to ditch the stock intake and other things.

cobra2411
12-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Original turbo plan was a vert... Hence the 250hp goal. I now have a P body hard top... Now I have a 300-400hp goal...

My plan is to build it as cheaply as I can, beat it like a red headed step child and see what breaks... :D

And I agree, with the turbo that's on there it only feels fast. I don't expect a turbo that hits hard and strong down at like 1500 to keep going all the way to redline. I'll bet it has more torque that stock, but less HP. That assumes it has enough fuel...

I don't believe the car was driven much since the turbo was put on.

I may regasket the motor and maybe even re-ring and bearing it. I'm shooting for 20-25 psi in the end, which may be the end... :evil:

cobra2411
12-09-2007, 04:46 PM
How bad is the stock intake? Can I make 3-400hp with it by cranking up the boost?

Also I was thinking of turboing it to 3-400 AND then spaying it to over 400...

Yes I'm nuts, and yes I want to scatter the motor...

nmw2006
12-09-2007, 05:18 PM
I have always heard that the real restrictions are in the heads themselves (ie. can't flow enough air/fuel to make anywhere near that kind of horsepower)

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see you making anywhere near that kind of horsepower without some serious engine mods.

Not to rain on your party though - GOOD LUCK!!!!:D

Ondonti
12-09-2007, 09:02 PM
I have always heard that the real restrictions are in the heads themselves (ie. can't flow enough air/fuel to make anywhere near that kind of horsepower)

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see you making anywhere near that kind of horsepower without some serious engine mods.

Not to rain on your party though - GOOD LUCK!!!!:D

They still flow better then TD heads and you have 6 cylinders instead of 4............50% more flow potencial.

The major restriction is building the proper system.

And of course Ed Kelly can build the heads to make 220+cfm's on stock valves.

Im a fan of going big on the turbo to make up for head inefficiencies. Some cams go along nicely as well.

TurboSedan
12-10-2007, 03:57 AM
that is pretty cool. and here i thought the T25 on my 3.1L V6 was small :D actually did make 230whp and 337ft/lbs with it though. no traction at all, it was crazy down low but of course, no top end at all.

--------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge Spirit R/T
'98 Buick Regal GS

93sundance
12-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Awesome score on the $200 car. Looks like it will be a fun project.