PDA

View Full Version : 95 Jimmy

3nglenn
12-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Well I am now the owner of a 95 GMC Jimmy:confused: . After repairing the water pump I am having some idle and driving problems. Mostly surging. I know it needs a complete tune up (it's lit up like a christmas tree at night from the coil and wires). However I've heard these engines (4.3 litre Vortec) have problems with carbon buildup around the EGR valves. Can any one guide me as to the location of this valve, whats involved in removing it , and any other info, links etc. Any and all help much appreciated. Thanks G.P.

turbovanmanČ
12-07-2007, 09:44 PM
There actually not bad for carbon, what happens is they get a bit but chunks fall off and block open the EGR valve, then it burns it out. If you remove the intake snorkel, look underneath the tb and you'll see a cylinderical unit bolted down to the intake with 2-3/8 headed bolts. Remove them, wiggle out the valve and check it. If jammed, remove the chunk, install a updated gasket that has a built in mesh screen, Dorman part #47007 and see what happens. If it still idles bad and has low vacuum, the valve is damaged and needs replacing.

There also bad for the injector "spiders" leaking into the intake, you can see this by removing the tuning valve solenoid thats sitting atop the intake and is held on my torx screws. You can shine a flashlight inside and look for puddles of fuel and or a bad smell of raw fuel and in some cases, you can see it spraying around. The usuall suspects are a leaking reg or plastic injector hose.

3nglenn
12-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Cool. Thank you Simon!! :thumb: G.P.