PDA

View Full Version : '93 Dakota 3.9 V6

uwilluz
12-06-2007, 04:10 AM
So on my way home tonight I noticed my battery gauge was bouncing back and forth. My lights were kind of dimming, then the battery gauge would go back to normal and they would come back on in full.

then, when I'm about five blocks from home, my temp gauge started steady rising. Before you know it, I've got crazy smoke coming from under the hood, but since the temp gauge wasn't pegged yet, I decided to limp it home (2 blocks). I pop the hood (it's 3AM) and from what little I can see under the hood, there is antifreeze EVERYWHERE.

What's crazy is it doesn't appear that the serpentine belt is loose and/or missing. I'm hoping to get a better look tomorrow, but what BESIDES the serpentine belt could cause this???

Thanks!

Will check in tomorrow morning with my findings!

uwilluz
12-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Okay guys, popping the hood this morning, the antifreeze resevoir was COMPLETELY dry. I filled i up w/out checking the radiator level. Let it run for a while, while idling, the truck was fine. Didn't even start to heat up.

Decided to run it around the block. lo and behold, it started overheating within a mile.

Get home, pop the hood, it's smoking like mad from near the alternator, right around the spot where the radiator hose connects. Also I was getting a few wisps of smoke from the radiator itself.

Checked the resevoir levels, it hadn't even moved. Checked the radiator levels, couldn't even see the antifreeze. Filled it up.

Why would the resevoir stay full when the radiator itself was empty? :confused2:

I'm stumped here guys, and this is my ONLY means of transportation, HELP!!!

Thanks!

*edit* it's worth mentioning that the radiator fan IS running when the truck is on.

DodgeZ
12-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Okay guys, popping the hood this morning, the antifreeze resevoir was COMPLETELY dry. I filled i up w/out checking the radiator level. Let it run for a while, while idling, the truck was fine. Didn't even start to heat up.

Decided to run it around the block. lo and behold, it started overheating within a mile.

Get home, pop the hood, it's smoking like mad from near the alternator, right around the spot where the radiator hose connects. Also I was getting a few wisps of smoke from the radiator itself.

Checked the resevoir levels, it hadn't even moved. Checked the radiator levels, couldn't even see the antifreeze. Filled it up.

Why would the reservoir stay full when the radiator itself was empty? :confused2:

I'm stumped here guys, and this is my ONLY means of transportation, HELP!!!

Thanks!

*edit* it's worth mentioning that the radiator fan IS running when the truck is on.

It only sucks from the reservoir when it isn't running.

Clay
12-06-2007, 12:19 PM
hmmmmm sounds like a water pump issue, OR maybe that little crappy hose that runs from the intake to the water pump. Its been a while since Ive worked on my own magnum motor, but I would check that hose out if you can. Granted, this is just what struck me first when you mentioned coolant spraying in that area.

Clay
12-06-2007, 12:20 PM
oh yeah, and have you refilled the radiator and tried running it again? watch while its heating up and see what happens. Maybe you can catch where the issue starts?

uwilluz
12-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Okay, just realized that the truck only overheats when it's in gear.

It's too damned cold out for me, plus I've got limited tools. Took it to the shop. $40 to diagnose, waived if I get it repaired there.

Screw it. Not in the mood for this crap. lol.

turbovanmanČ
12-06-2007, 02:27 PM
I bet the waterpump bypass hose is leaking. If you have the multiport injection, its a royal PITA to get at. This would put coolant on the belt and cause it to slip, dimming your lights.

uwilluz
12-06-2007, 02:29 PM
I'll let you guys know what I find out!

Appreciate the input!

uwilluz
12-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Turns out the heater hose, where it wraps around and connects behind the alternator, was split down the side. $120 to fix it at the shop. . . . . Pricey, but my butt stayed warm in my own bed while they fixed it for me, so I'm happy.

Clay
12-06-2007, 08:18 PM
yeah, thats right! the heater hoses do connect on that side! but wow! $120 bucks!! You could buy the hose, and the tools, and not have $20 in it!

uwilluz
12-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Yeah, but the alternator had to be removed.... I had work to do today and bowling league tonight, so I decided to just let them do it. It's too freaking cold out for my blood. lol.

1966 dart wagon
12-06-2007, 11:40 PM
they had to remove the alternator to get that hose off :confused: mine cracked in the same place a couple days ago and was leakin antifreeze, i repaired it in a parking lot with some hoes and a screw driver...ya it was cold it cost me nothing :eyebrows: but no i see my bypass hose(one from wp to intake) is going to so im going to replace that tomorrow:D at least its all fixed and u didnt have to freeze like i did:lol:

2.5L_Turbo_Sundance
12-07-2007, 10:08 AM
good thing you found the problem, and it could have been a lot worst. the truck doesnt have any motor damage from overheating, does it?

it was still kinda cheap, so its a good thing IMO

Alex

Scottmon
12-07-2007, 10:24 AM
They had to remove the alternator as the mounting plate the alternator is bolted to covers up the front of the intake on the 3.9 and 5.2. One heater hose goes in the top of the intake at the front and you have to pull the mounting plate to get at it. Hope they replaced the bypass hose while they were in there too!!!