PDA

View Full Version : Ported Exhaust Manifolds

moparzrule
12-05-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm not exclusively porting for Turbo's Unleashed, check their site in a week or two to order.

tvanlant
12-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Looking nice. Thats alot of power to be gained for only $85!

shadow88
12-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Has anyone done a back-to-back dyno to see just how much power is gained?

moparzrule
12-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Not that I know of, but those results wouldn't be accurate whatsoever because every setup is different and has different results. How much power you are making is relative to how much power is gained. I just know that I spooled my super 70 turbo 300 RPM faster with my manifold and had a definite upper RPM gain. I've talked to others that have experienced the faster spoolup anyway. And if it's spooling faster, you obviously got more flow (and/or velocity).
Going by the old butt dyno, which I know isn't extremely credible, I'm gonna say I gained about 20 WHP on a 300 WHP setup.

moparzrule
12-13-2007, 01:26 PM
I also wanted to mention that you would see bigger results with a ported head versus a stock head (although there is still decent gains even with a stock head). The ports on the stock exhaust manifold are smaller than the ports on the head! I gasket match these manifolds so the ports on the manifold are much larger than the ports on the head, this way even with a ported head the ports on the manifold are large enough to have the least amount of restriction coming out of the head.
In my daytona I trapped 111.8 MPH with one of my manifolds and in my shadow so far with a horrible tune (didn't have enough time to prepare) I went 107.4.

tps25pentium
12-17-2007, 08:15 PM
I've got one of his units and its definitely a work of art!

moparzrule
12-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the kind words Hank!

moparzrule
12-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Just giving a bump. Still 2 weeks out unless a couple people pending say yes.

moparzrule
01-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Took off work today and caught everybody up and shipped out all paid for orders. My hand is shaky from porting all day LOL.
Currently scheduling 1 week out so if you are in a hurry now is the time!

moparzrule
01-16-2008, 06:47 PM

moparzrule
01-16-2008, 06:56 PM

thefitisgay
01-17-2008, 03:52 PM
i got my manifold on tuesday after he shipped it on monday haha the thing looks great and he has excelent service highly recomended

WLKivett
01-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Are you opening the ports up to gasket size? I'm talking the intake not the exhaust manifold.

Can you weld? Are you planning any additional mods to the intakes besides porting?

Best Regards,
Landon Kivett

moparzrule
01-17-2008, 05:48 PM
It is gasket matched except the bottom of the port which is only opened slightly. The gasket goes way down so you don't port down that far because there's no way the head can be ported that much.
I don't have provisions to weld aluminum, but what did you have in mind?

moparzrule
01-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Pic of intake with gasket on it. You cannot tell in the pic, but the intake is the exact same size as the port on the 2 sides and the top. The intake is NOT larger than the gasket. I take the floor down about 3/16'' or so.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/Portedintake5.jpg

moparzrule
01-17-2008, 07:57 PM
i got my manifold on tuesday after he shipped it on monday haha the thing looks great and he has excelent service highly recomended

moparzrule
01-17-2008, 09:04 PM
I just had a person inquire about if I do T3 exhaust manifolds, and the answer is YES. I have no cores though so you have to send me yours first along with the gasket. But I charge $100 shipped to do a T3 manifold, it's more because the manifold is much harder (higher nickel content I guess) so it takes longer to do.
I have also done a TBI header before in case anybody was wondering that too. $95 shipped on a TBI header because of higher shipping since it weighs a lot more and is larger than a regular log manifold.

moparzrule
01-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Scheduling about 3 weeks out at the moment.

badandy
01-27-2008, 11:08 PM
I also wanted to post up that I've begun porting 1 piece intakes. I can do just the ports for $50 or ports+52mm throttle body opening for $75. $15 shipping within the USA, and you have to send me your core first.
No 2 piece service?

clarkwhoracing
01-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Matt my intake and manifold coming your way on Tuesday.

Thanks again for getting me in!

moparzrule
01-28-2008, 02:51 PM
No 2 piece service?

Sorry, not at this time.

moparzrule
01-28-2008, 02:55 PM

Sounds good Mike.

moparzrule
02-01-2008, 08:31 AM

Got your manifolds yesterday, getting to work right away!

moparzrule
02-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Scheduling 1 month out right now

clarkwhoracing
02-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Got my intake and exhaust yesterday and they look good.

Like the work on the exhaust especially.

Does good work and fast turn around.

:thumb:

moparzrule
02-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks Mike.

moparzrule
02-10-2008, 10:23 AM
People must have the spring itch for racing or something, now scheduling 1.5 months out! Sorry for the inconvenience!

moparzrule
02-12-2008, 09:09 PM
I had off work the last few days and did several manifolds (hand is shaky typing this LOL). So right now I caught up to being about scheduling 3 weeks out again.

moparzrule
02-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Scheduling 1 month out

moparzrule
03-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Now offering 2 piece intake porting services, prices in my sig.

badandy
03-02-2008, 11:12 PM
I know your porting work is well respected and you are always looking for was to improve your product...so it's great to see that you are offering this service now :clap:

moparzrule
03-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks. As soon as I get my own 2 piece ported up I'll be posting up pics of that too. There's a lot more involve in porting a 2 piece, hence the large price gap. But if you do your research you'll find that I'm quite a bit cheaper than others for this service.

badandy
03-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Thanks. As soon as I get my own 2 piece ported up I'll be posting up pics of that too. There's a lot more involve in porting a 2 piece, hence the large price gap. But if you do your research you'll find that I'm quite a bit cheaper than others for this service.
I don't doubt your work or your knowledge of your work. I was hoping you would provide this for awhile now.

Mr overkill
03-04-2008, 12:49 PM
his work is top notch i had him do a 2 piece for me yast year and the work was GREAT

MiniMopar
03-04-2008, 01:24 PM

Can you elaborate on what you do? The 2pc intakes have quite a few issues but a lot of potential.

moparzrule
03-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Can you elaborate on what you do? The 2pc intakes have quite a few issues but a lot of potential.

No problem.
Most of the work is on the lower half. The flange side that bolts to the head gets taken out to about 1/16'' in from the gasket size on the roof and sides, taken down about 1/8'' total on the floor. The floor is left rough around the injector area for better fuel atomization. The bumps in the runners cannot be taken out 100% unless you get the back welded, so basically I take down the bumps about 75% and round them off, basic blending.
Top of the lower half, I take that to about 1/8'' from the gasket except in the places where the upper half shows it needs to go all the way to the gasket. Every casting is different, so it's different for every intake. This area gets smoothed completely.
The upper half. The ports I just polish in the upper half, take out any sharp corners or whatnot. And of course the throttle body opening gets ported for 52mm throttle body and smoothed out as much as possible.

I have some pics of the lower half, didnt get to the upper quite yet.
I media blast the manifold if needed/desired. I will also blast this manifold again in the ports, kinda gives it a final polish, but if I did that the porting would not be as pronounced for the pics.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/lower1.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/Lower4.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/lower2.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/Lower3.jpg

MiniMopar
03-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Nice work. You definitely have the touch. I've tried my hand at porting, but I just don't have the patience for it.

The Pope
03-05-2008, 02:43 AM
questions. Why don't you cut the bumps down out of the runner?

http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1067

and why don't you polish the whole runner full length? The biggest pinch point in the intake is right there. Do you raise the roof at the injector? You need the cross sectional area the size of the intake port which they come close to without welding. I think you should add water pump housings to your list. A nice power increase and the engines cool better, they require about a 3/4" cut and then some blending. Pushing water is harder than pushing air and the water hits a big wall then has to go into a tiny hole with half the area of the whole in the block. Have fun porting lots of iron lol, I can't feel my hands for 3 hours after doing a V8 head. Lots of porting, concrete finishing and ACAD have killed my wrists. The hobby is growing, you and Tyler are going to be swamped this spring.

moparzrule
03-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Because the 2 piece intakes have less material behind the bumps, that pic you showed that manifold will probably crack. I take about 75% of the bump away. I don't take that chance of cracking, there's next to no gain in flow in taking them out any further than I did.
The part you are talking about, the pinch point, you cannot see but I did smooth it out. In runners 1-2, it's on the right side, and 3-4 it's on the left side. It was a really sharp curve, air almost hits a wall, that is now smoothed/rounded off and blended.
Can you show me this water pump mod? Any pics? I'd love to atleast do this to my own car and I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to offer it as a service.

1984rampage
03-05-2008, 03:17 PM
So what kind of gains will be had by getting one of your ported exhaust manifolds and a ported intake? I know there is no real dyno numbers but relatively what kinds of gains should you see?

minigts
03-05-2008, 04:00 PM
I too would like to see the water pump mod. Sounds interesting...

moparzrule
03-05-2008, 04:08 PM
So what kind of gains will be had by getting one of your ported exhaust manifolds and a ported intake? I know there is no real dyno numbers but relatively what kinds of gains should you see?

It depends 100% on your other mods. Send me a PM with the rest of your mods.

MiniMopar
03-05-2008, 04:09 PM
This is Matt's thread, but for stuff like this I feel the real gains come from what you can do with the increased VE, not so much from the increased flow alone. Sure, you could do back-to-back dyno runs swapping just the intake, but who cares? What you should be able to do is get a larger, more efficient turbo, a nice head, and make more power overall because of everything working together.

P.S. Matt...you should find a local outfit to do powder coating as well. Would be sweet to be able to get back a ported and shiney manifold. :)

denviola
03-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Got my second ported exhaust manifold from Matt, Thanks!
Very nice work indeed. Will be looking you up for a manifold for the third car soon, after I get caught up on wrenching.....
Thanks again!
Denny

moparzrule
03-06-2008, 07:35 AM
P.S. Matt...you should find a local outfit to do powder coating as well. Would be sweet to be able to get back a ported and shiney manifold. :)

I bought a media blaster, so I've been blasting the manifolds atleast and adding some black high temp paint. The HT paint probably won't last with the heat these engines put off, but atleast it's not all rusty and stuff when you get it.

Denny, thanks! Always a pleasure dealing with you!

MiniMopar
03-06-2008, 11:12 AM
That's cool....I was think more along the lines of the intakes though...

The Pope
03-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Because the 2 piece intakes have less material behind the bumps, that pic you showed that manifold will probably crack. I take about 75% of the bump away. I don't take that chance of cracking, there's next to no gain in flow in taking them out any further than I did.
The part you are talking about, the pinch point, you cannot see but I did smooth it out. In runners 1-2, it's on the right side, and 3-4 it's on the left side. It was a really sharp curve, air almost hits a wall, that is now smoothed/rounded off and blended.
Can you show me this water pump mod? Any pics? I'd love to atleast do this to my own car and I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to offer it as a service.

There are pics of different porting I've done on the PNW site. As for cracking the 2 piece? I have 6,000 abusive street miles on it before that pic. In other pictures you can see where I cooked my shield to it. They don't crack because they don't get heat abuse like the exhaust manifolds. I flow bench my manifolds to the head and there is is a little over a 13% increase in flow by increasing the cross sectional area vs a stock manifold. All of the flow increase to come closer to matching the heads flow is right there, but again on the flow bench. Hoping to get my plenum back soon so I can test the plenum and see how funneling the runners into the plenum help. So once the guy is done I'll have more on TD.com.

http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=631&g2_highlightId=1067

There are pictures of the ported water pump, but I spent 5 minutes doing the one I took photos of and it is nasty looking. I have a 655 to send out and some other work to show some more pictures of soon. Working on too many things at once and nothing is getting finished:mad: Basically you open the water pump housing all the way in the size of the hole in the block. There are 2 flat sides that shrink the hole down. Then cut around 3/4" deep and chamfer the opening, then blend it into a funnel. You chew right into the bolt hole, but there is more than enough there to keep it from leaking and to hold the pump. This is so horrid in making the water pressure back up / stack up trying to get water into the block that Gary Ds old coolent mod works. I also take the directional high flow stats and a 2.2 water neck and make them work. You cut a little over 1/16" off the stat to make the diameter smaller. Then you open the head 1/8" larger diameter than the back of the stat, then I add a small groove in the head for the bleed hole in the stat. The velocity of the coolent increases into the block instead of being stopped dead then falling into the block. Then my stat flows over twice what the tiny 2.2 stat flows, Most likely but untested, maxxes the hose?

Spend a little time making them pretty, maybe $50 +shipping. People will be adding power that makes the engine run cooler for a change :nod: I use a 3/8" tree non furrus 1/4" carbide with a 25,000 RPM Dewalt electric. Chews 1/8" of aluminum per second :hail: I'll never run air again, I burned up 3 air tools in a few years and they take 10 times longer. Love the Dewalt, like a hand held CNC machine :thumb:.

The Pope
03-06-2008, 12:48 PM
BTW I am not trying to hyjack you either, my posts sound like it though. I can't port all the time, my hands won't allow it. I do some porting in the winter for a little extra money, but mostly for locals. That exhaust manifold on the PNW is matched to the head and turbo and took less than a 1/2 hour. But it's like racing the clock with my hands, the Dewalt has saved me a lot. Too bad exhaust manifolds can't be aluminum lol.

moparzrule
03-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Again, I've taken away 75% of the bumps in the runner, and I've rounded off whats left. Perhaps the pics are decieving. This will still be a huge improvement over stock. I'd rather be safer than sorry. The part where you make very thin taking the bumps out is 1/4 to 1/2'' away from the exhaust manifold. It see's a lot of heat, and thermal cycling. Once again, the gain in flow over what I do is by far not worth it.
I must say you are pretty talented. 5 minutes for the water pump and 1/2 hour for the exhaust manifold. I spend about 2 hours on an exhaust manifold and an hour on a 1 piece intake, 1.5 hours on a 2 piece. Thats start the finish though, polished too. By the looks at what needs to be done to the water pump, might take me about 1/2 hour with all the polishing included.
I use an electric grinder also, 25K RPM, non-ferrous bits for aluminum and double cut carbide for the exhaust manifolds.

bradp
03-06-2008, 10:10 PM
How long on manifold right now?

moparzrule
03-07-2008, 07:28 AM
2 months :(

moparzrule
03-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Pics of ported upper half. Runner are only polished, TB opening ported and polished for 52mm TB.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/Upper1.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/Upper2.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/Upper3.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/Upper4.jpg

The Pope
03-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Again, I've taken away 75% of the bumps in the runner, and I've rounded off whats left. Perhaps the pics are decieving. This will still be a huge improvement over stock. I'd rather be safer than sorry. The part where you make very thin taking the bumps out is 1/4 to 1/2'' away from the exhaust manifold. It see's a lot of heat, and thermal cycling. Once again, the gain in flow over what I do is by far not worth it.
I must say you are pretty talented. 5 minutes for the water pump and 1/2 hour for the exhaust manifold. I spend about 2 hours on an exhaust manifold and an hour on a 1 piece intake, 1.5 hours on a 2 piece. Thats start the finish though, polished too. By the looks at what needs to be done to the water pump, might take me about 1/2 hour with all the polishing included.
I use an electric grinder also, 25K RPM, non-ferrous bits for aluminum and double cut carbide for the exhaust manifolds.

I've been porting since the 80s in high school. But speed all comes from an eye for it and 80% is tools tools tools. I used to spend 2 hours on a manifold when I had air tools, never again. I match port the manifold to the turbine and the head. Remove the bumps and open it at the #3 port. 3/8 tree, 1/2 stone, and then 120 grit paper, Dewalt goes through it like a chain saw through bread :thumb: Even with safety glasses I've still went to the hospitol 3 times for metal in my eyes, thing throughs the stuff over my head lol. Have you tried the 3/8" tree bit? I find that with that cutter shape I can go faster too, there is really 3 edges I can use with it.

Big thing though, go to TD and look in the general engine section and you'll see a quiky on a water pump housing. There easy and another good thing to port for people.

moparzrule
03-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Hmm, I use cylindrical radius end bit mostly. But with my electric die grinder I can push just about as hard as I want. I'd rather spend some extra time on a manifold than go to the hospital and waste 8 hours of my life. I don't know about where you live, but here you could go into the hospital with your arm attatched by 3 threads and they'll make you wait 2-3 hours in the waiting room, then they call you back and make you wait in that room for another 2 hours until the doctor sees you.
I don't use stones, I go right from the bit to 120 grit sanding rolls, works fine because I guess it's smoother to begin with after I'm done grinding with the carbide.

I don't know how many people will be interested in the water pump porting, I'll probably just do my own and be done with it. I'm porting for TU now, I can ask Chris if he wants me to offer water pump porting or not. If he does he does, if not, whatever.

navyboy65
03-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Hmm whats the wait like now??? I'd be want to do both manifolds off a TIII! What deal could you do for me on both + thermal coating on the exhaust?
seth@gfire.us

1984rampage
03-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Matt, do you still port on a side business or do we have to order it all from TU? Also are your prices gonna increase?

moparzrule
03-24-2008, 07:12 AM
It's gonna be all from TU. Pricing is up to chris, he has to make some profit! But I assure you it's still cheaper than any other vendor. If it isn't, let us know!
As for the thermal coating, I do not have facilities to do it. I media blast my manifolds and paint with high temp paint, but if you want to have somebody thermal coat it what I can do is leave it just media blasted and possibly even ship to whoever you want it done.
I have no idea who Chris uses for thermal coating, not my area. So you'll have to talk to him about it.
I do T3 exhaust manifolds, but I've never seen a T3 intake. I'm sure I would be able to port it, all the same principles apply to airflow for everything. But I have no idea how difficult it is, which is what I base my pricing off of.

moparzrule
04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Apparently chrysler improved the common block water pump housing quite a bit. The inlet up at the block is already round and the same size as the opening on the block. Down but the rotor, it doesn't have that flat spot, and I only had to mildy round off the inlet from the neck.
So I only had to slightly port it, I did the number 4 coolant mod on the car so I had the brass nipple sticking down in so I ground that nice and flat along with the rest.
I'll do comparison pics, before/after porting and then media blasting it really smoothed it all out.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/StockWP2.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/PortedWP1.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/StockWP3.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/PortedWP2.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/StockWP1.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/MBWP.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/MBWP2.jpg

moparzrule
04-07-2008, 11:47 AM
This was the area where the most metal was removed, and I forgot to mention that there was and area here which was a bump in the pathway I removed a alot of metal from to make it more of a straight path. I do not see that bump on the non-common block water pumps though.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/87wagon/StockWP22.jpg