PDA

View Full Version : 92' Taurus, any problem areas?

moparzrule
12-04-2007, 06:37 PM
My dad purchased a 92 taurus today, with the 3.0 V6 and auto trans. I think it's the LX model and it's fully loaded power everything. Basically he wanted something reliable and decent on fuel. EPA rates it at 20/29 city/highway, which crushed his 85' G20 chevy conversion van which gets like 10-12.
So my question is, is there any known common problems with these cars? Something to check and look out for?
It seems to be a really nice car, no rust and runs great. Not bad on power, nothing quick of course, but for him it's just fine. It looks like it could use a fresh tuneup which should help on the power. I looked up and it has 140 HP and 160 ft/lbs so it should have some getup and go. Fresh inspection, newer tires and nice alloy wheels. Just wanting to know any common problem area's so I can attack it before it happens for him. Thanks

cordes
12-04-2007, 06:43 PM
From what I can recall the motor mounts, transmissions, and HGs were all problems with them. I have seen a couple run forever though. I think that they were great cars, especially if you do your own work. ;)

moparzrule
12-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Cool. I plan on going over the engine and changing all the fluids and doing a tuneup for him, but I will check the mounts while I'm there.
I think problems with automatic FWD tranny's were just in every vehicle in the 80's and early 90's no matter what. Kinda like a roll of the dice chance whether or not you'll get a good one. He's not one to beat on it I can tell you that.
Thought I'd mention the odometer reads 69K, but it only has 5 digits so we don't know if it's rolled over or not. But I did stand in the back when he started it on the lot and it didn't smoke a lick, so I thought that was a good sign.

cordes
12-04-2007, 06:49 PM
I don't know exactly what goes wrong with the motor mounts, but I sure could hear the motor slamming around in the bay of my old roommate's partent's car back when. It was horrible. That car did take a beating like you would not believe and then come back for more though. :nod:

moparzrule
12-04-2007, 06:49 PM
hehe, nice :thumb:

raccoon
12-04-2007, 08:01 PM
I remember lots of people having tranny problems.

moparzrule
12-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Which years?

Anonymous_User
12-05-2007, 02:29 AM
Tranny problems. And more tranny problems.

I can't recall what year I had.... early 90's for sure. Bought it from a used car lot after a test drive. 20 mile drive home and the tranny went out. After a nice argument, the dealer replaced the tranny. Later that summer, the tranny went out. I had a reputable shop rebuild the tranny, they talked about some service bulletin issues that they would take care of inside the tranny. The following spring, the tranny went out. That time I was three blocks from a car dealer. Walked the three blocks and traded it in. Salesman took a trailer up the street and hauled it in. Needless to say, I lost my --- on that one.

My ex-brother-in-law had one. Tranny went out.

My nephew had one. Tranny went out.

Replacing the trannies is a PITA to say the least. The front subframe has to be dropped and in order to do that, part of the exhaust has to come out. That means broken bolts in the manifolds and a lot of time on your back under the car.

Hopefully someone can chime in with some good information on making one of these transmissions last for you.

Dodge Aries K
12-05-2007, 03:57 AM
The 3.0L V6 ford engine is a good engine. The AXOD transaxle sucks ---. Plan on maintaining the trans frequently (like 604) and it should last for a while.

jre97
12-05-2007, 02:21 PM
The 3.0L V6 ford engine is a good engine. The AXOD transaxle sucks ---. Plan on maintaining the trans frequently (like 604) and it should last for a while.

+1 I had a 90 with a 3.0v6. I never did anything but routine maintenance on the motor in 230000 miles. I did change the front motor mount a few times because the ps pump leaked and softened the rubber on the oil filled mount causing it to break. I did go through 4 trannys which led to the end of the car. The last tranny I put in it i converted to type F fluid and put a shift kit in it (transgo I think). I got at least 70000 hard miles out of an already used tranny.

t3rse
12-05-2007, 03:24 PM
"92' Taurus, any problem areas?"

yeah, it's a ford. sorry, had to...

Ondonti
12-05-2007, 04:02 PM
IMO the 3.0 taurus is nice to drive. the 3.8 sucks
I remember being 16 on a roadtrip to go camping with my grandma and cousins and I passed 3 cars at a time in the 3.0 loaded down wagon lol.

3.8's seem to have totally screwed up power steering systems too. It fights you and moves back and forth during high speed turns (like a simple curve on the freeway) rather then "assist"
Same thing on two different 3.8 cars.

My dad had good luck getting his transmission rebuilt at a "good" shop when it had problems around 120k miles

20w/ashelby
12-05-2007, 04:10 PM
IMO the 3.0 taurus is nice to drive. the 3.8 sucks
I remember being 16 on a roadtrip to go camping with my grandma and cousins and I passed 3 cars at a time in the 3.0 loaded down wagon lol.

3.8's seem to have totally screwed up power steering systems too. It fights you and moves back and forth during high speed turns (like a simple curve on the freeway) rather then "assist"
Same thing on two different 3.8 cars.

What 3.8 would you be talking about? I can't recall a taurus ever coming with a 3.8. Are you talking about the mustang 3.8?

To answer the original question, others are right....Transmission problems. Also I've seen quite a few power steering problems.

Ondonti
12-05-2007, 04:19 PM
What 3.8 would you be talking about? I can't recall a taurus ever coming with a 3.8. Are you talking about the mustang 3.8?

To answer the original question, others are right....Transmission problems. Also I've seen quite a few power steering problems.

Considering I replaced the headgaskets on a 3.8L taurus this summer Im going to have to disagree.
My dad has owned 2 3.8L taurus's and my brother now owns my grandma's 3.0L taurus
All between 1990 and 1993 model years.

3.0L is definitely the engine to have in your non awesome non SHO taurus. :D

moparzrule
12-05-2007, 05:40 PM
+1 I had a 90 with a 3.0v6. I never did anything but routine maintenance on the motor in 230000 miles. I did change the front motor mount a few times because the ps pump leaked and softened the rubber on the oil filled mount causing it to break. I did go through 4 trannys which led to the end of the car. The last tranny I put in it i converted to type F fluid and put a shift kit in it (transgo I think). I got at least 70000 hard miles out of an already used tranny.

How do you ''convert'' to Type F fluid? And what is the factory fill?

From my searching, the 3.8 was the optional engine which only had more torque, same HP. But the 3.0 gets better fuel mileage.

20w/ashelby
12-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Considering I replaced the headgaskets on a 3.8L taurus this summer Im going to have to disagree.
My dad has owned 2 3.8L taurus's and my brother now owns my grandma's 3.0L taurus
All between 1990 and 1993 model years.

3.0L is definitely the engine to have in your non awesome non SHO taurus. :D

Alright....My apoligies I wasn't thinking far enough back.

Ondonti
12-06-2007, 12:23 AM
How do you ''convert'' to Type F fluid? And what is the factory fill?

From my searching, the 3.8 was the optional engine which only had more torque, same HP. But the 3.0 gets better fuel mileage.

3.8 love to blow headgaskets. little bit worse mileage. Horrible power streering system.

I really like driving the 3.0 taurus. Plus it will certainly go easier on the transmission. The low end power of the 3.8 is basically unnoticable through the POS transmission. Its really really not fun to drive.

Mike M
12-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Upon the numerous issues that have been previously mentioned, one more funny thing about them... the 2 rear bolts which hold the from subframe to the body can pull through the body causing... well, major issues... the first thing you'll notice is the loud bang, and then the lack of steering. You better pull over fast and call a tow truck... if you can.

Why is this at all funny? Ford actually makes a REPAIR kit for this exact problem, I wonder how many times this has happened?

Turbodave
12-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Upon the numerous issues that have been previously mentioned, one more funny thing about them... the 2 rear bolts which hold the from subframe to the body can pull through the body causing... well, major issues... the first thing you'll notice is the loud bang, and then the lack of steering. You better pull over fast and call a tow truck... if you can.

Why is this at all funny? Ford actually makes a REPAIR kit for this exact problem, I wonder how many times this has happened?

Wasn't sure if the 92's still had that problem. If it does happen it's a warranty issue the dealers will take care of. My unce had that happen a couple years ago on a 90 Taurus. I remember following him to the dealership so he could drop it off. Car wasn't very easy to drive with the subframe hanging out in the back, but he managed to muscle it around enough to go the couple miles to the dealership.

moparzrule
12-06-2007, 08:38 PM
I just know a lot of stuff did change in 92, not sure if that was one of them...

moparzrule
12-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Do the trannies in these cars have ''bands'' you adjust like the chrysler trannies? If not what maintenance do they require besides regular fluid and filter changes?

LANCER#319
12-13-2007, 07:23 PM
I had a '92 Taurus with the 3.0L and Automatic transmission. The transmission is an AXOD-E, not the AXOD of prior years. The transmission is a weak point for some, but I changed my fluid and filter every 20,000 miles and didn't do anything stupid like neutral drops and overspins and my AXOD-E lasted 280,000 miles and is still going. It shifts perfectly! The only real problem is a design flaw that puts the transmission in neutral when trying to do a high g high speed turn. Every Taurus does this with the exception of the 2008 models.

The 3.0L is bulletproof, the only real problem with the 3.0L is that the idle air valve likes to stick from time to time and needs a good cleaning. The higher the mileage, the higher the oil consumption like any engine. Mine at 280,000 miles liked to consume 1 quart of oil every 1,500 miles. I was never worried about this though as the car ran smooth as silk.

Early built '92 models had a software flaw with the ECUs that is only correctable with a new ECU that does not exist anymore. It effects cold start and if not repaired with the new ecu, you have to let the car sit idling for a good 2-3 minutes before taking off. Since I couldn't get the new ECU, I bought a remote starter and solved the problem. This was beneficial as I also got in a warm car during the winter.

The power window/lock switches like to collect dirt and debris which causes no or intermittent operation of those features. It is simple to remove the switches and clean them and voila the power locks and windows work again.

That is the only real persistent things that I ever had with my Taurus. The car is comfortable, cheap to maintain, great on gas(25-30MPG), and can haul an enormous amount of people and gear. I used the car twice to move in!

Even though the specs on the motor output show promise, it is actually quite slow because the car is just heavy due to its size. However, I was able to overtake a friend who was traveling at 108MPH. Who knows how fast I was going as my speedo stopped at 85 LOL. I have to admit though, it took a long long long time to get up to speed.

Brakes are a weak point if you are a heavy braking type of person. The rotors are way undersized and getting larger rotors from a SHO is a must if you are the type to make frequent hard stops. In hard driving they like to fade quickly and the rotors have a high risk for warping. I just drove the car keeping this in mind and never had a problem with the brakes.

The body is a strong point. Mine spent its entire life in Michigan and was used daily from new. Even at 280,000 miles I could only find one spot of surface rust the size of a quarter on a wheel flare. The underside is perfectly rust free. Just amazing.

My sister drives it now that I am away and she reported that it has 330,000 miles on it and still going strong. No problems whatsoever. This is all on the original engine and transmission which has never been rebuilt. This car will never die I tell you!

I loved my Taurus and miss it.

My Taurus when it had a mere 280,000 miles:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/92TGL/BLINGY.jpg

The 3.8L versions were not so good though. The head gaskets liked to blow and the increase in power was not good for the transmission. I would avoid a 3.8L Taurus like the plague.

moparzrule
12-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the info. Yeah it's the 3.0 and my dad is getting older so he drives a lot slower. It has plenty of power for him, he'll probably never even floor it.
The AIS was brand new looking when we bought it, so thats one thing down LOL.
Thanks again.

Aries_Turbo
12-13-2007, 09:33 PM
talk to "somedude" on www.nyspeed.com if you want info on how to make a taurus auto handle power. he has a turbo SHO auto and i think he has finally got the trans to stay together. :)

Brian

PS youll prolly have to register if you want to contact him. im reliant_turbo on there.

ShelbyTurbo
01-09-2008, 07:19 PM
The oil pan gaskets like to fail on the 3.0's, I've had to do several.

The worst part about the whole thing is removing the exhaust from the manifolds, without heat you're screwed.

The transmissions have a habit of dieing a painful, premature death, though that was mentioned already.

The 3.0 is a strong motor, which was also previously mentioned. They just don't die.

They like to eat ball joints, and radiator replacement is a pain in the ---.

Other then that, they're ok, for a Ford.

moparzrule
01-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Other then that, they're ok, for a Ford.

LOL, I here ya on that.

BTW, anybody know of anything common going wrong with the ABS system? The other day my brother was driving it and he said the car did not want to stop, thinking it's the ABS system. But I'm not sure what component it could be, hopefully not the control unit I looked that up and it's like $200-300.

RoadWarrior222
01-12-2008, 06:30 PM
LOL, I here ya on that.

BTW, anybody know of anything common going wrong with the ABS system? The other day my brother was driving it and he said the car did not want to stop, thinking it's the ABS system. But I'm not sure what component it could be, hopefully not the control unit I looked that up and it's like $200-300.

Crap on the wheel sensor could do that. I think it's number 15 on my top 100 reasons why I hate ABS.

Ondonti
01-12-2008, 06:46 PM
ABS problems on my dads 92.
Tried a few different ABS computers and that didnt help. (thats what someone else had suspected)

So no ABS but the car still seems to stop fine for the last few years.

moparzrule
01-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Wait so if I just unhook the ABS computer is disables it and the brakes functions normal?

Aries_Turbo
01-12-2008, 07:08 PM
usually

moparzrule
01-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Well thats a lot better than not being able to stop on a normal basis rather than knowing that if you are on ice it will just lock up. Besides, my dad has never had a car that had ABS anyway so he's fine with not having it anyway!
Just to make sure I unplug the correct thing, were is the ABS computer located exactly?

Directconnection
01-12-2008, 08:28 PM
The blue oval on the front of the hood is the biggest problem area.

On a serious note, I personally think they are junk. My friend's salvage yard was littered with them that appeared to be in there before their time should have expired. A good friend bought one and had stuff go bad right away and traded it in on a Lumina (which has been decent to him)

A co-worker has a 2001 which has 200,000 on the clock and seems to be a decent car for him even though he doesn't maintain it at all. He had all 4 coils break and sag, yet still drove it 1 hour to work each way every day. Guy was too lazy to fix it, and instead, put tires on it every 6 months. Spark plugs keep unscrewing themselves and popping out. Plus, the guy doesn't check the oil. He waits until it starts taping:confused: Let's just say the guy drinks alot and has his priorities.

Directconnection
01-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Crap on the wheel sensor could do that. I think it's number 15 on my top 100 reasons why I hate ABS.

ABS issue on my Intrepid was due to the trigger wheel thing on my left CV axle. It had deteriorated enough that it cracked and wasn't fitting tightly on the CV housing. When stopping or going it would not rotate in sync with the actual wheel and cause the abs to get goofy.

moparzrule
01-12-2008, 08:33 PM
The blue oval on the front of the hood is the biggest problem area.

LMAO, hey I agree with you there. But I didn't buy it!

I heard the 92-95 was the best year taurus even to date though. But I understand thats not saying much.

RoadWarrior222
01-12-2008, 10:32 PM
If you're sitting astride the Ford fence WRT to buying a Taurus, either fall off on the side of the Crown Vic, or fall off on the side of Contour, but stay where you are and your balls are gonna end up crushed.

moparzrule
01-12-2008, 10:49 PM
It's not me it's my dad's car.

Aries_Turbo
01-12-2008, 11:40 PM
when a taurus ends up in the JY its usually cause its either totaled or the trans is bad.

Brian

moparzrule
01-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Or from what I hear a 3.8 with a blown headgasket.

Aries_Turbo
01-13-2008, 12:39 AM
yeah that 3.8L is kinda crappy.

at a JY i used to go to alot in college in PA, there were quite a few taurus SHO's..... all of them were mangled pretty bad minus 1... it had a blown trans. :)

Brian

Ondonti
01-13-2008, 02:46 AM
Wait so if I just unhook the ABS computer is disables it and the brakes functions normal?

My dads ABS computer was never disconnected.......some shop claimed it was the computer having problems but swapping didnt help. Never noticed any problems with breaking and I just assume the ABS is doing nothing. The light sure doesnt want to go off ever. My dad just blocked it out because he didnt want to remove the bulb (he likes the light reminding him so he can feel guilty and every once in awhile thing about fixing it).

on driving them.....
Taurus with 15" alloys is much nicer to drive then one with the 14's IMO.

moparzrule
01-13-2008, 07:58 AM
Yeah his has the 15's, it drives nice. And BTW, I don't know if he's got a really rare GL model but when we pulled off the rear wheels we were shocked that it has rear disc brakes!!!

Aries_Turbo
01-13-2008, 05:59 PM
yeah that was an option i think... the 96+ all had rear discs but they went back to drums on the 01 or somewhere around there.

the sho had vented discs on the back... the fronts were still way too small though. 10.2"....

why would the 14's be a deficit? i mean i had 16's with 225/55/16 tires on mine but for the winter i ran 14" steelies with 205 70 14 tires and they performed just fine.... they did spin endlessly when i hammered it but the regular taurus doesnt have quite the power of the sho.

Sometimes I still wish i had my sho. they arent drag cars by any means.... i think the fastest is in the 12s or something like that. but they are very good highway travel car. with superchargers and turbos they are great highway bruisers. gearing with the rev limit increased to the motors limit (8500rpms) is close to 200 and they reach 180 quite easily with a blower as the aerodynamics are quite good. problem is that there is no gearbox that can reliably take the beating.

Brian

Ondonti
01-14-2008, 02:29 AM
In a big taurus wagon the 15's are a huge difference to the 14's

just like an AA body is 10x more stable feeling with 15's then 14's
Try going from a 195/75r14 (tires my spirit originally had which are about 25.6" tall) to a 225/60r15 (also 25.6" tall) and the ride difference is huge. Obviously the 14's will be more cushy is thats what you like.