PDA

View Full Version : My car is in the parking lot bleeding...

Subliminal
12-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Well, I actually managed to drive my TD to work EVERY DAY for a WHOLE WEEK before an issue.

This morning, I get to the light right by my job and smoke is coming from under the hood.

I get to work and more smoke. I kill the engine and open the hood and there is oil EVERYWHERE! Thick, nasty, black oil.

Luckily I parked right in the front of the parking lot...*BLUSH*

Anyway, it turns out the oil seal on the opposite side of the head from the pulley popped out a little and oil was spewing everywhere.

I pushed it back in, but it isn't going to stay.

I'm sure this is a semi common problem, so I figured I'd run over my idea for fixing it, and maybe get a little constructive feedback.

At lunch I'm going to get a ride to the auto parts store. On my list is:

Oil
RTV
Brake Parts Cleaner
Paper Towels

I plan to clean stuff off
Make sure the seal is seated correctly
Silicon the crap out of it
Refill oil
Drive it home 4 hrs later

Seem like a plan?

At least my engine didn't seize like last time I had oil issues...HA!

overlordsshadow
12-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Don't see why this won't work. I've done it before. Just hope you don't have serious blowby or something that might make it pop out again.

JDAWG
12-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Damon this happened to me on the interstate, the plug popped out and ran all the oil out of the engine. Well I didnt catch it and now that car has a bad knock in the bottom end. Get a silicone made for engine oil, not the normal rtv that you use for transmission and differentials. Oh, and take the old plug with you, they will probably have 2 listed.

Subliminal
12-03-2007, 09:59 AM
I was actually planning on just using the old plug, as it's still there, just not tight anymore...it was at a 45 degree angle in the hole when i popped the hood.

JDAWG
12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
You could if you wanted i guess. They usaully pop out because they are the wrong size or old. When I put mine in I dont use any silicone and they dont leak.

Subliminal
12-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Roger that....I'll see if advance auto has some. ;)

THANKS!

Subliminal
12-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Stupid question: What the freak is that seal called?

Camshaft Rear Oil Seal...NM...found it. My brain is actually mush these days. :(

JDAWG
12-03-2007, 10:25 AM
I always called it the cam plug

overlordsshadow
12-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Cam button! hehe

envyyourethics
12-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Had this same thing occur when i droped the first motor in the aries wagon, first start thought why the heck is there this much smoke, well when 3 quarts of oil spill on the exaust manifold, smoke occurs.:nod:

My problem was the wrong size plug, make sure to check.

Turbodave
12-03-2007, 11:05 AM
I reccomend putting in a new plug, and do not use silicone or RTV on it, those types of sealants will just make it come out easier.

What I typically do is coat the seal with a little Indian Head gasket sealer, that will make sure that it's going to take a lot of work to get it out next time.

Clay
12-03-2007, 11:08 AM
that will make sure that it's going to take a lot of work to get it out next time.

for both on purpose and accidental removal! ;)

tryingbe
12-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Anaerobic sealer works fine.

Subliminal
12-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks, guys...I'll give it a good shot here at lunchtime and hope for the best on my drive home. ;)

JDAWG
12-03-2007, 12:31 PM
last one i did I just put a blunt edge against it and tapped it in with a hammer, didnt take anything apart lol, still not leaking

Subliminal
12-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Well, the website lied and they didn't have the cap so I cleaned up mine and put gasket sealant all over the end (the red thick stuff) and stuffed it back in there. It was hard to get back in, went in all the way, and I've got a few hours before I need to drive it again, so hopefully it'll be good to go. I'll just pull off a couple of times on the way home to make sure.

:)

Subliminal
12-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Well, she made it home, but not in good repair...lol.

This weekend I was trying to trace down my oil leak and i figured it needed a catch can system. I built one, but I think I made the 'exhaust' hole from the catch can too small, which builds up pressure in the system and blows out the cam cap.

That's my theory at any rate.

But I digress.

I left work, accidentally went into boost one time, went 2 miles up the road and the cap was sitting 1/2 in the hole and 1/2 leaning on the TB cable bracket.

So, I put it back in, added oil, and proceeded to drive in vacuum.

A few miles later i checked and it was still in, so i did that all the way home....only had to add a few more quarts on my 12 mile drive.

Anyway, I'm awaiting a new cap right now, so hopefully that and a bigger hole in the catchcan lid will solve the problem....if not, that car is BACK off the road again...I mean, 1 week driving for sitting a year isn't bad, right?

Right?! ;)

JDAWG
12-04-2007, 10:07 AM
it might just be old, damon what year is your car? I would honestly buy one from the dealership

Subliminal
12-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Well, the car is an 86, but the engine is an 88 with unknown miles that i bought from another member here.

I ordered one from the local part store, but maybe dealer issue would be better.

I rolled in Nissan Sentra style this morning, though...grin

JDAWG
12-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Damon it should be a pn 4343903, aftermarket may be able to cross it.

Subliminal
12-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks, homie!

Turbodave
12-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Don't use that red RTV stuff on the new one either, it actually makes it more likely to come out than nothing at all. It does sound that your Crankcase venting system is a likely contributor to the problem.

magtec
12-06-2007, 03:59 AM
been there, done that, got the turbo-mopar.com t-shirt. it happened to my black '87 gts. luckily i parked the car right after the seal fell out. didn't even notice until i was walking back to the car and saw the huge oil puddle underneath it. stuck the plug back in, jammed something between the head and the airbox (log 2.2 TI) and drove it home.

Subliminal
12-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Well, she's fixed and on the road again...and no damage done. I fixed my catch can system and put a new plug in and did some 17 psi rips through the gears, checked it out, and put the GTS back on daily driver status.

Aries_Turbo
12-10-2007, 06:19 PM
small wood block is a wonderful thing. wedge it between the cap and the throttle body bracket. :) permanent safeguard solution. :)

Brian

mock_glh
12-10-2007, 06:48 PM
I made a piece of metal that attaches to the throttle cable bracket and holds the plug in place. Frequent piston cracking and the resulting massive blowby led me to this solution.:thumb: