PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Valve Cover Part #'s

csx452
11-30-2007, 02:22 PM
I'd like the part numbers for the Shelby valve covers. 87/88 vs. 89
What are the physical differences between the 2 styles?
Thanks in advance,
Frank H.

tryingbe
11-30-2007, 02:58 PM
89 = 1 piece valve cover gasket.
87/88 = 4 pieces valve cover gasket.

Both are on Ebay currently.

csx452
11-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks, but I know the gasket differences. What are the actual physical differences? The reason I'm asking is that I have a Shelby valve cover from my 87 CSX with a broken corner. I'd like to get an 89 valve cover. Mine is the same part number as the one on ebay, but I can't see any difference between my broken one and the valve cover I have off an 86 GLHS. I'd hate to buy the one on ebay anf find out it was really from an 87.
Frank

cordes
11-30-2007, 07:39 PM
They all work the same.

DC Turismo
11-30-2007, 08:23 PM
86 GLHS' did not come equipped with Shelby valve covers. To my knowledge there is no physical difference in appearance between the two other than the gasket differences that has been mentioned. No one would be able to tell as long as you didn't bring it up lol...

Do you still have the piece that broke off though? You can get those welded back together from the underside and you can't even tell its been broke :thumb:

csx452
11-30-2007, 09:07 PM
86 GLHS' did not come equipped with Shelby valve covers. To my knowledge there is no physical difference in appearance between the two other than the gasket differences that has been mentioned. No one would be able to tell as long as you didn't bring it up lol...

I know the 86 GLHS didn't come with one. They have a turbo valve cover with a Shelby plaque on them. I was looking for differences in the gasket surface to see if the Shelby valve cover I have is an 89 or not. The gasket surfaces look the same, so I'm assuming the Shelby is an 87/88. If you use a 1 piece gasket on the older style valve cover you will break it. I want to get an 89 Shelby valve cover so I can use the 1 piece gasket. It is so much easier to deal with that the older type. There were 2 different Shelby valve cover auctions on ebay today. One said it was an 87/88 valve cover, and the other said it was an 89 valve cover. They both had the same part number on them. I didn't want to buy the 89 and find out it was really an 87/88 valve cover. That would suck big time especially if I found out by breaking it with the wrong gasket. If someone knows the part number for the 89 it would confirm if the valve cover was really an 89 or not.
Frank

cordes
11-30-2007, 09:22 PM
You should be able to tell just by looking. If you post up a like to the auctions we could tell you which was which. Also, I don't think that you would break the VC by using a one piece gasket on a two piece gasket cover, but it won't seal right.

I believe that one of the guys was posting about a two piece kit he picked up that had two rubber pieces for the front and back rather than the cork they usually have in there. I would normally just use RTV like normal, but you might try to find one like that and give it a try. It would be a lot cheaper than an 89' shelby VC.

csx452
11-30-2007, 10:26 PM
You should be able to tell just by looking. If you post up a like to the auctions we could tell you which was which. Also, I don't think that you would break the VC by using a one piece gasket on a two piece gasket cover, but it won't seal right.

I believe that one of the guys was posting about a two piece kit he picked up that had two rubber pieces for the front and back rather than the cork they usually have in there. I would normally just use RTV like normal, but you might try to find one like that and give it a try. It would be a lot cheaper than an 89' shelby VC.

I have the older style one on my car now, and it is a PITA to get the silicone off when you need to pull the valve cover. That's why I'm looking for an 89. The auction link for the 89 ended with buy it now, but here is the link. The other auction doesn't show the gasket surface of the valve cover at all.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250193718991&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015
Thanks,
Frank

cordes
11-30-2007, 11:02 PM
It is actually pretty hard to tell with that pic. I might try to take some pics while I am out in the garage tomorrow fixing my GFs water pump rather than hunting. :mad:

BadAssPerformance
11-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Did someone ask for valvecover ID tech? ;)

http://www.badassperformance.com/mtech/valvecover_id.html

cordes
11-30-2007, 11:45 PM

Sweet JT! That saved me a lot of work, as I was going to put a less detailed version of that together tomorrow after I worked out the the garage all day. :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
11-30-2007, 11:46 PM
This question used to come up all the time! :thumb:

csx452
12-01-2007, 12:46 AM

What do they say? A picture is worth a thousand words? The pics on your site tell the tale. It appears that the valve cover sold on ebay today is not an 89. I still don't know what the correct part number is for the 89, but I now do know the correct one for the 87/88 one. The 2 valve covers on ebay, and the broken one in my basement all share the same part number. The one in my basement is clearly marked 87 88 89.
Thanks,
Frank H.

BadAssPerformance
12-01-2007, 02:00 AM
There are several part numbers actually

These P/N's are samples, there are more P/N's available with different years

...and the "Shelby" valve covers have "CS" part numbers too.

csx452
12-01-2007, 11:51 AM
There are several part numbers actually

...and the "Shelby" valve covers have "CS" part numbers too.

Thanks JT. The main thing is that I know what to look for now. Even without the part number, I know exactly how to tell the difference between the early and late valve covers.
Frank

BadAssPerformance
12-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Cool :thumb:

slasky
12-01-2007, 02:30 PM
I used a one piece gasket on a 4 piece style VC. It worked for a while but ended up popping the gasket out of the back. It was great while it lasted. I had it RTVed to the VC and it was nice to just be able to pop the VC on and off and not have to RTV it each time.

DC Turismo
12-01-2007, 03:13 PM
How about on the two piece style gasket one I have, it says 85 on the back left corner (according to the ID site posted that's the casting date?) and then 86 in the middle on the back lip. If they began making them that early why the heck didn't they put them on the Omni GLHS?

BadAssPerformance
12-01-2007, 04:28 PM
these are die cast and I would suspect a multi-cavity die cast mold was used. They probably just modified one of the "turbo" cavities to be a "shelby" cavity instead and never changed the dates.