PDA

View Full Version : Working on the Rampage finally...

Turbodave
11-29-2007, 12:55 PM
I moved my 83 Rampage from my storage building to my driveway last night and now I've got the bug to finally swap a turbo drivetrain into it and start driving it come spring. I've had this truck since 2001 and I drove it during the summer of 01, parked it that fall and haven't touched it since other than to move it out of the way 100 times.

http://www.boostbarn.com/files/mvc_318fsm.jpg

I had planned on going nuts and doing a full resto on the truck, but I'm thinking that for the time being, I'll just get the mechanical bits taken care of and get it running so I can enjoy it a little instead of having a trailer queen.

So here's my plan of attack:
Remove the perfect running 89 2.2 TII from the minivan, put a good 2.5 TI that I've got back into the van for the time being. Install the 89 TII into the Rampage and convert it to a manual trans. I've got at least one of every style transmission to choose from, so I guess I'll flip a coin to decide what it gets. The engine has a new clutch on it, so I'll probably stick with a small spline trans either way.

The 83 dash will come out of the truck and one from an 88 Horizon will go in. The engine harness from an 89 Daytona TII will be spliced together with the 88 Horizon TBI harness to make a factory looking electrical system. Will run an 89 TII computer initially, probably with +20's and the boost around 17-18psi, this truck should be a blast to drive with that power.

Of course there a few little things I'll need to do like swap fuel tanks and modify the K-frame, find a pair of axles from a TBI omni etc...

The great thing is I've got 90% of the parts I need for this project, so really it won't cost me anything but time. Hopefully I can get the motiviation to do this over the winter and be driving the truck again come spring.

jaysshelby
11-29-2007, 01:24 PM
All I can say Dave is you are doing it right. Mine is a blast and the confused looks you get from people are hilarious.

mcsvt
11-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Sounds like a plan Dave. Can't wait to see the progress.

BadAssPerformance
11-29-2007, 02:57 PM
In that red it will look good on pumpers next to your Shadow ;)

Turbodave
11-29-2007, 03:08 PM
In that red it will look good on pumpers next to your Shadow ;)

I will probably throw the 15" pumpers that are currently on the neon on it this weekend when I swap the snows onto the neon. Of course I still have to swap the rear brakes to 5 lug :o . Fronts have been done for a long time.

Clay
11-29-2007, 04:09 PM
hey, what about the shadow?! Shouldn't you finish it before starting a new project ;)

Turbodave
11-29-2007, 05:41 PM
hey, what about the shadow?! Shouldn't you finish it before starting a new project ;)

:lol: That's not how I roll. Incomplete and half started projects are my trademark.

Actually the Shadow is coming along nicely and it will be sharing the garage with the Rampage this winter so I can work on both.

blk86trbo
11-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Sounds awesome Dave, can't wait to see it in person. In fact, maybe I can help you wrench on it...only it would have to be on a day other than Fri Sat or Sun.

I thought the GLHT was sharing the garage with the Shadow? Which I might add is looking very nice also!

johnl
11-29-2007, 09:49 PM
:lol: That's not how I roll. Incomplete and half started projects are my trademark.

Uuuh, excuse me.:evil:

I am the owner of that trademark! And . . . . I will be sending you a bill for its use.:lol: :D

2.216VTurbo
11-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Sweet, another turbo Rampage prowling the streets:thumb:

Turbodave
11-30-2007, 01:41 AM
Sounds awesome Dave, can't wait to see it in person. In fact, maybe I can help you wrench on it...only it would have to be on a day other than Fri Sat or Sun.

I thought the GLHT was sharing the garage with the Shadow? Which I might add is looking very nice also!

Hey Paul, of course weekends are the only free time I get, but maybe I'll take a day off sometime this winter. The garage is heated and your help is always welcome.

The GLHT is going north for the winter, putting it in the barn alongside the rest of my collection and my buddy's vette. It's hard to work in the garage when there are two cars with nice paint, too much risk of scratching something. Plus I want to be able to leave a car outside occasionally in case I need to work on the neon or anything else.

neonjoep
12-16-2007, 03:44 AM
you are insane with all these projects. Although you remind me alot of myself. I think it would be cool to see all of them done some day.

jaysshelby
12-17-2007, 12:11 AM
post some pics when you start tearing into it.

Turbodave
12-17-2007, 12:44 PM
post some pics when you start tearing into it.

Right now it's buried in snow sitting on the trailer in front of the garage. I need to re-arrange a few cars in the storage barn so I can get my GLH up there and free up space in the garage. Unfortunately the weather hasn't been to cooperative in the last few weeks, so I don't think there will be any progress until after the holidays.