PDA

View Full Version : Slow alky pump

Dave
11-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Bought a base alky kit from DevilzOwn over the summer. Gave me few problems, only been related to wiring on my part. Anyway 21psi and no alky was coming on. Redo all the wiring on it, soldered all the joints and wrapped them. I try jumping the relay with the battery supply to the pump's positive wire and I can hear the pump coming on very faint and there is only a dribble of alky coming out.

Thought perhaps the line was kinked or something, unplug the entire line past the pump and still just dribbles out the pump. It's not coming on hard enough to even push the alky upwards if I held the line straight up.

So I also thought maybe I had too much resistance somewhere, like I soldered a joint like an idiot or something, so I just cut the soldered joints apart and spliced them in a twisted pair like I had before. Same results.

Any help?

csxtra
11-28-2007, 06:26 PM
If you have eliminated the controller or any other electrical issues, and you have verified that the feed line to the pump is not blocked and is getting a sufficient flow of liquid, my guess is that the pump itself has a problem.

What liquid were you running through the pump; water/alky mix, or straight methanol?

Does Devil's Own modify the Shurflo pump to be 100% methanol compatible? If not, it is very possible that straight alky has caused some of the rubber parts inside the pump to swell. I would check with Devil's Own to see if they will warranty the pump or rebuild it.

guyd_15
11-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Ditto on the supply to the pump.

Is the spray nozzle clear?

What's the pressure setting?

Some Shurflo 8000 series pumps have an internal bypass, if the pressure setting is low it will bypass internally.

Guy

Xtrempickup
11-29-2007, 12:07 AM
my Devils own i hooked right up and didnt even adjust the pump or anything and its having no problem spraying. maybe you got a bad pump? the lights are lit up correctly, thats right you dont have it all installed with the controller do you? it has trouble shooting instructions included with the kit

zin
11-29-2007, 01:49 AM
I'll go with either a bad pump, or one that isn't adjusted to the proper pressure. If you look at the end of the pump that has the hose connections, you'll notice an adjusting screw. If its not screwed in very far, that is likely the problem. The pumps that I'm familiar with cycle a set of contacts on that end of the pump to control the pressure, that's what the screw adjusts, a higher tension on the screw holds it one longer giving a higher pressure. Anyway, if adjusting the screw doesn't do it, or if it still seems funky, have them get you a new pump. Another .02 well spent(?) :D

Mike

tvanlant
11-30-2007, 01:30 PM
I had a similar problem with my DevilsOwn kit. Mine would have little spurts every once in a while, but would just drizzle out the end of the tube most of the time. I called them and he said it was probably the pump sucking in air since those push together fittings don't seal very well.

The line going into the pump was not a directly straight shot into the pump, it turned down pretty steeply to the alky container, and was not sealing, so it was pulling in air right at the pump. I made some slack for all the lines to go straight into the fittings and they sealed up. Now it works good.

Speedeuphoria
12-01-2007, 09:49 AM
does it have a check valve?

turbovanmanČ
12-02-2007, 02:36 AM
Are you sure you wired it up correctly?

Try hooking the red and black wires directly to the battery to test the pump. Also, make sure the pump suction hose isn't plugged up or kinked etc.

Dave
12-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks for your help guys. I did some circuit tests and found .8 ohms on the entire circuit, and a voltage drop of 1 volt from the battery to pump ground. Replaced the pump, now all is well.

Just to note for others, pump location and rigidity are huge factors when determining its life. Mine wasn't secured properly and the vibrations from the engine traveled through the mounts and of coure out through the entire body causing the pump to die.

I'm relocating the pump and tank both in the center console sometime soon.

bfarroo
12-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Did you use the rubber isolation bushings withthe pump? That should reduce any vibrations that would damage the pump.