PDA

View Full Version : 95 T&C Caravan quirks

blk86trbo
11-27-2007, 10:10 AM
A couple questions here, and I'd appreciate any advice.

There appears to be a random issue with the automatic tranny. Occasionally it starts from a stop in 2nd gear, and won't shift out of it. Although the last time I went for a spin, things appeared fine and the trans shifted as it should. Torque converter and pan filter have been recently changed.

Also, would someone please tell me how to disable the automatic door locks that activate when you achieve 10 mph?

lametec
11-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Being stuck in 2nd gear means it's in limp-in mode. The tranny controller detected something amiss, and went into limp-in mode so you can get it to service without frying the tranny.

A code reader that reads tranny codes will tell you what the tranny controller thinks is wrong.

Oh, and to get it to shift normally again, just turn the key to off for a couple seconds then back to on (no need to stop the car even). Chances are it'll shift fine until the next stop.

RoadWarrior222
11-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Although there's myriad issues with A604s, there's one little wrinkle from around the 95-96 erra that might save you some grief. There's a wiring splice under the vehicle that gets corroded and flaky. Cleaning that up can cure a whole bunch of erratic behaviour. Not exactly sure what it connects to but it's some part of the transmission electrics.

What fluid does it have now? If it's not ATF+4 drain it and put that in.

If this is an A670, it's probably something sticking in the valve body. Type of fluid shouldn't matter as much, but it is meant to be "nicer" on ATF +3 or +4

blk86trbo
11-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks lametec and Roadwarrior! I'll check that wiring first chance I have, but restarting the van seems to do the trick for now. Like I said, it only happens once in a while, and appears to show up more often when it's cold. Tranny has fresh oil, and it's either +3 or +4, not sure which.

Hopefully I find a corroded wire like was mentioned...thanks again!