PDA

View Full Version : 7K mile CSX VNT, new wing design

CoolV300C
11-26-2007, 12:25 PM
I was driving down the road in an area I hardly ever go, and saw a CSX VNT being worked on in a body shop. I am looking for someone to do some paint/body work, so I figured I would turn around and check them out. The car they were restoring was a 7,000 mile CSX that had been sitting for a while in South Beach, and was being restored due to some beach rust. The rear spoiler must have been broken, so they had to order a new one, and the one they got from Kaminari came with an LED brake light. Thought I'd post a pic because I have not heard anyone talk about the rear wing. I know the front piece on their website shows the NACA ducts but does not really come with them. And it appears the rear wing is shown as original, but comes with the light.

Turbodave
11-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Interesting, that's the first time I've seen one with the LED brake light.

DC Turismo
11-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Same here. You sure the shop didn't fab that up themselves?

What # is the car, and what else did you see about the features of the car (recaros? fiberides? all Shelby items?)

CoolV300C
11-26-2007, 01:06 PM
I asked about the wing, the guy working on it said they had to order it from Kaminari. Since he knew the name of the only place it was available, I think he was right on. Also, if you look close, you can see where it is formed into the wing.

It had recaros, and I think all shelby items. the badges were off for painting though. Looked pretty sharp, but the inside was dirty.

ShadowFromHell
11-28-2007, 10:28 AM
if that is there tape job, please dont take your car there.

cordes
11-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Perhaps the changed the wing for the same reason they did the front facia?

The Pope
12-03-2007, 12:50 AM
for one I was thinking of adding that LED to my wing to remove the lame 3rd brake the government made Shelby add.

Mostlikely most people that even want the front air dam at all want one that looks like a CSX air dam so they changed it.

The rear wing looks sweet

The Pope
12-03-2007, 12:51 AM
if that is there tape job, please dont take your car there.

house paint tape is sweet huh :clap:

TopDollar69
12-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Please read this thread for the lowdown on the Kaminari pieces.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7/f29/69703-89-csx-bumper-cover-needed.html

As you will see, the new fiberglass wing and front cover that they make are actually reproductions of the blown plastic originals.

CoolV300C
12-20-2007, 11:08 PM
The original rear wing was fiberglass too. I had a cracked one once, so I know about that.

I called them this week to see if I could order a wing with the LED brake light. They told me they only had the one without it, and even checked the mold to confirm it did not have a light.

So I went to the body shop I saw that spoiler at, and they showed me the receipt from Kaminari for it to get me the part number. I haven't called them yet, but it would appear it can be ordered with the brakelight (Which I saw in person), and without (Which they told me they have over the phone)

Next year I am planning to get the one with the light, and remove that stick-on stock brake light.

TopDollar69
12-20-2007, 11:29 PM
The original rear wing was fiberglass too. I had a cracked one once, so I know about that.

It could be, I've never actually laid hands on one. I could have sworn that Steve mentioned the rear spoiler was plastic also, but my memory has been known to fail me at times.

DC Turismo
12-21-2007, 02:48 PM
The stock rear wings are fiberglass, as were the side GFX pieces. If I'm not mistaken, the front and rear GFX though were the same rubbery material like Daytona GFX.

rich tideswell
12-21-2007, 08:40 PM
the front and rear GFX though were the same rubbery material like Daytona GFX.

urathane.....or atleast a type of it....

DC Turismo
12-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Is that urathane or something completely different?

rich tideswell
12-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Is that urathane or something completely different?

Daytona's (along with all the other chry-co cars of the sam era) used a yellow urathane skin. most now are grey. it's durable stuff but can be pain if you go cheap in the adheisives (or don't use them at all) when painting them

DC Turismo
12-25-2007, 01:03 AM
Daytona's (along with all the other chry-co cars of the sam era) used a yellow urathane skin. most now are grey. it's durable stuff but can be pain if you go cheap in the adheisives (or don't use them at all) when painting them

Yeah cool that's what I thought, I just didn't know it was urethane. Thanks! :thumb:

rich tideswell
12-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Yeah cool that's what I thought, I just didn't know it was urethane. Thanks! :thumb:

yea, that's why I'm pushing for urathane CSX replacement bumper skins. not to knock Kalmanari's fiberglass work, but a fibergalss replacement skin is one parking curb away from.....well.....another fiberglass replacement skin......

DC Turismo
12-26-2007, 02:20 AM
yea, that's why I'm pushing for urathane CSX replacement bumper skins. not to knock Kalmanari's fiberglass work, but a fibergalss replacement skin is one parking curb away from.....well.....another fiberglass replacement skin......

OH I hear ya. The fiberglass repro of mine that Johnny from polybushings did has a small knick out of it just from being shipped :(