PDA

View Full Version : Another problem for my SRT4 :mad:

slasky
11-26-2007, 11:55 AM
I went to put in my winter floor mats and noticed that my car had the indoor swimming pool option on the passenger side. There was quite a bit of water pooled up in the front passenger side. I lifted up the carpet and the pad and floor are dry; so it did not come from underneath. The vertical parts of the carpet are dry as well and it is definitely not antifreeze. Everything also seems dry under the dash. I sprayed water in the cowl and it drains fine out the back. I also checked the sunroof channel and it is clear. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

overlordsshadow
11-26-2007, 12:06 PM
The sunroof drains from ALL holes properly? Has it rained recently? Constant rain/dizzle is a LOT different from a bucket of water thrown at the drain holes.

slasky
11-26-2007, 12:35 PM
It rained last night and last week. I have not driven the car since last Wednesday. I did not run water through the sun roof but there wasn't any crap up there. The headliner in the car was dry too.

overlordsshadow
11-26-2007, 12:40 PM
But are the drain hoses going to the right spot? could be leaking down the hose and into the car near fender/door area?

slasky
11-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Where are the drain tubes?

overlordsshadow
11-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Who knows. On the shadow they go right down the front and back pillars.

Keito
11-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Scott,

Unfortunatly this is a very common problem.
You'll have to go over to SRT forums and search.
I don't drive mine in the rain, or during the winter, plus
it's garaged all the time so I don't have this problem.
I thought I read it's the windshield leaking.
I'll go over and see what I can find.

Keito
11-27-2007, 08:54 AM
This was from Jimmy @ S&P Performance.(dealership)
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396948&highlight=wet+carpet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is some info, sorry.. I did some copy and pasting since I didn't want to re-type it all.

Search Result 1 of 20 (100 %)
Case Number K19882866
Vehicle Issue Carpet wet and water trapped on the "dry side" of the plenum.
Year 2002
Model PL - Neon
Category Customer Concern (No DTCs)
System or Component Cowl Panel / Bulkhead
Symptom Water Leak
Region Front , Interior
Weather Conditions / Ambient Temperature Raining
Other Influencing Conditions Car Wash
Condition Verification Yes - Continuously
Recommendation The root cause may be expandable sealer blocking the drain at the left cowl side. The repair procedure is: - Roll down the I/P. - Cut a 1" dia hole in the vertical face of the plenum, approx 2" inboard from the cowl side: - Use a wire probe (i.e. coat hanger ) to ream the sealer (soft gray mat'l) out of the hole. - Use compressed air to blow out the drain hole when finished. - Apply body plug, P/N 55257380AA, to seal the hole.
Modification Date 11/5/04 5:23 PM

Have the dealer look up this Case# on star online for some help. I have worked on several of these. It's a hard find, but well worth it. Basically, if you don't have the wet-side plugged, then normally there is a leak into the dry side. We sealed up the complete wet side to prevent a few of these.

The answer is that it could be many things. There is no one fix for all waterleaks. When water gets into the dry side of the plenum, it empties out of the same place. So regardless of how it comes in, it usually leaks out of the same place causing us to jump to a conclusion that they are the same problems. Any windshield leak can do it, something clogging up the drain, a body seam, anything. The best thing is to take it to a qualified dealer. I'm assuming it's under warranty because many times the dash will have to come out. Since all the rain that gathers around the seams of your sunroof has to go somewhere, they pipe it down and out. If there is any back-up, it'll go into your vehicle usually. I'm certain the 4 hours has a lot to do w/ diag and testing. Some water leaks we've had to keep for several days to verify the issue, how to repair it, and that it WAS repaired.

1FastCSX289
11-27-2007, 09:55 AM
slasky, that procedure sounds like its beyond your capability. you might want to junk it or just give it away to me.;)

Man that thing is one problem after the next. :yuck:

slasky
11-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks. It was raining all yesterday and last night and it did not get wet again. I will keep an eye on it and have the dealer check it out next time I bring it in for an oil change.

86Shelby
11-27-2007, 08:09 PM
James(Jimmy) gives out some good info. I'll see if I can get ahold of him tonight for some more indepth detail since I'll be in his neighborhood .

contraption22
11-28-2007, 12:15 AM
If I remember correctly, this has been a problem since the PL2000 chassis debuted. If you park it at certain angles, this can happen. I will double check.