PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know why they have different years for Hypertech programmers??

turbovanmanČ
11-24-2007, 08:35 AM
I see they list a different unit for every year, why is that? Has anyone used a say 99 unit on an 98 etc? I have my 98 Jimmy and theres tons of 97's, 99's, 2000's etc and I know from experience, that all those years use EXACTLY the same engine components. So, any input would be great.

20w/ashelby
11-24-2007, 03:42 PM
I would compare it to a scan tool. You can't select the wrong year on a scan tool and still be able to pull information. I would think it has to do with calibrations, not components.

turbovanmanČ
11-24-2007, 06:54 PM
I would compare it to a scan tool. You can't select the wrong year on a scan tool and still be able to pull information. I would think it has to do with calibrations, not components.

Well on my Tech 2, the GM scanner, I can use different years on alot of models, I have to as I need to update my scanner so right now, its good to 2001 but I can still read up to around 2005, depending on the model.

20w/ashelby
11-25-2007, 02:40 AM
Well on my Tech 2, the GM scanner, I can use different years on alot of models, I have to as I need to update my scanner so right now, its good to 2001 but I can still read up to around 2005, depending on the model.

Yea I know what your saying. I was just using it as a comparison. In vehicle selection you have to pick a year in the scan tool. Like when it asks what year the vehicle is. I don't have any proof to this but here's my guess. Instead of designing the programmer to have a MY choice, they made a seperate program for each MY. This would lessen the amount of programming in each unit and help lower consumer cost. If every hypertech worked for 97-00 it would need to have software for each year.