PDA

View Full Version : Uhh...

20w/ashelby
11-21-2007, 07:01 PM
I mostly just wanted to be the first to start a thread....but. Has anyone seen one on a lot yet? When are they to be released?

85glht
11-21-2007, 07:05 PM
I thought that they were already out. Haven't seen one yet:confused:

mcsvt
11-21-2007, 07:42 PM
only seen them on ebay so far...

BadAssPerformance
11-22-2007, 01:43 AM
I visited ArvinMeritor in Belvidere (across the street from the Chrysler plant) and saw one on Rt 20 :thumb:

Vigo
11-22-2007, 02:22 PM
i only have one thing to say about the turbo caliber.

http://www.motorportal.com/Mazda%20News/images/MAZDASPEED3_front34_1.jpg

vastly superior

8valves
11-22-2007, 02:36 PM
They're running around CTC all the time. I think they look pretty damn good, and the one we were showing at Mopar Nats at the trailer was quite nice inside. I'm still not big on them, but it's alright I guess.

20w/ashelby
11-22-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm not at all a fan of caliber's in general and this is no exception. Even with that being said I would still like some time behind the wheel of one. I'm sure it will be a while before I see one around here.

WVRampage
11-22-2007, 08:25 PM
I test drove an R/T when they first came out,the other day I had a chance to drive the 2.0 sxt around a bit,Im still not impressed but from what I have heard te trans will last along time since its the same as the one in the nissan with a V-6.

20w/ashelby
11-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Cvt = Gay

ShadowFromHell
11-24-2007, 09:33 PM
I cant wait untill the turbo 2.4 is stuffed into the avenger. It shouldnt require much more then a harness, and its a much larger, more practical car.

and then all I would need is a wrecked one to swap my 08.... haha

Mario
11-25-2007, 07:44 PM
I've only seen one without a manufacturer's plate running around so far. I hate to admit it, but it doesn't look all that bad. The front of it is pretty menacing.

The Pope
12-13-2007, 03:08 PM
I cant wait untill the turbo 2.4 is stuffed into the avenger. It shouldnt require much more then a harness, and its a much larger, more practical car.

and then all I would need is a wrecked one to swap my 08.... haha

The R/T Avernger is sweet, 18" wheels and 14" brakes. It has the 3.5 24v V6 and AWD. What they need to do is put some real tires and wheels under the Avenger and turbo the V6. 400 HP from a 3.5 is a cake walk and AWD would make it a real killer. SRT 6 anyone?

The Masduh 3 turbo is great, the first POS FWD from Japan that has a faster 1/4 mile ET than the 84 Dodge Colt turbo. But the Colt had a gearing advantage, they pull 4,000 RPM in forth at 70 MPH and weigh nothing. Can't wait for the street drags to reopen, going to make a lot of money this summer :thumb:

devlish
12-13-2007, 03:21 PM
yeah... i think the new avenger looks like ALL the other chrysler cars.. should have stuck with it being a 2door. just for kicks. but i suppose all the kids that had the avenger in highschool are not having families and the 4door makes sense in that manner.

as for the caliber... it's got something unique about it. not sure what it is. don't think i'd want one... but it's not terrible either

SwiftTech
12-13-2007, 08:38 PM
i've checked with the dealers in my area and they say they should have them sometime next year, probably when the challenger comes out too. I'm not a big fan of the regular caliber, but I do want to check out the SRT4 version of it.

Keito
12-14-2007, 08:39 AM
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f258/dcr-caliber-srt-4-red-wagon-407910/

Darrell Cox Racing already has one.
Did 37 dyno pull the first 24 hours it was in their posession.
Obviously he's getting the jump on the competition
when it comes to performance parts.
Here's his list for people who don't want to head over to the forum.

A few DCR Caliber Products in the works!

-Already we are working on the DCR Caliber 2.8 Liter Big Bore Sleeve & Stroker Kit with DCR MADI Crank
-DCR Caliber Big Bore Sleeve Kits...Feb-March 08
-DCR Caliber Pistons+Rods...Jan.08
-DCR Caliber Pro Series Cylinder Heads...Jan.08
-DCR Caliber Oversize SS Valves...Feb.08
-DCR Caliber BeeHive Valve Springs and Ti Retainers...Feb.08
-DCR Caliber Variable Timing Performance Cams...Feb.08
-DCR Caliber CNC Deck Block Guard...Feb.08
-DCR Caliber Billet Strap Kit...Jan.08
-DCR Caliber Complete Oiling System...Jan.08 but DCR/Caliber Big Filter Kit...in stock as of today 12/12/07
-DCR Caliber Windage Tray, Crank Scraper, and Baffle...Jan.08
-DCR Caliber AEM FIC Engine Controller...now available
-DCR Caliber Pro Series Turbo Kits...available now and built to order
-DCR Caliber Pro Series Intake Kit... available now and built to order
-DCR Caliber AntiSurge/3 Inch Inlets...available now and built to order
-DCR Caliber Upgrade 49LB Wheel Turbos...available now and built to order
-DCT Caliber Tial 38mm External Waste Gate (for stock turbo setup)....available now and built to order
-DCR Caliber Stainless Steel Exhaust...next week
-DCR Caliber 180 Thermostat...in stock
-DCR Caliber 22 PSI Radiator Cap...in stock
-DCR Caliber 3 Inch Air Intake...available now
-DCR Caliber Light Weight Battery Kit with Tray...available now
-DCR Caliber Motor Mounts...filled and available now
-DCR Caliber DSS Level 5 Axles...Feb.-March 08
-DCR Caliber Upgraded Fuel Injectors...Jan.08
-DCR Caliber Billet Fuel Rails -w-Aux Ports...finishing proto type tomorrow and available next week
-DCR Caliber PCV Check Valves...available now
-DCR Caliber 5 Layer Head Gasket...next week
-DCR Caliber NGK Iridium Spark Plugs...next week...multi heat ranges
-DCR Caliber SS O2 Housing Catless Down Pipe...available now and built to order.
-DCR Caliber Water/Meth Injection Kits...in stock
-DCR Caliber 255 Fuel Pump with the DCR exclusive Bypass Mod...next week
-DCR Caliber Push To Connect Fuel Return Line Kit...next week
-DCR Caliber BOV Shim Kit & Mopar Blow Off Valves...in stock
-DCR Caliber Positive Traction Kits...Jan-Feb 08
-RealTune Caliber LFM Intercoolers...soon
-RealTune Caliber Internal Waste Gate Actuators....soon

contraption22
12-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Interesting that a few of the first things on the list were things to strengthen the open-deck block.

WVRampage
12-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Wow thats cool that they already have everything ready go so that they will perform like the old SRT-4

contraption22
12-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Wow thats cool that they already have everything ready go so that they will perform like the old SRT-4

Still waiting on the Stage 7 Unfuglifier Package from Mopar.

firebaron90
12-16-2007, 01:24 AM
Local dodge dealer just got one in....... looks cool.

Joe

Clay
12-16-2007, 01:59 AM
Still waiting on the Stage 7 Unfuglifier Package from Mopar.

Yup, its a $15,000 option. It involves removing the radiator cap, and driving an Neon SRT4 under it. ;)

8valves
12-16-2007, 02:10 AM
I just saw Car and Driver I think it was, ran a 14.4 @ 101 in it. The MS3 ran a 14.2 @ 100.

For C&D to do that, I would think a high 13 run isn't out of the question, driver and weather permitting. At least it's not that far from the previous car in straightline testing so far.

BadAssPerformance
12-16-2007, 11:00 AM
^^^ true... also considering it weighs how much more?

CSX321
12-16-2007, 11:38 AM
They dynoed a new stock one in St. Louis a few days ago...
http://www.stlouissrts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5386

(I don't know if that requires joining to view or not. If you can't see it, the results were 268fwhp/272fwtq.)

Edit...I missed a GREAT photo op a few months ago at a local dealer. This dealer carries Dodge and Pontiac (?). They had one of the huge banners in the window that said, "Introducing the All-New Dodge Caliber"...with a row of Vibes parked in front of it! :D

Clay
12-16-2007, 12:23 PM
impressive........ still dont like the open deck!

Aries_Turbo
12-18-2007, 10:01 AM
there is one good thing about an open deck.... the ease of sleeving to make a much larger bore than you can with a closed deck block. its pricy but you can make a gigantic motor that is stronger than stock.

Brian

Pandemoniac
12-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Long as it's less pricy then the honda boys to push real power out of our open deck engine, that's cool I guess. I always make fun of hondas for their open deck, this'll take some getting used to. Does the new engine have similar mounting points and bellhousing pattern to the old 2.4?

gti_7
12-23-2007, 12:31 AM
They dynoed a new stock one in St. Louis a few days ago...
http://www.stlouissrts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5386

Good numbers for sure. Edmunds.com tested one as well, they took it right to the dyno :thumb: here is what they found:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=122859#8

bernie

Dave
01-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Not bad for $22,000. :thumb: Does it come with the Quaiffe as well?

CSX321
01-16-2008, 11:39 AM

No, to save money they went with an electronic system that applies the brakes to the side that's slipping. Sort of a variation on ABS.

slasky
01-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Yup, its a $15,000 option. It involves removing the radiator cap, and driving an Neon SRT4 under it. ;)
Stage 7 is still ugly. I would wait for the stage 10. It involves removing the radiator cap and driving a viper under it.

J&G_BlueGLH
01-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Greg's dealership just got one in yesterday in black. Im gonna sneak a peak at it tonight and snap a pic.. ill post it later.. but regardless.. its $27,000! ouch.... SRT4 (Neon) was better and cheaper. ($22 I believe..)

J&G_BlueGLH
01-17-2008, 01:40 AM
Here are the pics... I LOVE the first one... :)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c20/mopargirl41301/ViperChargerCaliber2.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c20/mopargirl41301/SRTCaliber2.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c20/mopargirl41301/SRTCaliber1.jpg

Dave
01-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Greg's dealership just got one in yesterday in black. Im gonna sneak a peak at it tonight and snap a pic.. ill post it later.. but regardless.. its $27,000! ouch.... SRT4 (Neon) was better and cheaper. ($22 I believe..)

Holy markup! Dodge's website lists them at $22,000.

No, to save money they went with an electronic system that applies the brakes to the side that's slipping. Sort of a variation on ABS.

Ridiculous. They design a 300HP car aimed directly for performance and racing and leave it with no LSD. :confused:

Dodge Aries K
01-18-2008, 06:08 AM
I drove one. It's craptastic compared to my old SRT4 Neon.

dodgeshadowchik
01-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Mitsuibishi is going to offer a Lancer Ralliart, (EVO lite). It's going to have the EVO 2.0L turbo engine, AWD (allthough not the EVO's S-AWC for controlling slip, it will get a mechicanal LSD) with that twin-clutch SST automanual with paddle shifter: $25,000
and 235HP. If they offer a regular manual trans, it will be less.

Sounds like Dodge needs to rethink this Caliber thing......

93sundance
01-25-2008, 04:56 PM
calibers look ghey

CoolV300C
01-25-2008, 10:15 PM
I kind of like the looks of it. Far cooler than a regular Caliber.

I rented a basic one before though, and hated it. Not comfortable, very cheap plastic dash. Not good visability. An omni is nicer inside.

93sundance
01-26-2008, 11:28 AM
The front end looks ok but thats it, IMO. I do not like hatchback cars that has roof that curves down to the rear hatch. It looks like crap. It is a Toyota Matrix wanna be.

GLHSHELBY
02-09-2008, 03:35 AM
they should junk this whole car or bring back the neon.Pull all the neon tooling back out of storage and I`d actually go buy one.Until they come up with a small decent looking car I`ll continue to wait on a v6 challenger.They always kill the decent cars that have all of the engineering and tooling already paid for,example the omni, jeep cherokee,and the neon.All cheap ,and would be great for the high gas prices that are here now.

GLHSHELBY
02-09-2008, 03:37 AM
btw,even the neon looks better than the new avenger also.It`s about as bad as the aztek.

Birddog
02-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Sorry to those that like it...
A Caliber is a Caliber no matter what they do to dress it up..(I'll give you the fact that it isn't as fugly as the Jeep version!)
And at 3000+ lbs it's a bit piggy! Right in line with it's piggy competitor cars.. :o

nBALLS
02-09-2008, 06:36 PM
No AWD, No care.

gti_7
02-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Sorry to those that like it...
A Caliber is a Caliber no matter what they do to dress it up..(I'll give you the fact that it isn't as fugly as the Jeep version!)
And at 3000+ lbs it's a bit piggy! Right in line with it's piggy competitor cars.. :o

and the Ur srt4 is just is a neon and a Lancer evo IX is a lancer and an WRX STi is a Impreza and the srt8 and srt10 ram are just a 300/magnum/charger and ram, not to mention the new 2008 challenger is just a car based on the LX platform same as the charger, magnum and 300, so whats the point? It doesn't mean its a bad car it also doesn't mean it takes away from the cars performance or point of being created- may not be your taste but i fail to understand when people say things like "at the end of the day its just a [fill in car make/model].

I also find people who seem to tear apart cars on the net are also the ones whom the car is never marketed for in the first place. Go on any forum or auto blog site and its filled with "id rather walk" or "id still drive my 20 year old civic" type comments or latter mentioned "but the veyron is still just a vw" type posts.. i fail to see the point of making a comment like that.

Donovan's relentless "what just a K car" but one that ran 10's.. and raped your 50K twin turbo Supra :thumb: and isnt that the point at the end of the day? achieving the impossible with the impossible?

bernie

Birddog
02-09-2008, 07:36 PM
I think you took part of what I said out of context.

Bottom line SRT or not Caliber is just flat out not an attractive vehicle.
I can easily see myself buying any one of the other mentioned vehicles and actually respecting my purchase.

I understand.. My Dakota R/T may be 1 of 1671 R/T clubs made in 01 but bottom line is it's just a Dakota... And good looking to boot!

Aries_Turbo
02-09-2008, 08:33 PM
you really think that there were many that said, "man, that omni is a sweet looking ride!" hell no!

i dont think that caliber looks half bad in SRT trim. i just hate the weight and the complexity (ie wiring lol) of newer vehicles. they are terrible.

Brian

Birddog
02-09-2008, 09:13 PM
you really think that there were many that said, "man, that omni is a sweet looking ride!" hell no!

i dont think that caliber looks half bad in SRT trim. i just hate the weight and the complexity (ie wiring lol) of newer vehicles. they are terrible.

Brian

Half bad! I think you hit the nail on the head!!

I don't know about the GLH looks cool thing however as I wasn't old enough to appreciate it then, really I still don't think it's a cool car... Fun maybe... I can say that my dad traded his 76 LTD for an 83 Mercury Lynx LN7 and he thought it was cool.. Still does...

Who the hell knew Shelby would take an interest in L bodies?

jl93sundance
02-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Has anybody seen these around at all, I have yet to see one

BadAssPerformance
02-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Saw a couple at the Chicago Auto Show Saturday... and again today ;)

The Pope
02-15-2008, 09:57 PM
it is a PT GT replacement, not a SRT Neon replacement.

Every time they let the engineers from Mitsu into the engineering building they put out crap. Whos the brains behind using the brake system to control wheel spin? Red necks in the 70s used the Ebrake to make posi in the mud. Too many years of uncooked fish.....

They add any more techno crap to the Evo and you won't need to steer it anymore either, just tell it to turn left. Is it just me or has the new sport world been ruined by cars that don't require any real driving skill? My grandma can make an Evo fast. Unlike the Neon SRT I don't think you can just start yanking the breakers out to enjoy the car though.

gti_7
02-16-2008, 04:04 AM
speaking of the PTGT, how are they in terms of performance these days compared to their sedan bodied cousin the srt4? i have often wondered how the PT GT performs especially in manual form, as online and printed reviews seem to be scarce. Can they be made to run decent power figures with or withoutthe stage one kit? could you run a srt4 stage two kit on a ptgt?

heres a poll question. how many would take a caliber srt4 and how many would take a pt cruiser gt? :D

bernie

WVRampage
02-16-2008, 11:15 AM
speaking of the PTGT, how are they in terms of performance these days compared to their sedan bodied cousin the srt4? i have often wondered how the PT GT performs especially in manual form, as online and printed reviews seem to be scarce. Can they be made to run decent power figures with or withoutthe stage one kit? could you run a srt4 stage two kit on a ptgt?

heres a poll question. how many would take a caliber srt4 and how many would take a pt cruiser gt? :D

bernie

If some one were to give me one of then I would take tha caliber for 2 reasones 1 I would take it to the track to see how bad it runs 2 take it to the dealer I work at and trade it for the 15k mile 05 SRT4 thats siting on the lot right now,alsowitht he extra money the caliber would be worth I could get stage 2 with the neon...

WickedShelby88
02-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Heres my take for what its worth. The caliber is a big vehicle. No matter how far you drop it to the ground it would still cut through air like a caliber. The Neon SRT-4 was a superior platform. The caliber is there to appeal to young markets. People like me who want something with balls that can shuttle the little people around with. When you compair a fully loaded caliber to a fully loaded neon which is the way you should the SRT4 or yor is the superior handling vehicle. Face it chrysler is using their viper as the stage for all out speed. They saw what the mazdaspeed 3 was doing and other similar hatch back vehicles and took a shot at the market. Until they get the caliber dialed in it will be one lousy slalom runner. Only time will tell, but for the money if you were going to buy a new car with performance and niceties its not bad.

Dave
02-29-2008, 10:36 AM
I got a chance to see the SRT4 Caliber at my local auto show. What I gathered from it is that the car is all business. The intercooler has brilliantly designed end tanks, the exhaust is no BS - it has just a CAT and a muffler with smooth bends the whole way back.

On top of that Chrysler is coming out with some performance packages. The car is stout. The only thing I really don't like about it is that there's no LSD. The control via ABS is fine for driving through the snow and rain but on the track it doesn't help to cut power or hit the brakes.

Another thing that I don't understand is why they didn't make an option to install an AWD package in it. :confused: They have drivetrains that can hold up. Look at the Jeeps and Hemi 300's. Granted those are larger parts, but I know they have something.

Also, don't be afraid of new school electronics. If anything, I find them much easier to work on. It's easier to diagnose and easier to tune a motor as you have a better idea of what's going on when you have sensors telling you what's going on.

Subliminal
02-29-2008, 11:14 AM
I like the looks of a caliber. Having 2 dogs and constantly having guests over, and possibly a kid in a few years, the mini-suv thing appeals to me. I like that little Mazda too...

contraption22
03-02-2008, 01:23 AM
On top of that Chrysler is coming out with some performance packages. The car is stout.

Where did you hear this? Last I heard, Mopar was not going to offer upgrade packages, just some minor bolt-on parts. The drivetrain cannot handle much more than factory power.

Another thing that I don't understand is why they didn't make an option to install an AWD package in it. :confused: They have drivetrains that can hold up. Look at the Jeeps and Hemi 300's. Granted those are larger parts, but I know they have something.

Price is one thing. One of the things that made the Neon SRT-4 appealing was was the price, and the baddest FWD car on the market. The Caliber SRT-4 is now MUCH pricier, and ALMOST as fast as the Mazdaspeed3. The price is much closer to AWD cars which are quicker and handle significantly better, such as the WRX and upcomming Mitsu Lancer Ralliart.

WickedShelby88
03-02-2008, 06:54 AM
don't the neons get much better in town mpg though? I know a lot of you guys are using those as DD. The portly caliber may not be the way to go in that arena.

Dodge Aries K
03-02-2008, 11:14 PM
You remember I used to have a Caliturd, Joe. Mine was the 1.8L with the 5 speed stick. Neon > Caliber. I got 29 highway MPG with the slow Caliber and my 2.0 DOHC Neons with the stick get 35 MPG doing the same.

Plus, the Neons are pretty darn quick, the Caliber was ungodly slow...

blk86trbo
03-04-2008, 08:54 PM

As a comparison, I was just going through the original paperwork for my 1992 TI Daytona IROC, and it sold new in the summer of 92 for over $21,000!

WickedShelby88
03-05-2008, 11:28 AM
I like the IROC better.

daytonagord
03-14-2008, 11:30 PM
A friend of mine picked one up a week or so ago, and is liking it as his daily. and there is a silver one on the lot 2 blocks from my place. looked it over, not to bad, but I really don't like how tall they are. and seen a red one on another lot accross town. salesman said they have sold 3 already.

I have been thinking of getting a new car, and this may be the one...although I will wait another year so the aftermarket has some time to put out some parts and I get to see if the ruhmoured AWD for next year shows up.

I am going to the autoshow tomorow here in calgary maybey i will try and get some info out of the guys in the booth :thumb:

neoned
03-15-2008, 12:36 AM
A friend of mine picked one up a week or so ago, and is liking it as his daily. and there is a silver one on the lot 2 blocks from my place. looked it over, not to bad, but I really don't like how tall they are. and seen a red one on another lot accross town. salesman said they have sold 3 already.

I have been thinking of getting a new car, and this may be the one...although I will wait another year so the aftermarket has some time to put out some parts and I get to see if the ruhmoured AWD for next year shows up.

I am going to the autoshow tomorow here in calgary maybey i will try and get some info out of the guys in the booth :thumb:

Hi Gord. Nice to see you here to. Send your buddy to this site. We have a SRT and other cars meet in banff this july. Hell bring your car too. Don't mind all the gay jokes and what-not on the srt site. Any BC guys, we have SRT's coming from Vancouver too.

http://www.srt4oa.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=26

contraption22
03-15-2008, 01:39 PM

AWD just isn't going to happen.

WickedShelby88
03-15-2008, 10:43 PM
If you want AWD such as the new SRT4 platform is getting or at least something close to it you should check on a couple platforms. The two most compatible I know of would be the minivan and the DSM variations. I believe the unit which bolts to the A604 in the caravans, voyagers, and such will also bolt to an A523, 568 or some of the older transmissions. I'm sure it would require some machining as well as some advanced fabrication skills.

neoned
03-16-2008, 05:50 PM
AWD will be easier to source in a evo powertrain. They are the same/similar chassis.

Dave
03-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Or you could just buy an AWD car... Audis, DSMs, EVOs, STIs... etc.

contraption22
03-16-2008, 08:08 PM
I believe the unit which bolts to the A604 in the caravans, voyagers, and such will also bolt to an A523, 568 or some of the older transmissions.

Nope.

WickedShelby88
03-17-2008, 01:06 AM
What will it bolt to then? Pretty sure it can be adapted to one of those trannies.

contraption22
03-17-2008, 09:42 AM
What will it bolt to then? Pretty sure it can be adapted to one of those trannies.

It bolts to the A604 and thats it.

WickedShelby88
03-17-2008, 10:53 AM
A 604 based later 4 speed would seem to be the way to go. Then after that you might as well have a 2.4 while your at it. I suppose a 2.2/2.5 16V hybrid adapted to fit would work along with a some tuning software, but that sounds like a nightmere. Yeah AWD in one of the original tM's just doesn't seem worth it.

contraption22
03-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Just an extra FYI... Shelby's people did build a handful, maybe only 2, AWD Daytonas with 5-speeds, but they used 1-off tailshaft assemblies.

BadAssPerformance
03-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Daytona Ultimate ?

nBALLS
03-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Shelby also used a front diff from an AMC Eagle(Dana 30) in the rear on the Daytona 4.

WickedShelby88
03-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Sounds doable then. Using the van unit as a reference.

contraption22
03-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Sounds doable then. Using the van unit as a reference.

People have been saying that for 20 years. Nobody has done it yet. It's easier just to convert to RWD. And as acceleration goes, RWD is 99% of AWD

Aries_Turbo
03-17-2008, 10:01 PM
i think cutting off part of the bellhousing of a dsm trans and welding on a 2.2/2.5L bellhousing would be easier.

Brian

TurboJerry
03-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Or adapt a 904 with a transbrake to it and make it RWD with musclecar strong parts..... Those DSM AWD systems aren't all that strong. That tiny transfercase can and will break.

nBALLS
03-17-2008, 10:09 PM
i think cutting off part of the bellhousing of a dsm trans and welding on a 2.2/2.5L bellhousing would be easier.

Brian

The trans is on the other side of the car in a DSM.

Or adapt a 904 with a transbrake to it and make it RWD with musclecar strong parts..... Those DSM AWD systems aren't all that strong. That tiny transfercase can and will break.

So 550AWHP on my friend's Galant VR4 must not be enough power then. He needs to make more HP to start breaking stuff. :lol:

:o

Clay
03-17-2008, 10:39 PM
local guy runs mid/low 10s with bone stock drive train behind the trans. He does eat a transfer case every couple of years or so, but he just keeps a spare and swaps it when needed. 1.36 60' times dont lie! ;)

Aries_Turbo
03-17-2008, 11:08 PM

So 550AWHP on my friend's Galant VR4 must not be enough power then. He needs to make more HP to start breaking stuff. :lol:

so, spin the motor around. if you are going to the trouble to make a awd car, you can do that.

brian

nBALLS
03-17-2008, 11:26 PM
so, spin the motor around. if you are going to the trouble to make a awd car, you can do that.

brian

If you are gonna do that, then just put the 4G63T in, it's already DOHC Turbo, and the stock bottom end can handle 400+HP without changing the rod bolts. http://www.posdsm.com/forums/images/smilies/KEKE/dunno.gif

BUT, if you take the diff and bearing retainers out of the AWD 604, then put the ring gear from the 413 it's going in on the 604 diff, slap in into a 413. Then the PTU bolts to the 413, though the rear diff would need to be a 1:1 ratio. Now I have never tried to put the AWD 604 diff stuff in a 413, but I have made several FWD 604 into AWD 604s, it's an easy swap. SRSLY whiz bang. The only thing is, the Minivan stuff is weak.

I like starting with a car that was already AWD if I want AWD, but that's just me. Let me say though, I have always lusted after the Daytona 4 the first time I saw it. If they had made that car, mmmmmmmmmmm. :amen:

WickedShelby88
03-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Yeah turning it to RWD to begin with and then say using maybe a Jeep AWD transfer case that doesn't require you to shift might be the best route to have durability and fun. I can just see the parts exploding when you try to drift your newly setup 413 beast.. Hmm.. Like you said Mike. Most people have talked about it and never did anything. Probably because it would be much less expensive to do the above mentioned mods then try to make some bolt on adapter that will break.

Aries_Turbo
03-18-2008, 09:42 AM
If you are gonna do that, then just put the 4G63T in, it's already DOHC Turbo, and the stock bottom end can handle 400+HP without changing the rod bolts. http://www.posdsm.com/forums/images/smilies/KEKE/dunno.gif

BUT, if you take the diff and bearing retainers out of the AWD 604, then put the ring gear from the 413 it's going in on the 604 diff, slap in into a 413. Then the PTU bolts to the 413, though the rear diff would need to be a 1:1 ratio. Now I have never tried to put the AWD 604 diff stuff in a 413, but I have made several FWD 604 into AWD 604s, it's an easy swap. SRSLY whiz bang. The only thing is, the Minivan stuff is weak.

I like starting with a car that was already AWD if I want AWD, but that's just me. Let me say though, I have always lusted after the Daytona 4 the first time I saw it. If they had made that car, mmmmmmmmmmm. :amen:

but i dont want the 4g63, its too small and i dont want the 4g64. :)

the 413 diffs and the 604 are different. how different, i dont know but different enough that i dont think it works.

Brian

WickedShelby88
03-18-2008, 02:01 PM
It definitely would not be a bolt in. You need some cad, cnc, and engineering skills to make it work.
If someone pulls it off you might call it a Nash Getrag..

TurboJerry
03-19-2008, 12:28 AM
local guy runs mid/low 10s with bone stock drive train behind the trans. He does eat a transfer case every couple of years or so, but he just keeps a spare and swaps it when needed. 1.36 60' times dont lie! ;)

I don't know, I see the transfer cases break often on 10 sec cars that get driven *maybe* 1000 miles a year. But that's with alot of passes in one year also. I just meant that it be cool to not deal with that at all...

TurboJerry
03-19-2008, 12:31 AM

He can't be making that much power! Unless the design or materials are improved on the newer versions.

nBALLS
03-19-2008, 12:44 AM
He can't be making that much power! Unless the design or materials are improved on the newer versions.

He uses the E-brake and slips the clutch to load the drive train up while launching, as to minimize shock to the system. Although he was doing a little launch testing near his house, and he grenaded a 4 bolt rear diff. I also saw him explode a cheap rear u-joint, that was in the car when he got it, at PIR last spring. http://smiliesftw.com/x/laugh.gif

The car went 11.2@128 back to back last summer, with traction trouble out of the hole.

Now Jake Montgomery has a 9 sec Talon(best of 9.11 @159mph), and up until late last summer, he was still using stock units, he'd break one, throw another in, use it until it broke, and repeat the process. Right at the end of the season he finally went with a Drive Shaft Shop one, he was stubborn I guess.

contraption22
03-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Unrelated to the main topic, but on the topic of Mitsu's braking drivetrain parts.

Did anybody see the show "Pass Time" on Speed Monday night? It's a pretty bad show, a gameshow where contestants guess the ET's of the cars that roll past the stage.

Anyway a guy with a yellow EVO rolls up. They ask him a few questions about it. He lets on that it is running 30psi of boost.

I guess he tried to do a burnout with it, and the thing broke before he ever got it to the line. It just kinda lurched and stopped.

WickedShelby88
03-19-2008, 08:55 AM
Unrelated to the main topic, but on the topic of Mitsu's braking drivetrain parts.

Did anybody see the show "Pass Time" on Speed Monday night? It's a pretty bad show, a gameshow where contestants guess the ET's of the cars that roll past the stage.

Anyway a guy with a yellow EVO rolls up. They ask him a few questions about it. He lets on that it is running 30psi of boost.

I guess he tried to do a burnout with it, and the thing broke before he ever got it to the line. It just kinda lurched and stopped.

:lol:

Reaper1
03-19-2008, 01:57 PM
The 604 diff parts will not work in a 413. They are too different....

skitzo_inc
03-30-2008, 12:21 AM
My roommates EVO won't do a burn out, but it will drift if you nail the throttle with the boost set at 26PSI. I've never seen him burn out, but drifting across four lanes of traffic is fun!

WVRampage
03-30-2008, 09:31 AM
freind of mine has and evo and I got to drive it once and launched it at 4k and it spun all 4.

nBALLS
03-31-2008, 11:38 AM
A buddy of mine, Paul Nelson's Evo: The first vid is when he went 9s for the first time, last year. He does a quick 4 wheel burnout.

The second vid is when they dyno'd the car after the new setup, 1014AWHP at 55psi

Just last Friday, they dyno'd the most recent setup, and got 1081AWHP at 41psi, and 813AWHP on only 27psi.

Here's the thread from EvoM if anyone cares to read it, good stuff: :) http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=335294

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcVsH3UNeIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESluRK3kdM8

WickedShelby88
04-01-2008, 12:09 AM
What is he using in the way of a block and head to handle that much boost? I'd be pulling the threads out of the block if I ran that much in a TD...

nBALLS
04-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Stock block, ARP head studs(now they are using ones from AMS), stock Mitsu MLS, I think the first time they O-ringed the block was when they built the motor for the original 1000+HP run. The new setup is a fresh O-ringed block, the head is not, but it has been CNC ported by GSC.

Actually, here is his mod list copy/pasted from his most recent thread(the one I linked to):

Here are my list of mods:

1) Stock Crank
2) Groden Aluminum Rods
3) JE 10.1 Pistons
4) Stock Block Stock Bore size. we felt we needed the extra wall thickness
5) Cooper O-ring on the block with stock head gasket and no receiver grove on the head
6) AMS Head Studs tq to 100ft lbs
7) Stock oil pump
8) GSC CNC Head plus 1 valves,Kiggley Single springs,GSC S3 Cams, and some other good stuff
9) Amsoil 20-50wt oil
10) Modified Oils pick and pan
11) AMS Drag Intake Manifold with Q45
12) ETS 45r Turbo Kit made to work with stock radiator
13) PWR Radiator
14) AEM Cam gears set to zero ( haven't messed with them yet)
15) ETS 3" uicp and licp with Tial 50mm Blow-off Valve
16) ETS Water to Air Intercooler
17) SparkTEch Ignition System with M&W ProDrag4 box and 300m coils
18) Fluidamper
19) AEM EMS
20) All new wiring in the car Painless Wiring Systems
21) AMS Lower light weight cross member
22) 1600cc RC injectors
23) Aeromotive Pro series fuel pump good for 120psi
24) Aeromotive regulator
25) 4 gallon Fuel cell
26) Tial Lightweight Exhaust Housing 1.00
27) 4202 compressor housing machined for the 45r wheel
28) ETS 4" Exhaust

WickedShelby88
04-01-2008, 12:58 AM
I figured it had to be O ringed. I know a kid who manage to get an 81 malibu into the 10's with full sheet metal using a factory 400 block with it O ringed. Its amazing what you can do when you take a stock block to the next level. I am quite impressed with that setup. However, thats a serious list of dinero.

nBALLS
04-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Tru, he has spent a lot of casholine on it!

WickedShelby88
04-01-2008, 01:41 AM
Thats sweet you've got a first gen DSM eclipse as well. A guy where I used to work had a really clean laser AWD for his winter car.. I'd like to make my dodge lancer AWD, but I think its going to have to be converted to RWD first.. won't hurt my feelings any.. Nothing like drifting through intersections to make the day better.

nBALLS
04-01-2008, 02:12 AM
I love my Eclipse(I've had 3 other DSMs as well), so much fun to pitch sideways in the rain, I love my Mirage too, even with it's horrible traction issues(most of which is, the tires stink, lol), but I'm ready to sell them both to get an Evo 9. :o I'm at a point in my life where I actually want one car, lol, never thought I would be there(I've had 22-ish cars, lol).

Yeah, a RWD Lancer would be quite unique!

WickedShelby88
04-01-2008, 09:22 AM
I hear ya. I'm 27 and just about have had more cars then years of my life.

contraption22
04-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah, a RWD Lancer would be quite unique!

I have an article about a RWD EVO that was built for F&F3.

nBALLS
04-01-2008, 11:33 AM
I have an article about a RWD EVO that was built for F&F3.

Now that you say that, it reminds me of this car, an Evo converted to RWD for drifting, and not like the one that Sport Compact car did, this one is true RWD:

Edit: http://chris-chrisgray.blogspot.com/2007_08_01_archive.html

WVRampage
04-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Wasntn this supose to be about the crapabur or what ever that thing is called.

Aries_Turbo
04-01-2008, 09:17 PM
yeah it got all off topic... thats what happens when the masters of ADD are involved lol. (no one in particular).

since the EVO is related to the caliber, its almost on topic...

its that DSM whore's fault ;)

Brian

nBALLS
04-01-2008, 09:31 PM
http://smiliesftw.com/x/laugh.gif

I tend to drive threads off topic, or keep them that way, LOL. :o

Aries_Turbo
04-02-2008, 02:38 PM
no prob, i do it too ;)

Brian

WickedShelby88
04-02-2008, 04:09 PM
I guess we should have an AWD section or something..

Aries_Turbo
04-02-2008, 06:50 PM
i dunno about a whole section but maybe a subsection under the transmission section.

Brian

BadAssPerformance
04-02-2008, 06:51 PM
I could see something like that if there are more posts about it.

Aries_Turbo
04-02-2008, 08:43 PM
there are a handful of RWD and AWD discussions. if this were a go, we could move them there.

Brian

TurboJerry
04-12-2008, 01:11 AM

This is my point.... You have to drive it *carefully* to keep it together. My friends with these cars that go 11's or faster pray each time they launch that it doesn't break something...... But they do very well when driven properly!!!!

WickedShelby88
04-13-2008, 05:39 PM
there are a handful of RWD and AWD discussions. if this were a go, we could move them there.

Brian

Until there are more actual builds going on of this topic I definitely see the point in not making a subsection just yet.

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Has anybody seen these around at all, I have yet to see one

There is one in my driveway.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/sherm1123/SRT43-26-08001.jpg

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 12:20 PM

bernie

I've driven both and in my opinion, there is really no comparison. The CSRT is a sports car and the PT GT is a fast sedan.

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Where did you hear this? Last I heard, Mopar was not going to offer upgrade packages, just some minor bolt-on parts. The drivetrain cannot handle much more than factory power.

Price is one thing. One of the things that made the Neon SRT-4 appealing was was the price, and the baddest FWD car on the market. The Caliber SRT-4 is now MUCH pricier, and ALMOST as fast as the Mazdaspeed3. The price is much closer to AWD cars which are quicker and handle significantly better, such as the WRX and upcomming Mitsu Lancer Ralliart.

Per the SRT engineers Dodge will offer packages that will be much less expensive than the NSRT because the internals and turbo are good for 400+ HP. Should be available by the end of the year. The upgrades will be in injectors and computer related. There are already many aftermarket options for increasing the HP dramatically. The drive train is rock solid.

As far as price goes, I paid $21,200 for my CSRT. Sure you can get one with all the whistles and bells and spend $27,000, but all the performance is available in the base price. Most of the ones you see on the dealer lots are going to have all the options so that they can show them off. The CSRT isn't AWD because of the cost. Its a $20K car, not a $30K+ one.

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 12:31 PM

Exactly! I for one loved the looks of my GLH-T. Maybe that's why I love the CSRT too?

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 12:33 PM
don't the neons get much better in town mpg though? I know a lot of you guys are using those as DD. The portly caliber may not be the way to go in that arena.

I'm averaging 27.1 MPG with my CSRT and have gotten over 30 MPG on the highway. That is a little better than what I got with my NSRT. The cruise control helps!

sherm1123
05-02-2008, 12:36 PM
As a comparison, I was just going through the original paperwork for my 1992 TI Daytona IROC, and it sold new in the summer of 92 for over $21,000!

Amazing! The IROC's are very pretty. I almost bought a white one in 92, except that American Family wouldn't insure it or the Spirit RT at the time.

The $21,200 I just paid for my new 285HP, 14 second, CSRT is looking pretty good!