PDA

View Full Version : 16v swap on 2.2 Carb?

BerBer5985
11-21-2007, 12:44 AM
I just was doing a little bit of research on the possibility/difficulty of maybe doing a 16v head swap on a 2.2L carb motor in a 1984 shelby charger. I did a search but couldn't come up with much info on this type of swap. I'm about to inherit the car that's in great shape and it has some mods done to it, but I was thinking of something fun and different. Any ideas or would it not be worth it? Any help would be great.

Murphy
11-21-2007, 01:43 AM
I think there is someone on the OTHER site(oh wait, we can say it here! turbododge.com) who has done a 16v carb engine. I think he name is shadetreemechanic or something to that extent.

You would see a big power gain over stock, but while your there, why not just go turbo?I know you want the whole differnt thing, but you can get so much more power from a turbo engine. maybe you could supercharge it!

zin
11-21-2007, 02:12 AM
I think there is someone on the OTHER site(oh wait, we can say it here! turbododge.com) who has done a 16v carb engine. I think he name is shadetreemechanic or something to that extent.

You would see a big power gain over stock, but while your there, why not just go turbo?I know you want the whole different thing, but you can get so much more power from a turbo engine. maybe you could supercharge it!

That could be pretty interesting... 16V 2.4L head with a supercharger from a Super Coupe or a Buick? Could probably run a Holley carb with some kind of adapter, bet that sucker would scream!! And it you wouldn't have to deal with a funky exhaust manifold, plus the intake would be upfront, should make it a little bit easier. Good thing I have too many projects as it is, of course I did see an SC at the pick a part this weekend... No, got to finish the AWD Omni first...:D

BerBer5985
11-21-2007, 10:43 AM
I mean the head swap seems similar to that of a vtec/ls swap basically, but then you could essentially do away with the electronics and run a carb and I wouldn't have to go through all the trouble of converting it to MPI for turbo and all the wiring, etc, etc. I know it won't make turbo power or be quite as efficient as MPI, but I was just trying to come up with ideas to make this ride fun and different. I'll check out shadetreemechanic and see if he knows about it.

t3rse
11-21-2007, 12:55 PM
you could use 4 motorcycle carbs...

contraption22
11-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Well... if you're gonna do this, why not just swap in the whole 2.0 engine and trans? It would be an improvement all around!

turbovanmanČ
11-21-2007, 01:35 PM
That would be alot of fun, something MaMopar should have done. Run some TBI or flat top pistons, header etc. The hardest part would be making up the intake, IE carb or carbs but it would sure sing. Single or dual side drafts would be pure music at 7000 rpm, :clap:

contraption22
11-21-2007, 02:56 PM
That would be alot of fun, something MaMopar should have done. Run some TBI or flat top pistons, header etc. The hardest part would be making up the intake, IE carb or carbs but it would sure sing. Single or dual side drafts would be pure music at 7000 rpm, :clap:

ITB's with EFI...
4 stock turbo 46mm throttle bodies should me more than sufficient.
use Turbo electronics with a 1 bar MAP and a custom cal!

turbovanmanČ
11-21-2007, 03:04 PM
ITB's with EFI...
4 stock turbo 46mm throttle bodies should me more than sufficient.
use Turbo electronics with a 1 bar MAP and a custom cal!

Why bother? a properly setup carb(s) would be sweet. I had a single sidedraft on my old 78 Civic, it was music at 7500 rpm, :amen:

contraption22
11-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Because it's 2007 and there is no more room in the world for carbs in my opinion.

t3rse
11-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Because it's 2007 and there is no more room in the world for carbs in my opinion.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

+1

turbovanmanČ
11-21-2007, 05:56 PM

I agree to a certain extent but when the car is carbed already, going to the expense of adding fuel injection isn't worth it. My 2 cents, ;)

gkcooper
11-21-2007, 07:40 PM
carbs suck

BerBer5985
11-21-2007, 08:05 PM
carbs suck

Yeah, but you work with what you got. I could change it all, but why not try and work with what I have and make the best of it. If I can legitimetely pull off the whole 16v carb swap, it would be sweet. I have to get a custom intake for the carbs made, but what else would I need to make this run? Along with the car is coming a holley carb, an entire spare motor, I even think there's a bunch of fuel injection parts, extra manifolds, etc. I'm sure I could come up with something with a machine shop or a exhaust shop without costing a complete fortune. I think it'd be fun to try with the spare motor since i have all the parts and the car runs great as it. But I wanna try it for sure.

TurboRon25
11-21-2007, 10:20 PM
carbs suck

Yes, I believe that is the principal of how they work.

Ron

8valves
11-22-2007, 12:23 AM
http://thedodgegarage.com/shelby/shelby_omni_dohc.jpg

2.216VTurbo
11-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Um, thats an L body hood latch, complete with the hole to adjust the alt belt tension... but the resoultion is just a bit too low to tell much else about the valve covers... Hans Herman? TIII? cant make it out dammit:mad: !

8valves
11-22-2007, 01:08 AM
I never knew that's what that hole was there for... maybe that will be an easier job next time!

gkcooper
11-22-2007, 01:53 AM
carbs suck

relax guys, it was intended to be a joke

turbovanmanČ
11-22-2007, 02:27 PM
carbs suck

Yes they do, ;)

Um, thats an L body hood latch, complete with the hole to adjust the alt belt tension... but the resoultion is just a bit too low to tell much else about the valve covers... Hans Herman? TIII? cant make it out dammit:mad: !

I would guess maybe Hans Herman?

I didn't know what that hole was for, damn, :clap:

2.216VTurbo
11-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Ha, the old dude is schoolin' the kids on this forum for once:lol:

Use a 6" extension, a swivel and a short extension and you're money on that adjustment bolt;)

turbovanmanČ
11-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Ha, the old dude is schoolin' the kids on this forum for once:lol:

Use a 6" extension, a swivel and a short extension and you're money on that adjustment bolt;)

Who are you calling a kid? :confused: But thanks for the compliment, :clap:

BerBer5985
11-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Aha....so it can be done I see. Anyone in MD wanna come help me when i get around to this project? It should be fun! haha I need to figure out exactly what I would need to make this work with as little modification/customization as possible.

turbovanmanČ
11-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Aha....so it can be done I see. Anyone in MD wanna come help me when i get around to this project? It should be fun! haha I need to figure out exactly what I would need to make this work with as little modification/customization as possible.

Making the engine 16 valve is covered thoroughly on turbo-mopar. :clap: Then all you would need is an intake made up and decide what carb(s) you want to use.

BerBer5985
11-22-2007, 11:46 PM
that's great!.....I'm excited to try this out....thanks for the help guys! I hope it'll be worth the effort switching to 16v.

turbovanmanČ
11-23-2007, 01:44 AM
that's great!.....I'm excited to try this out....thanks for the help guys! I hope it'll be worth the effort switching to 16v.

I spent alot of time and money making a TIII 2.5L in my van and YES, its totally worth it, :partywoot::nod: