PDA

View Full Version : snow tires

magtec
11-20-2007, 09:25 PM
i do a lot of rural highway driving and i'm thinking that i should probably cough up the cash for a set of snow tires this winter. what size rims and tires should i use?

turbovanmanČ
11-20-2007, 09:55 PM
What do you drive? ;)

magtec
11-20-2007, 11:49 PM
oh, i'm sorry. thought it was in my signature.

it's an '89 acclaim. 2.5 turbo, a520.

cordes
11-21-2007, 12:07 AM
If you have some 14" steel wheels lying around there should be some inexpensive choices for you. They will probably be limited due to the rim size, but the cost savings will probably be significant. Some 185/75R14s would probably fit the bill quite well and not cost a ton if you can find them.

This might not be a bad choice.

http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product.aspx?IV=true&YW=1990&MA=PLYMOUTH&MD=Acclaim+Base&SP=0&MN=1870&cat=3961&lang=en-US&MNo=0&Prodid=11070521&Aspect=70&Diameter=14&Speed=T&Width=185

Looks like a 185/70r14 came on the base model acclaims in 90'.

Turbo_Rampage
11-21-2007, 12:51 AM
I'm running the Michelin X-ice tires on my Daytona right now and they are awesome in deep snow and winter roads. I had a set on my Shadow last year and they were the best! especially when i drove an hour on the highway everyday just to get to work. I just bought my tires for my 15" Pumpers and they were pretty pricey, but i agree with cordes, if you want to save money find some 14" rims then you won't have to pay so much for tires.

Turbodave
11-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi Chris!

I'm running a set of Hankook I-pike snow tires on the neon. Got them last year from Discount tire online. They've been good in the snow, I only had one situation where I needed to rock the car, and that was to get through about an 18" deep stretch out front of my building (The neon is too low to the ground so deep snow is not it's strength).

I think running a set of 14" steelies and decent snow tires will make a huge difference on the acclaim.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=1989&c=1&sw=true&cs=185&pc=11206&rd=14&vid=011848&ar=70

Those are the same one's I've got, they work well for the price. The bridgestone Blizzaks I had on the minivan a few years back were my favorite, but these hankooks have really impressed me.

contraption22
11-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Is the best plan to get narrow snows so it will more easily dig in down to the pavement?

turbovanmanČ
11-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Run 14's, tires are cheaper and they'll work better. Years ago, I had a 90 Grand Am, had the 16" mags but ran 14" steelies with winter tires, I could go anywhere, ;)
I guess depending on your snow fall etc, if you do have alot of snow, get the REAL winter tires but if not, they were out really fast as there soooooooo soft.

Turbodave
11-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Is the best plan to get narrow snows so it will more easily dig in down to the pavement?

That's the plan for snow tires you are going to run on the street. They are less likely to float on slush and snow and more likely to dig down to the pavement. It puts more of the cars weight on a smaller contact patch and provides better traction as a result. Like anything it's a compromise, I give up some handling for a few months of the year, but it's worth it for the peace of mind on inclimate days.

If you were going to dirve across Antartica some huge tires with lots of flotation would be good, but there's nothing to run into there either..

BadAssPerformance
11-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Just swapped the snow tires on the Dakota, even in the rain it is amazing how much better skinny all terrain tires (even at the wear bars) are than bald 275/50/17's ;)

cordes
11-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Hi Chris!

I'm running a set of Hankook I-pike snow tires on the neon. Got them last year from Discount tire online. They've been good in the snow, I only had one situation where I needed to rock the car, and that was to get through about an 18" deep stretch out front of my building (The neon is too low to the ground so deep snow is not it's strength).

I think running a set of 14" steelies and decent snow tires will make a huge difference on the acclaim.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=1989&c=1&sw=true&cs=185&pc=11206&rd=14&vid=011848&ar=70

Those are the same one's I've got, they work well for the price. The bridgestone Blizzaks I had on the minivan a few years back were my favorite, but these hankooks have really impressed me.

Wow Dave, thanks for that link. Those look like some very nice tires for sure. They look remarkably similar to some of the Michelin products that cost over twice as much. I am sure that the bang for the buck is through the roof on those things.

bfarroo
11-21-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm running these on my spirit, I'll never go back to running radials in the winter.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?search=true&performance=W&width=185%2F&ratio=75&diameter=14&x=21&y=5

http://www.extremepsi.org/gallery/albums/album08/DSC00033.jpg

turbokid
11-22-2007, 12:20 AM
what about on 16 inch gtc wheels? has p205 55's on it right and its close. Tried to put some 225 60's on it and no go. Any recommendations?

magtec
11-22-2007, 03:50 AM
thanks for the responses so far.

would there be any benefit to using 15" rims? i'm going to have to purchase a set of steel wheels.

the car has crab wheels on it right now, i believe they are 6.5" wheels from a daytona. currently there are p205/55r15 tires on the front and p225/50r15 tires on the back. a light dusting of snow = zero traction until third gear, and even then it's kind of iffy until fourth. yes, the front tires have decent tread and are inflated properly. no, i'm not stomping the accelerator. it's quite a change from the '87 2.2TI/a413 lebaron with all-season tires that plowed through over a foot of snow like it wasn't even there.

dave -
thanks for the link. i think i've actually seen those snow tires on your neon. i'm going to have to go local, hopefully the stores here have something similar.

here's some eyecandy for those of you who haven't seen the car:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Pretty%20Sammy%20the%20Acclaim/S5000341.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Pretty%20Sammy%20the%20Acclaim/S5000647.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Pretty%20Sammy%20the%20Acclaim/S5000655.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/teamaenoy/Pretty%20Sammy%20the%20Acclaim/S5000067.jpg

Dodge Aries K
11-22-2007, 04:04 AM
God how I miss Pretty Sammy :)

Yeah, they are crab rims from a Daytona. The 6.5" variety.

Lemme know what ya can find. I need some cheap tires too.

RoadWarrior222
11-22-2007, 01:32 PM
I keep thinking of getting a set of light truck tires on my minivan for the winter. Can get them with a more aggressive tread than passenger all seasons, and I get the impression that some of them might be better than passenger snow tires. Can get a 205/75R14 that's only 2.5% off, and would give me another half inch clearance under the van.

Quite often happens here that the highways are clear and dry but everywhere else isn't, plus there can be a lot of dry time in between snows and you don't wanna swap tires back and forth. Suspicious of how bad winter tires would wear when they'd get a lot of use on dry roads.

Sloride
11-22-2007, 02:48 PM
thanks for the responses so far.

would there be any benefit to using 15" rims? i'm going to have to purchase a set of steel wheels.

IF you have rear disk brakes you cant fit 14"s on the back of the car,

I learned the hard way when i went to put some junkyard scrounged 14s on...:mad:

magtec
11-22-2007, 11:04 PM
rear drums.

moparzrule
11-23-2007, 09:34 AM
We run Cooper weathermaster ST2's, they are awesome. Winterforce are good too but wear out much faster than the coopers.
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifenbestellen.pl?typ=0002651&dsco=35

EDIT- The link above is for my wife's car tire size, a little skinny for a 6.5'' crab IMO. I think you would be able to fit 205/60's on an acclaim, I have 205/50's on my shadow with plenty of clearance....-
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifenbestellen.pl?typ=0002636&dsco=35

ssheen
11-23-2007, 06:21 PM
I ran Toyo Observe G2 for years for a winter tire. They have been awesome. I remember the first year I put them on. Back when we actually got snow. I took the Laser to a local lake. The snow was deep enough it was coming over the hood! Had a blast! Went through a tank of gas burning around the lake. I hear Nokian are suppose to have super winter tires...

magtec
11-23-2007, 08:37 PM
The link above is for my wife's car tire size, a little skinny for a 6.5'' crab IMO. I think you would be able to fit 205/60's on an acclaim...
i'm going to buy steel wheels for the winter tires. the tires on the crab wheels aren't bad enough that they need to be replaced yet.

bfarroo
11-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Having separate rims for the winter tires in the only way to go. The skinnier the better for winter tires to cut through the snow.

magtec
11-24-2007, 08:28 PM
bfarroo, nice to see someone from my neck of the woods. :)

was going to cough up the cash for new steel rims, but so far i haven't been able to find any locally. i'm kind of afraid of getting some bent hunks of scrap from the junkyard, but it looks like i'm going to have to go that route.

bfarroo
11-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Yeah I can't believe what some yards want for steel wheels, the yard in town wanted 35 ea if I bought a set of 4 or 40 each for lesser quantities. I found some at a yard farther out for 10ea which is a much better price. They have a few semi trailers full of rims on racks and you can go through and pick out the ones you want.

moparzrule
11-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Yeah I can't believe what some yards want for steel wheels, the yard in town wanted 35 ea if I bought a set of 4 or 40 each for lesser quantities. I found some at a yard farther out for 10ea which is a much better price. They have a few semi trailers full of rims on racks and you can go through and pick out the ones you want.

Nowadays junkyards like to make what they paid for the car off the first part they sell off of it. It's ridiculous how much they pay versus how much they charge for parts. Junkyards used to pay 100-200 for an older car, now you're lucky for $40-50.

Turbodave
11-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Nowadays junkyards like to make what they paid for the car off the first part they sell off of it. It's ridiculous how much they pay versus how much they charge for parts. Junkyards used to pay 100-200 for an older car, now you're lucky for $40-50.

The prices are nuts, I won't argue with you there, but with steel prices up the yards around here are giving more than they used to. The last Daytona shell I brought in with no drivetrain they still gave me $40 for. I sold the Cat off it for another $40 and the A/C condensor and radiator for $15 to the local scrap guy.

Most of the yards around here are giving abour $150 for a complete car.

Also, Chris I've got a set of steelies you can have if you want to drive down here to pick them up. They've got a worn out set of snow tires on them now and have overspray from being on my shadow when it was painted but they are usable rims, hit them with a coat of black paint and your good to go.

Dodge Aries K
11-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Hey Christine, I can pick those up from Dave if you want me to for you.

Aries_Turbo
11-25-2007, 09:43 PM
wife has 185/70/14 pacemark snowtrackers from walmart. cheap and work really well on her neon. goes anywhere. (within reason :))

Brian

magtec
11-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Also, Chris I've got a set of steelies you can have if you want to drive down here to pick them up.

Hey Christine, I can pick those up from Dave if you want me to for you.

are they 14s? i'd totally be up for that. just need to find the time to pick them up.

turbokid
11-25-2007, 11:37 PM
i see first hand what my dad pays for cars for the yard. He has a guy that saves all his mopar stuff for my dad cause he knows he will buy it. He bought an 89 lebaron 2.5 turbo automatic, rust free, perfect paint, brand new tires and top, leather interior and all the power options for 100 bux with a blown head gasket. These cars go for cheap.

RoadWarrior222
11-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Walmart steel rims are like $40 a piece btw.

Turbodave
11-26-2007, 11:20 AM
are they 14s? i'd totally be up for that. just need to find the time to pick them up.

Yep, just stock 14" steelies off a 90 Daytona I parted out a few years ago.

I'll probably be up at my building in Union Grove a few nights this week also, so if I can save you 30min of driving if you wanted to meet me there.

magtec
11-26-2007, 02:26 PM
the wal-mart here doesn't have a tire center.

dave, how much do you want for the wheels? it'll most likely be karl who picks them up from you.

Turbodave
11-26-2007, 02:34 PM
the wal-mart here doesn't have a tire center.

dave, how much do you want for the wheels? it'll most likely be karl who picks them up from you.

I don't want anything for the wheels, free, gratis, etc.. I've got more wheels/tires around than any sane man needs.

moparzrule
11-26-2007, 03:22 PM
I've got more wheels/tires around than any sane man needs.

I guess that makes you insane then huh? :lol:

Turbodave
11-26-2007, 03:34 PM
I guess that makes you insane then huh? :lol:

:amen: :D :thumb:

Counted something like 8 sets (32 total) Pizza wheels between the back yard and two garages. I haven't tried to count all the other wheels/ Tires that around. I know I have a couple racks full and about 7 or 8 6' tall stacks.

magtec
11-26-2007, 08:36 PM
I don't want anything for the wheels, free, gratis, etc.. I've got more wheels/tires around than any sane man needs.
good thing you're not sane. ;)

seriously, though - i owe you. let me know if there's anything i can do for you.

RoadWarrior222
11-26-2007, 08:52 PM
i owe you. let me know if there's anything i can do for you.

cue Godfather theme...

dodge80_89
11-26-2007, 11:56 PM
We run Cooper weathermaster ST2's, they are awesome. Winterforce are good too but wear out much faster than the coopers.
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifenbestellen.pl?typ=0002651&dsco=35

EDIT- The link above is for my wife's car tire size, a little skinny for a 6.5'' crab IMO. I think you would be able to fit 205/60's on an acclaim, I have 205/50's on my shadow with plenty of clearance....-
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifenbestellen.pl?typ=0002636&dsco=35

I had those on the back of my 2wd Ramcharger when I was in michigan and they were awesome. Driving back and forth from college to my parents house, 2 hours each way on the freeway, and I didn't get stuck at all. Now that I'm out in Oregon we are allowed to have studded snow tires due to the mountains, unless you want to use tire chains, which in my opnion suck. My wife drives a Cavalier with 195/70R15's stock, for winter we use 185/60R14 with the studs for driving to the mountain for snowboarding. Speedometer is off by almost 5MPH but it's only for 4 months.

You said you have to buy tires locally, IMHO since you are in the winter season in Wisconsin, all the tire shops will have some expensive prices for tires. I'd buy them from Tirerack.com. Their prices seem to be very reasonable, and shipping isn't that bad. I paid less then $40 for 4 fullsize truck tires, and they showed up in about 4 days. It cost $65 for mounting and balancing, which if I bought the tires locally would have cost me close to $150 more then I paid total for the tires/shipping/mounting and balancing. Just my thought.

moparzrule
11-27-2007, 07:28 AM
tirerack doesn't sell coopers anymore. And also tires-easy.com is actually cheaper on their prices AND shipping.

Turbodave
11-27-2007, 12:29 PM
good thing you're not sane. ;)

seriously, though - i owe you. let me know if there's anything i can do for you.

No big deal, not like they are a set of fiberides or something. Karl let me borrow his Laserdisc player, so this is kind of like me returning the favor only not to Karl...:lol:

cue Godfather theme...

:lol: :thumb:

Dodge Aries K
11-27-2007, 04:35 PM
You can return the favor to ME by helping out my friend. I'm cool with that. :)

magtec
12-06-2007, 01:49 AM
No big deal, not like they are a set of fiberides or something. Karl let me borrow his Laserdisc player, so this is kind of like me returning the favor only not to Karl...:lol:

well, the steel wheels mean that i don't have to auction off everything i own so that i can afford a new set of all-season 225/50r15 tires.

he probably let you borrow the laserdisc player that i bought for him, so it's all good. ;)

Dodge Aries K
12-06-2007, 04:47 AM
YES! It was the Pioneer one. ;)

magtec
12-13-2007, 01:23 AM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/magtec/89%20acclaim/IMG_1644.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/magtec/89%20acclaim/IMG_1645.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/magtec/89%20acclaim/IMG_1646.jpg

didn't get a chance to clean and repaint the rims.

Dodge Aries K
12-13-2007, 02:30 AM
SEXY! Now you need some gaudy plastic SPINNAZ!!!! YEEEEAH!

moparzrule
12-13-2007, 08:18 AM
The cooper ST2's look nearly identical to those.

Turbodave
12-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Look grippy, nice rims too, I like the exotic red overspray on them ;)

devlish
12-13-2007, 12:40 PM
argh... i had a set of snow tires and GLH rims stolen last weekend!! we left them outside firestone late at night, and i called saturday morning to have them mounted (i know the employees there, so this is normal) and he tells me that there was nothing out back. he went and checked again... argh... someone walked off with them. including the kuhmo Victoracers that were on the GLH rims at the time.

ok.. just had to share and vent.

on topic... i LOVE snow tires on my cars!! they rock!!! except when they get stolen. fockers.

magtec
12-13-2007, 02:29 PM
they're quite grippy. the car barely slides anymore. i took it through an unplowed area of the big parking lot of the dead mall up here (where the pictures were taken) and was quite pleased. no snow on the roads right now, though. with my luck it won't snow anymore this year. ;)

oh, and the exotic red overspray looks great with the black cherry. i figure it won't even be noticeable in a few days with all the road grime.

as for the cooper ST2s - the blizzaks were sitting on the showroom floor when i walked in looking for snow tires. they were installed about an hour after i walked through the door. i would've had to wait anywhere else.

devlish
12-13-2007, 03:13 PM
just got some blizzak ws-60's for... my MOM's car!! sweet. i love blizzak.. but cannot afford them anymore. the firestone winterforce's are nice for sure. and much cheaper.

slasky
12-13-2007, 04:43 PM
I heard the blizzaks are only good until they are half worn down then they are not much better than an all season. The only use the soft rubber for the outside half of the tire. The rest is a harder rubber that is not as good for winter driving.

Turbodave
12-13-2007, 04:50 PM
I heard the blizzaks are only good until they are half worn down then they are not much better than an all season. The only use the soft rubber for the outside half of the tire. The rest is a harder rubber that is not as good for winter driving.

I think the same applies to most snow tires, tread depth, flexibility and siping are all important to getting the best traction from them. After they are 1/2 worn it's burnout time...:D

devlish
12-13-2007, 05:44 PM
ok... just what i've heard from the manager at the local Firestone/Bridgestone store... don't know the truth behind it...

supposedly the ws60 blizzaks are supposed to have some decomposable materials embedded into the rubber... to act as little studs as they get worn down. i forget what the material was though, but it makes sense. little teeny tiny rocks/sand or something... so that it helps with traction as they get worn down.

and yes, i think all snow tires are like that. my winterforce tires were noticably less effective the 3rd season while at half tread. but still about the same as new all seasons.