PDA

View Full Version : flywheels oh my

mark
11-20-2007, 12:34 AM
i need to get a flywheel for my spirit...

i figure while the clutch is out, might as well go balls deep...

i see there are multiple kinds, stock, aluminum, lightened steel.

i really dont know the difference of them, but is anyone here running any of the non-stock type?

I dont drag race, but i get on it once and a while. i dont auto cross.

turbovanmanČ
11-20-2007, 01:20 AM
The lighter the flywheel, the faster the engine will speed up BUT on the other hand, you lose inertia soo the engine will want to stall when letting out the clutch if its too light.

I would honestly stick with a stocker or a lightened stocker for the street, :nod:

bansheenut420
11-20-2007, 10:17 AM
I have a fidanza on my RT. Between that and the missing balance shafts, it revs way faster. And its not any worse as far as chatter or take offs as it was with the stocker. I would do it again.

mark
11-20-2007, 10:51 AM
which fidanza do you have, the lightened stock one, or the aluminum?

I have a fidanza on my RT. Between that and the missing balance shafts, it revs way faster. And its not any worse as far as chatter or take offs as it was with the stocker. I would do it again.

bansheenut420
11-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I have the lightened one. I have some pics if you would like to see it. I have yet to see anyone running an aluminum one. I know they put a steel ring in them for the crank sensor, but I just dont really trust them for some reason.

1FastCSX289
11-20-2007, 12:14 PM
I have an aluminum Fidanza wheel. I dont notice any of the torque issues everyone speaks of......but perhaps that because im running a forged crank (heavier)? I dont know. I cut 1.8 60' times and im spinning the tires pretty good at that. But, thats on an 8V motor, so its a different animal.

mark
11-20-2007, 01:32 PM
ok, just ordered the fidanza lightweight steel one thats been balanced.

my wife is going to absolutely kill me.

so, rochester guys, If you see me on the side of a milk container, you know what happened. please give explicit details to the C.S.I unit. Don't let her pull the "He just took off and left" thing either. She killed me.

turbovanmanČ
11-20-2007, 01:50 PM
ok, just ordered the fidanza lightweight steel one thats been balanced.

my wife is going to absolutely kill me.

so, rochester guys, If you see me on the side of a milk container, you know what happened. please give explicit details to the C.S.I unit. Don't let her pull the "He just took off and left" thing either. She killed me.

Hahahhha, priceless. I ordered some Koni's, ditto for me, ;)

csx452
11-20-2007, 02:24 PM
The lighter the flywheel, the faster the engine will speed up BUT on the other hand, you lose inertia soo the engine will want to stall when letting out the clutch if its too light.

I would honestly stick with a stocker or a lightened stocker for the street, :nod:

I'm considering a different flywheel for my CSX. Does anyone know what the stock flywheel weighs? It'd be nice to see what the weight difference was between all 3 flywheels.
Frank H.

Murphy
11-20-2007, 03:33 PM
I believe the stock flywheel weighs 16lb, aluminum weights 8

if you do a search in the tranny secton ther should be alot of info

Vigo
11-20-2007, 04:58 PM
one thing worth noting for tIII owners is that the loss from spinning the flywheel is exponential the higher you rev.. so tIII theoretically have more to gain then the 8v guys because they rev 1000-1500 rpm higher on a regular basis.

compliment it with cut balance shafts and a udp and there will be SERIOUS differences in the way the thing revs and you'll gain a lot of power at higher rpms.

i also think most people who have problems driving smooth with the flywheels is because they went to a less friendly clutch at the same time.. imo that makes more of a difference in annoyance when rolling out from a stop.

iTurbo
11-20-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm trying to find an aluminum flywheel for my TIII SL project. I will probably just get the lightweight steel Fidanza instead though. I know TU 'sells' the aluminum one, but I can't get a straight answer as to wether or not they actually exist or they are just waiting for people to order one before they will actually get made. WTH??

csx452
11-20-2007, 07:27 PM
I believe the stock flywheel weighs 16lb, aluminum weights 8

if you do a search in the tranny secton ther should be alot of info

Thanks. Stock -16 Lightened steel - 13.5 Aluminum - 8
Decisions, decisions!!!!!
Frank

csx452
11-20-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm trying to find an aluminum flywheel for my TIII SL project. I will probably just get the lightweight steel Fidanza instead though. I know TU 'sells' the aluminum one, but I can't get a straight answer as to wether or not they actually exist or they are just waiting for people to order one before they will actually get made. WTH??

They are made by Fidanza already. You can get them on tons of internet sites, but our vendors have the best prices on them. Not sure if they fit the 16 valve cars though.
Frank H.

iTurbo
11-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Oh I know all about the 'regular' Fidanza aluminum flywheel. But what about this mythical TIII aluminum flywheel with the steel outer ring with cutouts for the crank sensor. Does this really even exist?

bansheenut420
11-21-2007, 08:22 PM
My stock T3 flywheel weighed 18lbs. My lightweight fidanza weighed 13. I do have a four puck, and that does make slow takeoffs, interesting. But the way the thing revs TOTALLY makes up for it.
And no Jeremy, I dont think the alum. one exsits for the t3 guys. I had the same problems when I asked about it.

Ondonti
11-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Call chris about this aluminum t3 wheel I guess?

I love the aluminum flywheel.

I did learn that on a v6 motor that is making big power that aluminum flywheel is a bad idea for the crankshaft (at least on a 3.0 mitsu above 700whp for forged crank and probably 200 less for cast)) but not a problem for my daily driver.
I dont think inline engines have this problem because they have a LOT more mains per cylinder then a V-motor. Lucky.

I think sometime in the next few months I will be putting the fidanza aluminum and solid 3 puck on my daily driver since my sundance has surgery appointment.

I learned to drive 5 speed on a fidanza aluminum flywheel and 4 puck +40% PP setup so IMO there is no replacement for an aggressive setup like this for fun driving.
Compared to stock flywheel and stock clutch (in Spirit now) the engine just feels sluggish and unresponsive.