PDA

View Full Version : got a turbo (1st gen) neon question

cs daytona
11-18-2007, 03:36 PM
i gave my old t2 garrett to my shop foreman to rebuild for himself. next thing i know hes making a manifold for his SOHC 96 neon.

so long story short, hes got it all in and running (daily driven for about 3mos now). my question is how can he richen up the mixture a tad without dishing $300 for a AFC. i aquired an adjustable resistor from my bro. could i use that for something? he says it runs richer and better in open loop while its cold.

hes got the wastegate hose with no controller, running only 5-6 psi.

any help would be appreciated

travis

turbovanmanČ
11-18-2007, 03:39 PM
He needs a turbo fuel pressure reg or run an FMU, thats about the cheapest way.

contraption22
11-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Run a return line back to the tank, and a conventional fuel pressure regulator, bypassing the OE regulator. If he is only going to be running 5-10 psi, than a RRG or FMU will help!

cs daytona
11-18-2007, 04:15 PM
thanks funny cus i told him the samething. he says its too much work as if the turbo was easy enough. i just wanted to see if there was a common "tiny easy trick" thanks ill pass it on

travis

ShelbyTurbo
11-18-2007, 06:05 PM
You could try to crush the stock regulator on the fuel rail to get a few extra psi, though I don't know of anybody going that route.

Pretty much the best way to do it I think would be to do what was said, run a return line to the tank and use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and tune accordingly.

For the most part Neon's tend to run on the rich side anyways, its nice to know that they like a few pounds of boost.

t3rse
11-19-2007, 09:42 AM
convert it to a socketed old school computer and flash it. probably the cheapest and best way but would require some work.

boostjunkie_07
11-19-2007, 11:37 AM
i have a buddy that is running 8psi on a stock sohc 5-speed neon all he did was run a return line and put in stock t2 injectors and ran a 13.62 at 99mph on street tires no regulator upgrades no comuter ugrades nothin oh and he is also running a t3 turbo off of a turbo coupe thunderbird

mario03SRT
11-19-2007, 01:51 PM
A SAFC will not increase fuel.

Returnline, Bigger Injs, Rising Rate Reg.............

Ondonti
11-19-2007, 03:27 PM
A SAFC will not increase fuel.

Returnline, Bigger Injs, Rising Rate Reg.............

I understand the SAFC part. I can never remember why they dont work with our ecu's I just remember the "no workie" part.

If they did work they cost about the same as the RRR+ injectors option so $$$ doesnt have anything to do with the decision IMO. Just have to use what works.

mario03SRT
11-19-2007, 05:00 PM
I understand the SAFC part. I can never remember why they dont work with our ecu's I just remember the "no workie" part.

If they did work they cost about the same as the RRR+ injectors option so $$$ doesnt have anything to do with the decision IMO. Just have to use what works.

Well they will work but a fuel piggy back (take your pic) only reduces the amount of map voltage (and leans the fuel) that is received from the sensor. Max volatge output from a map sensor is 5v, so it cannot be "overdriven" to 5.1 or 5.4 for examples to simulate more mani pressure and therefore needing more injector pulse. The ecu will throw a code and the car will go limp mode.

I'd add a 1 to 1 regulator, raise the fp and leave it at that if he only wanted a couple more lbs of fuel w/o screwing up the idle/closed loop operation. The ecu will adapt that small amount out.

The key to getting an afc/piggy back to work correctly on a boosted car is to use the map signal and not the tps as the input reference signal per the instructions. I plan on adding one (turboXS DTEC) here this winter to clean up my "cal" for WOT etc.

FYI,
Marion

boostjunkie_07
11-19-2007, 05:55 PM
it does work trust i have rode in this car it works jus fine a map clamp and it works for stock stuff anymore than 8psi is trouble unless you can get more fuel haun racecraft makes a thing called the port fueller you can run 15psi on stock internals if you feellike spending 2000 bucks but trust me the t2 injectors turbo and map clamp work very well

cs daytona
11-19-2007, 09:34 PM
what is the map clamp?

traivs

Aries_Turbo
11-20-2007, 12:14 AM
i was a little worried till i saw that he was at least running turbo injectors.... then i got worried again cause isnt the neon ecu for high z injectors only?

i say if he went to the trouble to install a turbo anyway, he should finish the install with a return line, a boost referenced adjustable regulator (to lean out the idle) and a Rising rate regulator to richen it up as the boost goes up.

www.turbodiy.com has some diy rising rate stuff that doesnt look too hard.

id do a megasquirt and some DSM 450cc injectors myself.

Brian

boostjunkie_07
11-20-2007, 01:01 AM
map clamp is is a diod (sorry for spelling) it plugs into the map sensor to fake out the computer, so it thinks your running wot so it doesnt read boost there for you dont have a dead spot in the trottle works really well you can get one at pretty much any tv repair shop make sure it doesnt go over the max voltage on your map

Sgt Craig
01-20-2008, 06:54 AM
You could try to crush the stock regulator on the fuel rail to get a few extra psi, though I don't know of anybody going that route.

Pretty much the best way to do it I think would be to do what was said, run a return line to the tank and use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and tune accordingly.

For the most part Neon's tend to run on the rich side anyways, its nice to know that they like a few pounds of boost.

Thats not a regulator on the fuel rail of some neons.Its a acumalator(sp?). all the regulators on neons are in the tank. I have seen some use a modded T1 or T2 rail and use one of the rail mounted regs.

Sgt Craig
01-20-2008, 06:58 AM
it does work trust i have rode in this car it works jus fine a map clamp and it works for stock stuff anymore than 8psi is trouble unless you can get more fuel haun racecraft makes a thing called the port fueller you can run 15psi on stock internals if you feellike spending 2000 bucks but trust me the t2 injectors turbo and map clamp work very well

15 PSi even with the portfueler wont work too long on a stock neon bottom end. Stock DOHC and SOHC are notoriously weak with anything over 10 psi. The portfueler is around $1000 and works very well.

Aries_Turbo
01-20-2008, 04:23 PM
15 PSi even with the portfueler wont work too long on a stock neon bottom end. Stock DOHC and SOHC are notoriously weak with anything over 10 psi. The portfueler is around $1000 and works very well.

a Megasquirt setup for a neon is cheaper even if you buy it prebuilt and it can do timing as well.

nothing is going to work well on a car at 15psi if you dont address the timing.

Brian

inmyshadow
01-21-2008, 01:40 PM
He could go with the 2gen Neon 58PSI regulator.

later

boneyardracing
01-21-2008, 05:30 PM
^ Just going to say that.

Best solution: 2gn reg and #24 injectors
Good: SRT injectors 2gn reg
Bright idea: E-bay chip

mario03SRT
01-31-2008, 03:37 PM
a Megasquirt setup for a neon is cheaper even if you buy it prebuilt and it can do timing as well.

nothing is going to work well on a car at 15psi if you dont address the timing.

Brian

Dunny ran 8-9 psi on a SRT swap on a 2.0 !st Gen. We tuned it to low 11 afr's. The first time he took it out in the cold and it overboosted to 11-12..........we found a big puddle of oil.:yuck: