PDA

View Full Version : Putting a 2.2/2.5 into a pre-smog vehicle?

JonsGottaDusta
11-16-2007, 11:49 PM
You guys seem to be the pro's here so I figured I would ask. I am building a 1946 Dodge PU and am considering making it a fenderless Desert mobile:D

Anyways, does anybody know what it takes to swap it including computer w/EFI to a non-TM? I don't know if the computers do crazy things w/o stock gauges and such, I know the new Hemi's do and such... but these are much older. If you guys have any info/input lemme know.

- Jon D.:thumb:

p.s. I didn't ask this in another forum cuz I couldn't find one that really fit what I was asking :o

Clay
11-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Im guessing your talking RWD here? correct?

Either way, it really shouldn't be a problem. You need to decide what control system you want. IE logic module, SBEC, or SMEC. SMECs and SBECs are all inclusive computers, ie no need for a power module like the LM computers.

Next its really just a matter of mounting the engine in the car, setting up the trans, high pressure fuel system w/ return, and hooking up all the wires. There shouldn't be any issues with gauges really, other than hooking up a speedometer to work.

JonsGottaDusta
11-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Yessir, I have a Dakota 5-spd tranny and bellhousing, I heard those are what you can use? I even heard a 904 tranny will, idk though? I can do the motor mounts and all that. Its just the computer part I was unsure of. My friend is putting a '42 Dodge PU on a Dakota chassis right now and is using pretty much everything.

"IE logic module, SBEC, or SMEC. SMECs and SBECs are all inclusive computers, ie no need for a power module like the LM computers."

Please elaborate on this? Are these like stand-alone EFI computers or what? I am not very schooled in the TM world as of yet.

- Jon

Clay
11-17-2007, 12:27 AM
logic modules and power modules were used together (2 seperate computers) to run these cars (turbo mopars) until 87. 88 -> 89 were SMECs which was a factory computer, then in 90+ they went to a SBEC computer.

The SMECs and SBECs are standalone factory computers. IE you use them and nothing else to run the engine.

Lots of good info here: www.thedodgegarage.com and lots of good info on the computer controls here: http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_pfi.html

turbovanmanČ
11-17-2007, 12:34 AM
Our computers require a few inputs, and of course, there mostly on the engine so putting it into another vehicle is really cake. I would use a 88-90 setup as 91 starts to get weird. As for guages, these won't affect the pre 90 stuff so thats ok. The only hardish part would be getting the speed sensor to work correctly.

moparzrule
11-17-2007, 11:48 AM
I don't even know where the speed sensor is in my 90' dakota LOL.